Step II Dermatomyositis & Cancer

Started by Handinhand
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Handinhand

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to get some clarification on this as I feel like there's contradictory information I've seen about this on UWorld.

I've come across a UWorld question that states that Dermatomyositis can be the result of a paraneoplastic syndrome with a primary malignancy, usually lung cancer. However, I've also seen information that states that patients with dermatomyositis are at an increased risk for malignancy...

This seems like a chicken or the egg kind of situation. Is the dermatomyositis the result of malignancy, or is the malignancy the result of increased risk in Dermatomyositis? Is it both?