Dermatopathology Fellowship interview thread 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golf4mbs

golf4mbs
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it goes again!

I have listed the programs and (available spots). Number of spots are likely correct in most cases as I have taken them from their respective websites, but in some cases they didn't mention it and so I guesstimated it from various sources. You are welcome to edit them if you have reliable information.

Basically, at this point, I would like to invite senior members to discuss ins and outs of the programs they are familiar with. Any changes in leadership, status, reputation or program philosophy. A little later, candidates can start posting about interviews and offers, and whatever is on their mind! Let us have some fun.

State ____ City____ Program_________ (Spots) (Comments)
AL ____ Birmingham ____ University of Alabama ___ (1)
AR ____ Little Rock ____ University of Arkansas ___ (1)
CA ____ Los Angeles ____ UCLA Medical Center ___ (2) (2 years)
CA ____ San Francisco ____ UCSF ___ (1) (2 years)
CA ____ Stanford ____ Stanford University ___ (2) (2 years)
CO ____ Aurora ____ University of Colorado ___ (2)
CT ____ New Haven ____ Yale-New Haven Medical Center ___ (1) (2 years)
FL ____ Gainesville ____ University of Florida ___ (1)
FL ____ Miami ____ Jackson Memorial Hospital ___ (2) (program closed?)
FL ____ Tampa ____ University of South Florida Morsani ___ (1)
GA ____ Atlanta ____ Emory University ___ (1)
IL ____ Chicago ____ Northwestern University ___ (1) (2 years)
IL ____ Chicago ____ University of Chicago ___ (2)
IL ____ Hines ____ Loyola University ___ (1) (Filled for 2016)
IN ____ Indianapolis ____ Indiana University ___ (1)
LA ____ New Orleans ____ Tulane University ___ (1)
MA ____ Boston ____ Beth Israel/Harvard Medical School ___ (3)
MA ____ Boston ____ Boston University Medical Center ___ (1)
MA ____ Newton ____ Tufts Medical Center ___ (2)
MA ____ Worcester ____ University of Massachusetts ___ (1)
MD ____ Bethesda ____ National Capital Consortium ___ (2) (for military only)
MI ____ Ann Arbor ____ University of Michigan ___ (1)
MN ____ Rochester ____ Mayo Clinic (Rochester) ___ (2)
MO ____ St Louis ____ St Louis University School of Medicine ___ (2)
MO ____ St Louis ____ Washington University ___ (1) (Filled)
NC ____ Durham ____ Duke University Hospital ___ (1)
NC ____ Winston-Salem ____ Wake Forest University ___ (1)
NH ____ Lebanon ____ Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center ___ (1)
NY ____ Bronx ____ Albert Einstein College of Medicine ___ (2)
NY ____ New York ____ Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center ___ (2)
NY ____ New York ____ Mount Sinai School of Medicine ___ (1) (2 years, 0 spots this cycle?)
NY ____ New York ____ New York University School of Medicine ___ (1)
NY ____ New York ____ SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn ___ (7) (Corrected, 3-5 spots)
OH ____ Cincinnati ____ University of Cincinnati ___ (2) (Derm candidates only, program closed?)
OH ____ Cleveland ____ Cleveland Clinic Foundation ___ (1)
OH ____ Columbus ____ Ohio State University Hospital ___ (1)
PA ____ Danville ____ Geisinger Health System ___ (2)
PA ____ Hershey ____ Penn State University/Milton S Hershey ___ (1)
PA ____ Philadelphia ____ Drexel University College of Medicine ___ (1) (program closed?)
PA ____ Philadelphia ____ Thomas Jefferson University ___ (1) (program closed? or 2 spots?)
PA ____ Philadelphia ____ University of Pennsylvania ___ (2)
PA ____ Pittsburgh ____ UPMC Medical Education ___ (2)
RI ____ Providence ____ Roger Williams Medical Center ___ (1) (program closed?)
SC ____ Charleston ____ Medical University of South Carolina ___ (1) (Filled)
TN ____ Memphis ____ University of Tennessee ___ (1) (worthless - always an internal candidate)
TX ____ Dallas ____ ProPath ___ (2)
TX ____ Dallas ____ Cockerell Dermpath ___ (2)
TX ____ Galveston ____ University of Texas Medical Branch ___ (2)
TX ____ Houston ____ Baylor College of Medicine ___ (1)
TX ____ Houston ____ M D Anderson Cancer Center ___ (2) (2 years)
TX ____ Houston ____ University of Texas at Houston ___ (1)
VA ____ Charlottesville ____ University of Virginia ___ (2)
VT ____ Burlington ____ University of Vermont/Fletcher Allen ___ (1)
WA ____ Seattle ____ University of Washington ___ (1)

