Depression: Who's Depressed?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by TylerDMD, Nov 25, 2005.

1. TylerDMD

TylerDMD Member
    5+ Year Member

I am for sure. All I do is study. I have no social life. My exams make me feel terrible every month. I have no money. I'm accumulating huge amounts of debt. My family is 2,000 miles away. I have nothing to look forward to for at least 3 more years. I'm sleep deprived. I feel guilty when I'm not studying. There aren't possibly enough hours in the day to complete my work.

The only thing that keeps me alive is the thought of all the luxuries I will buy when I'm out.

Yeh, I'm depressed.

I read some Harvard study that something silly like 50% of all people in health professional education are seriously depressed at sometime...

Anybody else?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I'm there and I am feeling your pain. I suffer from SAD, and with the weather getting nasty, it's only making things worse. I'm trying to keep my eyes on the goal as a way to help me get through in one piece. In the mean time my mother and grandmother both baked me some homemade medicine and mailed it to me: chocolate chip cookies. :love:

4. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Aawwwwwwww. The widdle dentaw skwuuw students feewing sad. Hey guys, i hope y'all feel better soon. here's my attempt to cheer u up:

1. You're alive and well! woopeee!
    2. You GOT INTO D-SCHOOL! I bet there are hundreds of kids just dying to be depressed about D-schools studying instead of re-applying and going thru the application CYCLE all over again.
    3. Y'all have a bright future ahead of you!
    4. Think of how many hours of 'old-age butt busting' you wouldn't have to do when you're 65years old.
    5. Soon enough the girls would be all over you and you nice ride/private jet ( :D ) and If you're a girl-- you can do all the shopping you want and they'll even close down Louis V and Prada just so you can shop in peace. :D :laugh:
    6. You're SMART! Hey you've made it this far!
    7. FINALLY and MOST Importantly, think of all the good deeds you will do with your degree, all the lives you will impact and change. Think of all the young kids that would look up to you and say, I want to be like...!
    NOW CHEER UP and get back to the books! :D

5. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep. I feel your pain. One word: removable. :scared:

No shame in talking to a shrink and getting some SSRIs.

6. Periogod

Periogod Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I really hope your Mandela quote isn't supposed to be a reference to dental school.

7. Dr. Future

Dr. Future Member
    5+ Year Member

I understand completely! I am so tired and I hate the feeling like I don't know where and when to start studying because there is so much information to learn! I don't mean to bitch and complain because I am so thankful for being in dental school, but everybody deserves to vent sometimes!!

8. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Actually, its a reference to D-School and everything in life worth achieving. :D

9. StarGirl

StarGirl .....
    10+ Year Member

no reason to be depressed, it's hard for everyone... not just health professionals... i think it's just cause we're at the age where we have a lot to worry/think about... no one has it easy (well...maybe those filty rich people that doesn't need to work etc but even they have problems.). You just gotta do what you gotta do and make time to do things you love :)

hope u feel better.

10. phremius

phremius Dentist
    10+ Year Member

um.... hate to do this to y'all but

sorry guys, I'm actually having a pretty good time here at school. I definitely study a lot, but have enough time to go out and party around once a week, watch both NCAA and NFL (more beer), keep up with my GQ/Maxim/Men's Health subscription, knock a book off of of my recreational reading list occasionally, oh and work out regularly (noticing all sorts of lines on my fat college ass) :D

life's good :thumbup:

so for you predents, do not despair, there is a life in dental school, and for my fellow dents, you can definitely make time if you can juggle things effectively. I dunno but some of the things I do are: If I was late the night before, I will not go to my morning classes to prevent sleep deprivation.(we have a large class and a transcription service). Also, I don't go to a lecture if I could learn the material faster on my own. Oh yeah, I always pretty much squeeze in a nap during my lunch break, a brief 30-45 minute shut eye is like a new lease on the later part of the day.

you can do it too, you just have to analyze your schedule and your day and manage your time effectively. :)

11. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I had a ball my first year too. Wait til 2nd year...

12. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Kinda what I was thinking.

13. ShawnOne

ShawnOne DDS over DMD
    7+ Year Member

This thread reminds me why I stayed in LA and attended USC. I'm almost done with 1st sem of 2nd year and life is pretty good. PBL is very manageable and i'm having fun in lab. I've been told next semester gets tough but im not completely convinced. :thumbup:

14. 3geminal

3geminal Member
    7+ Year Member

Book a ticket to someplace warm. Works for me...that and the self-medicating.

15. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    tell me the truth would rather be out working 8-5 every day same thing over and over?? or having a little excitment of studying ? ;)

16. konovsi

konovsi Member
    5+ Year Member

Compared to getting up for work at 5 30 am to beat the NYC traffic and coming back home at 6 30pm after being in traffic for 2 hours everyday , dental school I must say is a breath of fresh air.

17. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm with you on this. Life is great here in AZ. The weather is awesome (although it's bit chilly today--65 for the high!), and I'm doing tons of dentistry. I don't have any classes or exams to worry about. I've got some tough patients that frustrate me, but most of them are good. I'm booked out for a number of weeks, and hopefully that trend will continue into the new year. 1st and 2nd years were great (considering I was part of an inaugural class), and 3rd year tops both of those by far.

To those who are depressed, hang in there. It'll get better, and be sure to take the opportunity to laugh at yourself and your surroundings. Dental school is quite the humorous event.

18. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

According to a zillion studies and my own personal experience. Regular excercise will usually work as well as medications for depression. During my second year I made it a point of working out 3 times a week, and that was my saving grace. You have to force yourself to do it, and then you will enjoy it so much you can't miss it. You'll probably do better in school anyway.

Nothing wrong with seeing a doctor, though.

Also, remember that dental SCHOOL is not what being a dentist is all about.

19. deeyala

deeyala Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    me too, me too :D at least you study, try not studying and find out for yourself how much worse this is gonna make you ;)
    social life? that's a myth.. the closest thing i have resembling social life is having lunch with my DENTAL buddies (no one else seems to like going out with me during school- summer maybe) and complain and complain and complain...
    forget about the hollywood image of how college life supposed to be... every time i watch one of those films i think to myself ,'this is how college is? oooh! then sure i am not in college yet" :D and the only ones studying on those films are the nerdish, book-wormish types, so again i think to myself, 'aaaaaaah! that must be me"
    normal... if you said otherwise i would have doubted your sanity, really.:)
    .. last year during my finals i had an 'anal fissure' and the doctor said it was stress-related and that i was too tensed for my smooth muscles and sphincters to relax....
    it's my last year and i doubt i have anything to look forward to... i thought we graduated as dentists, i was WRONG .. it will take years and years of practice and hard work and many more no-social-life, sleep-deprived years :D
    i am not, but i feel guilty about sleeping, which doesnt' actually give me a good night's sleep...! and i have this habit of going to bed at , say, 2 am and setting my alarm at 4:30 am because i need to study before my 8 o'clock class.. needless to say, i never wake up.. just slam my alarm clock quiet and further contribute to rest-less nights
    same thing here.. something to do with our 24 hrs in a day thing.... 24 ONLY? :D

ME TOO, YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPI (trying to fake happiness :D:D) he he he he

Anybody else?[/QUOTE]

20. rocknightmare

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    the show must go on ;)

21. Trookie

Trookie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm loving dental school so far. I think the workload is manageable, and I've been able to go out with friends outside of dental school at least once a week whether I have exams or not. My grades are looking pretty decent, too. I think I would be singing a different tune if I were trying to specialize though, and certainly will be when 2nd year rolls around. I'm ready for it. One year of suckage isn't too bad considering the rewards in the long run.

22. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's what I call sharing!

23. deeyala

deeyala Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you guys were the only ones who hadn't already heard about it... :rolleyes:
    last year during one of my oral test (ahem, it was still fresh back then) i remember the examiner kept asking question after question and all i could think of was.. "stop it, i need to stand up right now"... :D
    luckily (and hopefully), this is my last year and it wil put an end to all my misery...
    just remember that there's no such thing as 'darkness", it's only 'lack of light'....! :)

24. BeachLuvr

BeachLuvr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think it's important to make sure you are surrounding yourself with encouraging people for starters :thumbup: Even if the rest of your entire class is being negative and depressing (let's hope not!) you make sure you're the one with the totally different attitude.

The key is not looking...waiting... for year 2, 3, 4, and beyond, but making the most of each day individually. Small perks...

Some ideas that work for me:
    Pack yourself a special treat in your lunch :)
    Work out with a buddy for a quick hour while quizzing each other.
    Choose at least one weekend day (sometimes we forget that there are 3 of those when the weeks start to run together) that you go out and do something non-school related.
    Get you some church.
    Get a great book and read it on the commute to school (if you're not the driver).
    Reshuffle those priorities.
    You know what works best for you. If you keep gunning at the pace you're at, sooner or later you'll crash. Think of the fact that hundreds of kids across the nation are doing the same thing :)
    The battle is 90% mental. You CAN do this :) and with that attitude...keep going!!!

Beach

25. rocknightmare

7+ Year Member

Dental Student

she says something!!! ;) how studying going?

