Derm through Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason.lafluer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is doing a Pathology residency and then going into a Dermatology residency a viable thing to do? As in, would it work?

Members don't see this ad.

Is doing a Pathology residency and then going into a Dermatology residency a viable thing to do? As in, would it work?

It can work, but if your interest lies in dermatology, I'd recommend simply applying for dermatology and not taking the long way...

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of the OP's motives and situation, I think this is still a good topic to explore.

Regardless of the OP's motives and situation, I think this is still a good topic to explore.

How is this a relevant or good topic to explore? I'm not even sure what the OP is asking. It's hard enough to get a derm spot as a top US senior. It's harder still to switch from a different specialty or get a spot after completing a different residency. If the OP is asking if completing a path residency is a "special" way to get an advantage... No it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As deltamed stated, there's nothing to explore. This is dermatology, there is no backdoor way in. If you want in, apply straight out of medical school. As unappealing as it may sound to take a year off for research while in medical school, there's a reason why we recommend it so often. Your best chance to match is your first chance as a top med student from a US school.

Have there been path residents who have leveraged their way into a derm spot down the road? Certainly.

It's not a common or easy way of getting the job done though...

Yes. I've known people who have matched into Derm after path. They were very good candidates who fell through the cracks the first go round. There's no absolute answer to your question. The answer to viability is that there is variability. What type of candidate are you? What connections do you have? Do you happen to meet the right person who knows the right person? Are you lucky enough to have a screener pick up on something in your application to invite you for an interview? Do you happen to catch your interviewers on a good day?

With that being said, from reading your other posts regarding your non-renewal, my best advice to you would be to get your feet under you. Happiness comes in all shapes and forms and getting into a certain residency is not the key to anything. I know plenty of miserable derms and plenty of happy surgeons. Get your house in order and figure out what you want from life. Only get one shot at it.

As deltamed stated, there's nothing to explore. This is dermatology, there is no backdoor way in. If you want in, apply straight out of medical school. As unappealing as it may sound to take a year off for research while in medical school, there's a reason why we recommend it so often. Your best chance to match is your first chance as a top med student from a US school.

Have there been path residents who have leveraged their way into a derm spot down the road? Certainly.

It's not a common or easy way of getting the job done though...
wut

Reactions: 1 user

There are individual success stories here and there (e.g. I know a path resident who pursued a dermpath fellowship. The faculty loved him so much they pushed him towards derm as a career. He ultimately finished his derm residency at the same program.)

It's not something I'd consider reproducible as a backdoor path to recommend to others. Figure out what you want to do and apply for it...

Excelling as a dermpath fellow is one way for a pathology trained person to get accepted into a dermatology residency. I know a couple of people who did this but it is definitely a long shot.

Hello guys. I am an IMG ( no from the Caribbean's schools) path resident in a prestigious institution interested in doing Derm after path, I just fell in love with clinical Derm during my Dermpath rotations. I have decent scores I guess ( 243 step 1 and CK) some research experience with no publications by now. I know that Derm is close to impossible for IMGs. I wonder if one of the follow pathways can help me in getting a position in Dermatology:

1) Complete my Path residency ( I just started 2nd year) do Dermpath and then apply for Derm. During this time get involve in research and establish connexions
2) Do a Residency in Dermatology in Europe: France or Germany for example, do research , do a fellowship in Derm in the US and then apply in the US for Derm residency. In the latter my Medicare fund would be intact so I guess there are more options for me at the time of my application.

I am really frustrated about this situation but Im still young and I think I could make it, I just don't know which pathway is the best one, or what other one do you know.

Thank you guys!

there are so far good advices in this group.

Hello guys. I am an IMG ( no from the Caribbean's schools) path resident in a prestigious institution interested in doing Derm after path, I just fell in love with clinical Derm during my Dermpath rotations. I have decent scores I guess ( 243 step 1 and CK) some research experience with no publications by now. I know that Derm is close to impossible for IMGs. I wonder if one of the follow pathways can help me in getting a position in Dermatology:

1) Complete my Path residency ( I just started 2nd year) do Dermpath and then apply for Derm. During this time get involve in research and establish connexions
2) Do a Residency in Dermatology in Europe: France or Germany for example, do research , do a fellowship in Derm in the US and then apply in the US for Derm residency. In the latter my Medicare fund would be intact so I guess there are more options for me at the time of my application.

I am really frustrated about this situation but Im still young and I think I could make it, I just don't know which pathway is the best one, or what other one do you know.

Thank you guys!

there are so far good advices in this group.

I think option #1 is better. I would finish your current residency so that you at least have a job pathway. I would apply for dermpath at programs who have a history of taking their own dermpath fellows (it's a rare phenomenon but I've seen it happen before). You will likely still need research (as in, research yearS after you complete your residency and/or fellowship) and connections to make it. I think it's a better plan than #2 because if you fail with #1, you can still practice in the US. If you fail with #2, you are cooked.

Ultimately, I would step back and see how important derm is to you. If you can't see yourself doing anything else, it's worth chasing it but as you already know, you are facing an uphill climb. If it's a fleeting interest, it may be worth just continuing in path and doing dermpath so that you are doing something "derm related"

I think option #1 is better. I would finish your current residency so that you at least have a job pathway. I would apply for dermpath at programs who have a history of taking their own dermpath fellows (it's a rare phenomenon but I've seen it happen before). You will likely still need research (as in, research yearS after you complete your residency and/or fellowship) and connections to make it. I think it's a better plan than #2 because if you fail with #1, you can still practice in the US. If you fail with #2, you are cooked.

Ultimately, I would step back and see how important derm is to you. If you can't see yourself doing anything else, it's worth chasing it but as you already know, you are facing an uphill climb. If it's a fleeting interest, it may be worth just continuing in path and doing dermpath so that you are doing something "derm related"
Thank you for your advices. What about the residency funds. How could I get paid in a second residency? which options do I have?

thanks again

Thank you for your advices. What about the residency funds. How could I get paid in a second residency? which options do I have?

thanks again

You would have to check with others who have been through this process or your local GME office for details, I unfortunately know little to nothing about that pathway

I can think of two attending at major universities who were IMGs (granted they were both from Europe), who did a path residency and then matched into derm. Point is, it's possible