Depo Provera + Antibiotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is one that some people may not have thought about:

Does a patient on Depo Provera need to use a back up method of contraception when taking an antibiotic? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

no the reason they need one to start with is because when you are on antibiotics the normal flora in the gut can be killed. this normal flora normally breaks down birth control to its active form. on an antibiotic oral BCs are excreted unchanged.
depo-provera does not have to be activated by the gut.
the end.

though a second method of BC never hurts and they actually recommend that ALL patients on the pill use condoms just b/c of the likelyhood that mistakes can be made in taking BC.

I've always been a bit skeptical of the interaction b/t OCPs and antibiotics. Recently, I heard that I the newest evidence suggests that there is not an "interaction". Does anyone have current info on this jibba-jabba? I pity the fool....

Doesn't the proposed mechanism have something to do with entero-hepatic recycling?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty tricky. Think about enzyme systems and effects on progesterone levels. (I think that just about gave the farm away....)

As a devout Catholic servant for our lord, Jesus Christ, I feel that the patient shouldn’t be on Depo to begin with, nor any contraception. The only acceptable form of birth control is the Rhythm Method. ;)

Caverject said:
As a devout Catholic servant for our lord, Jesus Christ, I feel that the patient shouldn’t be on Depo to begin with, nor any contraception. The only acceptable form of birth control is the Rhythm Method. ;)
Abstinence is unacceptable? I guess those straight egde kiddies are headed for the flames! :laugh:

Good hint, Gravy. :D
It's been pretty slow around here lately. It must be exam season.

patient needs to use a backup method due to increased metabolism caused by the inducing anti-biotic. New studies have shown thought that this can sometimes be insignificant and have nothing to worry about. Err on the side of caution and be conservative. Don't need some dumb chick suing me cause I didnt tell her about it.

Who the hell made you class teacher?

dunce.jpg