NBER white paper comparing ER physician and NP productivity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberMaxx

Doing math in pen
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This white paper was recently posted in a non-SDN radiology forum which I thought may be of some interest here. It is recently released paper from an economic think tank (National Bureau of Economic Research) which compared MD and NP productivity in the VA. Some nuggets from the abstract include:

"... we find that, compared to physicians, NPs significantly increase resource utilization but achieve worse patient outcomes."

"Counterfactual analysis suggests a net increase in medical costs with NPs, even when accounting for NPs’ wages that are half as much as physicians’."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
“Using data from the Veterans Health Administration…”

This white paper was recently posted in a non-SDN radiology forum which I thought may be of some interest here. It is recently released paper from an economic think tank (National Bureau of Economic Research) which compared MD and NP productivity in the VA. Some nuggets from the abstract include:

"... we find that, compared to physicians, NPs significantly increase resource utilization but achieve worse patient outcomes."

"Counterfactual analysis suggests a net increase in medical costs with NPs, even when accounting for NPs’ wages that are half as much as physicians’."

Well in the VA a cost is a cost .. they all go in the same ledger .. they pay the facility fee and the lab cost and the rads cost and the physician billing whereas with everyone else the goals aren’t aligned that way .. the insurance company wants us to order less tests but the hospital profits if we order more.. so I’m not surprised that this came out of the VA rather than like .. ascension

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In related news, water is wet.

How many times a shift does a PLP come to you with a case and you wonder "why they got a (CMP/CBC)" and you ask them, only to have them respond with a shrug and something like: "Well... I had to do something" - ?

Reactions: 8 users

How many times a shift does a PLP come to you with a case and you wonder "why they got a (CMP/CBC)" and you ask them, only to have them respond with a shrug and something like: "Well... I had to do something" - ?

Had to do something
Did not want to drain the boil
So I ordered labs

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Thanks for posting this. Even seemingly obvious things (perhaps ESPECIALLY the obvious) should be assessed scientifically.

We just need to have US Healthcare decisions actually be motivated by cost containment and better outcomes in order for this data to have an impact. The VA is one of the few venues in the US where this is the case.

Reactions: 6 users
Just think it's funny that they are measuring productivity at the VA

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Yes, but it helps to have actual numbers to back up what we know to be common sense to combat the AANP funded and conducted pseudoscience.

Reactions: 1 users
We’ve got people coming up with insults in Haiku format.

Lol.

I love this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's some midlevel logic that I seem to see all the time: they'll order unnecessary labs or scans 'because the patient's been waiting so long, I felt bad for them'. Leaving aside the fact that they're extending that specific patient's total length of stay unnecessarily, as well as the fact that meaningless labs or imaging, literally, mean nothing (not to mention the misplaced guilt over someone who chose to come to the ER and wait hours for what is inevitably a plainly obvious nonemergent complaint), they never seem to realize that they are compounding the problem!

We need to circle back to boil being one syllable. It it an accent thing? How could anyone think thats one syllable?

We need to circle back to boil being one syllable. It it an accent thing? How could anyone think thats one syllable?
In conjunction, I recall a "roiling boil" (a very vigorous boil, as for Mexican hot chocolate, to which was alluded in Laura Esquivel's Like Water For Chocolate, which, at the time, was the best movie I'd ever seen, although I didn't read the book). "Roiling boil", to my ear, has 5 syllables.

Wow, I had no idea my post shift poetry could start such controversy.
First I had “thing”
Then I thought it might not convey the laziness of pretending an abscess needed something besides i&d, but that’s like gross eww
But abscess is unequivocally 2 syllables
So I settled on boil. Idk I feel like it has more than 1 syllable but less than 2 somehow?

1 syllable.
You don't say "BOY-YULE" like you were a white guy mouthing off lyrics in a Jay-Z song.

I got 99 problems, but this ain't one.

Rap patrol with the boil patrol.
Foes that wanna make sure my casket's closed.
Forum critics that say he's money-cash-hoes.

No matter how minimal the emphasis on the "l" in boil is, no one is pronouncing boil as "boy" and there is no way to make any variation of an "l" sound without introducing a vowel sound and thus a new syllable.

Reactions: 1 user
The only way I can think of to make boil into two syllables even in the south is by calling it a risin ie the other name for it I encountered in ol' dixie.
I almost DFO'd the day I saw "rising on my pie" listed as a chief complaint.

I love this thread. Reminds of all the debates I have in the doc box on shift. Nothing to do with medicine. All to do with interesting.

Bo-il, is it one
Or two? Depends on how far
in the South the drawl.

And I would expect
No less than haiku as the
Preferred method here.

Reactions: 3 users
I love this thread. Reminds of all the debates I have in the doc box on shift. Nothing to do with medicine. All to do with interesting.
I’m sitting here reading with my first grader dying laughing because he’s saying sell-boat instead of say-yul-boat and it’s the same thing isn’t it 🤣

Thought the contrary
Who splits boil into two beats
BOUHL not Boy-Yal, ya’ll!

Lestin' har, if we say boel and y'all says boe-el, wells its all da same up in cheer. Up yunder, dem yanks say it weird. C'mon down har and let us shows yew sum good ole Suthern hospitality. I'm fixin' to drane a risin as we speak.

• Love
This research shows what we all know. LLPs dont know a lot, their workups make no sense and the more independent the dumber the workups and the more patients suffer.

Here's some midlevel logic that I seem to see all the time: they'll order unnecessary labs or scans 'because the patient's been waiting so long, I felt bad for them'. Leaving aside the fact that they're extending that specific patient's total length of stay unnecessarily, as well as the fact that meaningless labs or imaging, literally, mean nothing (not to mention the misplaced guilt over someone who chose to come to the ER and wait hours for what is inevitably a plainly obvious nonemergent complaint), they never seem to realize that they are compounding the problem!
Rename the ER to "Tests 'n Pills™" and you just answered your own question.

Just had the question: "did you get a blood gas?" Umm, no, why? They're hypoxic from CHF, we already have enough data... :(