26. Halcyon440

Halcyon440 On the fence
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is a gem! I recently figured this one out and it has completely changed my life. Truth is there are no guarantees about tomorrow. You MUST find ways to make today bearable and worth living.

27. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    What I cycle through when I am down...
    * Play arcade
    * Exercise
    * Call someone, well, that doesn't usually help because people don't tend to understand
    * Check email
    * Post on SDN
    * Go to the outdoors till I'm ready to turn around
    * Cook
    * Stop thinking
    * Tell myself to shut the f*ck up and suck it up "stfu&siu"
    * Read some religious books
    * See a counselor if necessary
    * Get sleep and realize that I'm simply tired, and there's no other reason behind it. I realized that most of my sad feelings are not feelings but due to being tired.
    * Think of how I can be of help to other people and be sincerely interested in other people
    * Read... "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living." http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/stop-worry.html I'm not trying to proselytze here, but I'm including the thread if you want more opportunity to procrastinate.
    * Remind myself to love myself more.

And in terms of SAD. I think I have some tendencies to it, so I light my room, tremendously. As I type, there are total of five bulbs in my room (3 flourescent, a 500 watt halogen, and 1 100 watt incaandescent.)

28. iwillkamvariyou

iwillkamvariyou Junior Member

Hey Guy,
    Whenever I feel depressed, I remind myself not to be depressed...

If I am feeling really down in the Mexico, I remind myself of things like unicorns and rainbows.

So, here's some advice if you're depressed - don't be depressed.

If you remain depressed, I JUST MAY HAVE TO COME OVER TO YOUR HOUSE AND KAMVARI YOU.

29. ProZackMI

ProZackMI Psychiatrist/Attorney
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tyler, you made a choice to spend 8 years of your life in a formal classroom setting. School isn't fun for anyone, be he/she an undegrad, med student, dental student, law student, or PhD student. Life will truly suck until you have graduated and passed your licensing boards.

Remember one thing, you need to balance school life with real life. Go see a movie. Go out to eat when you can. Visit your friends and family if they are nearby. Go out on dates when you can. Buy things for yourself when you can afford to. Don't buy into that crap that they try to instill into you in your first year. I remember my first year of medical school hearing some whiney ass professor say "You will have to spend about 60 hours per week studying. For every 4 hour lecture class, you will need to study 8 hours; for every 2 hour lab, you need to study 4 hours." That is utter nonsense.

School and grades are important, but so is living life. Some suggestions:

1) Take one day, either during the week or on the weekend, and devote that day to yourself -- not studying. See a movie, read a book, relax, sleep in, go out to eat, clean the house, cook, visit, etc. For me, it was always EITHER Fridays or Saturdays. I did nothing academic on those days. After my MD, and residency, I went to law school. I did the same thing in law school: took one day for myself only. Try it!

2) Take frequent study breaks to stretch, move around, and clear your head.

3) Try to stay off campus as much as you can. I did a great deal of studying in my apartment or at Beaner's or Starbuck's. Yes, it can be distracting, but sometimes it's nice to be away from campus.

4) Relax and picture yourself, with DDS in hand, 4 years from now, earning a ton of money with no emergencies, no residency, etc.

I have a friend who earned a PhD in pharmacology after an MS and MPH (12 years of formal post secondary schooling plus a 3 year fellowship) and only earns about 55K as a researcher at a research university. You made it this far. You only have 3 more years to go and you'll be fine. Unlike my friend, after you have your DDS, you'll be making a ton of money! :) It's not just you. Every medical, dental, law, pharmacy, graduate student has felt the same way at some point. However, in your case, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Also, as a psychiatrist, my advice is: stay away from anti-depressant medication if you can. Medication is not a good solution to a reactive type of depression. You're reacting to conditions that most people would find depressing. If you have health insurance, consider seeing a therapist (PhD psych or MSW) if you really feel down. Sometimes it feels good to talk to someone else who is objective. Comiserating with other students often makes it worse!

Cheer up and good luck, kid.

30. OMFSCardsFan

OMFSCardsFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You seem to be one strange dude. I'm not sure I want to know what "Kamvaring" is...

To Guy,
    Watch your cornhole, bud...

31. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree. Talking to other classmates takes more energy out of me than anything else. I rather just go stare at a wall and meditate, or talk to any other student from anywhere else.

32. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't know what kamvari is either. Can't find a good explanation of it on google.

33. springserene

springserene Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think kamvari is the guy's name.

34. TeethVader

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Buddy, this is definitely what makes Dentistry a hell worth going through!!!

35. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kamvari is super dirty Bombay style tantra. Whoever is being 'kamvaried' you are in for a wild ride.

36. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    have you kamvari anyone lately, Drhobie? =) Or have you been kamvaried? =)