Department of Defense Pharmacist Credentialing Waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nampa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the credentialing process and pharmacists at DoD? Apparently,it's new. How does one get a waiver for a credentialing issue? In my case, they hired me not knowing they would need a credentialing process and are applying for a waiver. My friend said waivers are tied to job classification? I need help.

Apparently, this is new and there isn't much information.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacists need to be credentialed so I don't think that waiver will fly. There is a process which takes a month or two depending on deadlines being met. Pretty much they are checking your license and education to ensure you can legally work the position. Don't worry about it "failing" unless you are not licensed(!?) but the on-boarding process takes a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacists need to be credentialed so I don't think that waiver will fly. There is a process which takes a month or two depending on deadlines being met. Pretty much they are checking your license and education to ensure you can legally work the position. Don't worry about it "failing" unless you are not licensed(!?) but the on-boarding process takes a while.
The only time a waiver was granted from my memory is when a uniformed servicemember transfers from HHS or DHS to DoD and it is a formality as the other two agencies have similar credentialing standards .

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure who to contact about this as the credentialing man at the base seems misinformed and has delayed the waiver paper work.
I was hired and had a start date, then told a couple of months ago that there was a new dod rule that stipulates that 'clinical pharmacist', in this case someone adjusting meds in an ambulatory care system, needs a residency or a bps in outpatient medicine/amb care.

The director has requested a waiver. how does this process work and what does it mean? I am not happy with the lack of action by the credentialer on this process. He says he has been busy the last 1.5 months and says he will start the process Monday. (He doesn't respond to emails and has no answering machine, so I check in on him every two weeks or so with a cold call.)

I suspect this is the requirement, but the job app on usajobs was generic for the country, so I do not know specifics:

Board certification: Board Certification in one of more pharmacy specialties recognized by the board of Pharmacy Specialties OR completion of a clinical pharmacy residency or fellowship accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacist or American College of Clinical Pharmacy.

Last edited:
Pharmacists need to be credentialed so I don't think that waiver will fly. There is a process which takes a month or two depending on deadlines being met. Pretty much they are checking your license and education to ensure you can legally work the position. Don't worry about it "failing" unless you are not licensed(!?) but the on-boarding process takes

From my understanding, the license, degree were already verified, but after the fact, HR mentioned the new requirement of board cert or a residency, and that is the the process now being started. (I just found out the credentialing office sat on the problem for a month but they mentioned that they would start Monday.)

How long would that take and is there a way to expedite it?

From my understanding, the license, degree were already verified, but after the fact, HR mentioned the new requirement of board cert or a residency, and that is the the process now being started. (I just found out the credentialing office sat on the problem for a month but they mentioned that they would start Monday.)

How long would that take and is there a way to expedite it?
I feel like that HR is making things more difficult. I would think a month or two and I don't know how to push it along.