Derm residency spots that require external funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rox

ossified
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any residency spots out there that require the applicant to secure funding. Sometimes those are tailored for international graduates. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There were a lot of crappy DO programs in Florida that did this. I would go so far to say any DO program in Florida. Hopefully they shut down with that merger. You would just work in some dudes private office. Some of them actually required you to pay them

Reactions: 1 user
I see. I’m wondering about MD ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. I’m wondering about MD ones.

There is a big need for pediatric dermatologists so some residencies will pay to support a trainee that completed a peds residency in the hopes that they will go on to be a pediatric dermatologist. Otherwise no, there are no ACGME residencies that require the resident to secure their own funding. Unless you’re looking to do a 2+2 residency in which maybe you need to support some of your salary through a grant. But these are very much ad hoc

B
There is a big need for pediatric dermatologists so some residencies will pay to support a trainee that completed a peds residency in the hopes that they will go on to be a pediatric dermatologist. Otherwise no, there are no ACGME residencies that require the resident to secure their own funding. Unless you’re looking to do a 2+2 residency in which maybe you need to support some of your salary through a grant. But these are very much ad hoc
I hope you are only talking about a second residency. I really hope we are not giving fast track options to pediatric residency grads to derm via peds derm fellowship.

B

I hope you are only talking about a second residency. I really hope we are not giving fast track options to pediatric residency grads to derm via peds derm fellowship.

Yes, I believe this is in reference to a second residency in dermatology (we had someone in our class who completed this pathway)

Interestingly, he did not go on to do a peds derm fellowship and I believe is only practicing gen derm currently.

Reactions: 1 user
So there is no perpetuating misinformation, there is NO "DO Derm Program", crappy or not, require the applicant to secure external funding. While I cannot say whether this is true or not in the 1980's, as of at least the past decade, there is no such thing.

So there is no perpetuating misinformation, there is NO "DO Derm Program", crappy or not, require the applicant to secure external funding. While I cannot say whether this is true or not in the 1980's, as of at least the past decade, there is no such thing.

Is this true? I've worked with quite a few DO residents in the South Florida area (within the last 5 years) and while I didn't pry into it too deeply, I did get the feeling there were a lot of confusing (confusing is the nice word I'm using, there are other adjectives that can be substituted in depending on which resident you spoke with) issues regarding funding for their residency slots. Admittedly, this predates the ACGME merger.

One Florida DO Derm Program comes to mind about 10 years ago where residents received no or half stipends (as in half of regular resident salary. I am not sure now) and many of them moonlighted outside of the training to make ends meet. The program closed about 10 years ago. There was a rumor where Advanced Dermatology provided loans to these residents and offer some sort of loan forgiveness or repayment upon joining their group on graduation. That is the only one I know of.

Since the closure of that particular program, all DO Derm programs to my knowledge, pay residents market salaries. It is true that many of them are still privately funded. However, the funding is provided either by the program faculty or mother corporation where the DO derm residents no longer have to secure the funding for themselves.

I am not sure if you know this. But Advanced Dermatology now runs its own dermatology residency program. It is funded by Advanced Derm and not by Medicare. It is also ACGME accredited. The private funding model maybe the way to fund future derm programs as it is not the priority for hospitals to use their CMS funding to train dermatologists.

The current state of the DO Derm Programs is that there are 5 programs will be closing in a year. There are only 8 Programs left in Pre-Accreditation status. All of these 8 programs fund the residents one way or another.

Last edited:
That's pretty interesting. I don't really know much about DO programs. Are you saying that there are only going to be 8 new programs as a result of the merger? I would have thought it was a lot more

There are only 8 DO Derm programs left. The rest are now ACGME or closing. I think about 16 programs just recently completed the transitions.

There are only 8 DO Derm programs left. The rest are now ACGME or closing. I think about 16 programs just recently completed the transitions.
In 2020 will these 24 formerly DO programs still accept residents who have only taken the COMLEX 1 ? Where will it state which boards it minimally requires for serious applicant consideration?

One Florida DO Derm Program comes to mind about 10 years ago where residents received no or half stipends (as in half of regular resident salary. I am not sure now) and many of them moonlighted outside of the training to make ends meet. The program closed about 10 years ago. There was a rumor where Advanced Dermatology provided loans to these residents and offer some sort of loan forgiveness or repayment upon joining their group on graduation. That is the only one I know of.

Since the closure of that particular program, all DO Derm programs to my knowledge, pay residents market salaries. It is true that many of them are still privately funded. However, the funding is provided either by the program faculty or mother corporation where the DO derm residents no longer have to secure the funding for themselves.

I am not sure if you know this. But Advanced Dermatology now runs its own dermatology residency program. It is funded by Advanced Derm and not by Medicare. It is also ACGME accredited. The private funding model maybe the way to fund future derm programs as it is not the priority for hospitals to use their CMS funding to train dermatologists.

The current state of the DO Derm Programs is that there are 5 programs will be closing in a year. There are only 8 Programs left in Pre-Accreditation status. All of these 8 programs fund the residents one way or another.

Very interesting. Is this the same Advanced Dermatology as the target of this NYTimes article on PE backed mega derm groups? Skin Cancers Rise, Along With Questionable Treatments

Very interesting. Is this the same Advanced Dermatology as the target of this NYTimes article on PE backed mega derm groups? Skin Cancers Rise, Along With Questionable Treatments

Funny you should bring this up... as I realize that Advanced Dermatology actually owns at least 2 (TWO) ACGME Derm Programs. There is the one that is run by Dr. Matt Leavitt as the program director. The other ACGME Derm program is in Michigan with Dr. Steve Grekins as the PD. He is the doctor quoted in the article for starting the Bedside Dermatology. That one is funded by Medicare, I believe.

Last edited: