Derm VS Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which has the better lifestyle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Both are same I feel. 9-5 job .
But psych is less competitive than derma.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should’ve asked if anyone had a list of pros / cons list for each specialty to consider

I guess I should’ve asked if anyone had a list of pros / cons list for each specialty to consider

I would think it's fairly self-explanatory, the two fields seem pretty different to me (although I only have my 12 week psych rotation from MS3 as a reference point)

Derm is a field involving the skin, it tends to attract people who want a mix of medicine and procedures.

Psychiatry is a field involving the mind, I would think it tends to attract people who don't like procedures as much.

Both are lifestyle friendly although derm tends to be a more of a high volume field. In general, dermatologists make more on average but I've never met any starving psychiatrists and I'm sure there are plenty of high income psychiatrists.

There are some field overlaps with neurodermatoses and (jokingly and not so jokingly) if you see a lot of cosmetic patients.

In the end, you should rotate through both fields and the answer should come to you fairly quickly.

I would think it's fairly self-explanatory, the two fields seem pretty different to me (although I only have my 12 week psych rotation from MS3 as a reference point)

Derm is a field involving the skin, it tends to attract people who want a mix of medicine and procedures.

Psychiatry is a field involving the mind, I would think it tends to attract people who don't like procedures as much.

Both are lifestyle friendly although derm tends to be a more of a high volume field. In general, dermatologists make more on average but I've never met any starving psychiatrists and I'm sure there are plenty of high income psychiatrists.

There are some field overlaps with neurodermatoses and (jokingly and not so jokingly) if you see a lot of cosmetic patients.

In the end, you should rotate through both fields and the answer should come to you fairly quickly.
a US school has 12 wks of psych rotation!

Psych

Pro: You treat severe mental disorders with a fair share of addictions and pain issues, light on procedures.

Con: You treat severe mental disorders with a fair share of addictions and pain issues, light on procedures.

It's all up to who you are. You like skin or the mind? I will say when I succeed I'm a savior in the eyes of my patients, so I find tremendous satisfaction in my patient encounters. I'm fellowship trained so I offer expertise in pain and addictions. When you say lifestyle, both can give you great lifestyles. I'm in Psych and feel almost guilty how good I have it. Derm can say the same. Can you be more specific in what you are looking for? High pay, light on the hours? Both can do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There can be a lot of psych overlap in derm (prurigo nodularis/LSC, burning mouth syndrome, cutaneous delusions, etc) so you will get your fill. I know many people who were trying to decide between derm and psych, so I don’t think you quandary is uncommon.

a US school has 12 wks of psych rotation!

My memory is a bit hazy but I'm pretty certain it was 12 weeks, maybe it was 8 weeks? Either way, I knew I wasn't cut out for psych after a few days and while it was a lighter rotation, I felt like it dragged and dragged

I would think it's fairly self-explanatory, the two fields seem pretty different to me

But embryology! The brain/mind and skin arise from the same tissue.
Don't forget dermatologists are skin psychiatrists (psoriasis and severe MDD are linked) and plastic surgeons are body psychiatrists lol.

If you really can't decide:

1. Do a residency in both
2. Specialize in Dermpsych
3. Set up shop somewhere
4. Let me know where and I'll send you all my dermpsych pts.

I don’t know how lucrative this pathway would be but I do know it would be busy from day 1 with people sending cases from all over the country!

Jokes aside, it really would. It would be the perfect way to get people in to the proper care they need.

"Well, I think what you have going on is fairly complex and I'm not sure I can completely help you. However, I know of another DERMATOLOGIST who can. I will refer you to them."