dermatology as 2nd residency

Started by dermgo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dermgo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! New to this forum. I am currently a pathology resident, close to finishing. I have been preparing to apply for dermpath fellowship and have done multiple dermpath projects at my home program. In thinking about my career path, I feel that I still miss seeing patients, and going to the derm clinic was a lot of fun for me. Does anyone know how likely it is for me to get into a dermatology residency after my general anatomic pathology training (without subspecialty dermpath fellowship yet)? I was a decent med student, not a whole lot of honors, step 1+2 both 250-260, PhD with papers from years ago (non top tier). If this seems like a possibility, what would you recommend to do from this point on? Feel like hearing some advice from derm residents/attendings and those who are going through the match now.... You can PM me too🙂!
 
Can be done but your chances would be much higher if you were to apply with a dermpath fellowship in line. PM me for more information, if you want...
 
Also, I am curious --- since you are thinking of skipping a dermpath fellowship, I am assuming you are willing to give up pathology altogether and just do clinical dermatology?

When I applied to derm, I was in my last year of pathology and had a dermpath fellowship in line. When I interviewed for derm, I was very clear about my goal to practice both dermpath and clinical derm. I was not willing to give pathology up.

This is something you might want to make clear in your mind and convey with certainty during your interviews.