Dermatology in FP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PYT27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone :) I'm relatively new to this forum and decided to get some input: I love primary care and dermatology. I understand in FP, and I know there are alot of dermatological issues that are encountered. Would a fellowship in Dermatology (now being offered at UT-San Antonio) be helpful in dealing with these issues/drawing a greater dermatology patient base? Also, let's say a practice has a relatively large number of derm patients - would the net income draw closer to a dermatologist's income?

Just wondering . .. the other day I saw a job listing for FPs who want to work with a dermatologist. The derm would teach them MOHs surgery etc - sounds amazing. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Re: fellowship, I'd post the original thread but that would credit some of the inflammatory members who posted. Highlights below:

From a med student,
Seems like it would be a good deal for FP docs serving in rural/remote areas where their patients might otherwise not have access to Derm care...

I doubt it would be a good way to "backdoor" into Derm though...

From a dermatologist,
Would appear low utility, low yield, and overall worthless to me. Potential risk for "the blind leading the blind" -- no one with any more formal training than the fellow serving as mentor. Primary care docs, if interested, can already perform a great deal of basic dermatologic services without any fellowship. Will they be dermatologists? Of course not. Not even close, but one does not have to do a residency in dermatology to handle most acne, psoriasis, rosacea, etc.

From a FM attending,
Wow.... I guess if you are one of the FEW people that really love derm, but didn't match, this could be a chance to get more exposure. However, I've done quite a bit of work with underserved populations, and the patients often need skills that I don't have. But, I have never thought to myself, "Gee, if I had just had another year of derm training this patient's life would be so much better." You should be able to care for greater than 95% of derm problems after an FM residency.