Members don't see this ad.

TN does not always take internal candidates. It is an 18 month program.

TN does not always take internal candidates. It is an 18 month program.
Gotcha, sorry this is actually a direct copy/paste from last year's thread so the info may be incorrect/out of date.

Members don't see this ad :)
On another note, does anyone know when most interviews take place? Some have said October is the most common, but I know for sure one program I applied to is interviewing in January. I have heard other programs try to interview quite early to secure a good candidate with the rolling admission process. TBH the rolling admissions is quite stressful, it would be very difficult to turn down an offer just to wait and see if you even got an interview from a program you really wanted. It seems to me that any program would be a great place to learn dermpath so I guess that is the good news! Also without ERAS application is free which is nice.

Also, does anyone know if UC Denver is 1 or 2 years? They have 2 different websites... one say one year, the other says 2. Although their application says 2017-2018. Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe Loyola is filled for 2017, as is JHU and MUSC. Yale and Northwestern are on 2-year cycles and are therefore not taking candidates in the 2017-2018 cycle. Someone can certainly correct me if I am wrong about any of that.

Last edited:
USF is off cycle as well and SLU is filled per their website

Last edited:
Does anyone know when most people start hearing back for interviews? Or has anyone heard back yet?

Does anyone know when most people start hearing back for interviews? Or has anyone heard back yet?

I'm wondering about this too.

After talking with some previous dermpath fellows it seems that it is highly variable unfortunately. I would assume not to expect an interview until after the application due date for each program, but that could be different based on each program.

I think it varies from interviews in Sept/Oct all the way out to Jan or Feb for some programs. To me this makes it difficult as it is rolling admissions and you likely won't get an opportunity to interview at every program you eventually get an interview at.

Also, there is always the chance that a program has filled with an internal candidate already, but I am not sure how to secure this info.

From what I have heard if you attend an interview the programs decision can vary anywhere from very soon (1 day-weeks) after on who they choose to several months if they do not interview everyone on the same day. After this time it seems that they only give you anywhere from 48hrs to 1-2 weeks to make a decision on if you want to go there. This makes sense as if you say no they have to move on to their next candidate.

Again, this is all word of mouth so I'm sure there could be a little bit better explanation out there and would love any further input from people who have been through it! It sure is very stressful, just hoping to secure a spot somewhere!

Received rejection from Geisinger today, so they are filled.

**Update** posted from anonymous source

Starting a log, please update using this template as information arrives:

Sent invites (Interview Date(s)):
Geisinger

Filled/Off Cycle:
St. Louis University
Loyola
USF (off cycle)
Yale (off cycle)
Northwestern (off cycle)
JHU
MUSC

Also, if anyone wants to PM me and update this thread anonymously I can add it to the list.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about this too.

After talking with some previous dermpath fellows it seems that it is highly variable unfortunately. I would assume not to expect an interview until after the application due date for each program, but that could be different based on each program.

I think it varies from interviews in Sept/Oct all the way out to Jan or Feb for some programs. To me this makes it difficult as it is rolling admissions and you likely won't get an opportunity to interview at every program you eventually get an interview at.

Also, there is always the chance that a program has filled with an internal candidate already, but I am not sure how to secure this info.

From what I have heard if you attend an interview the programs decision can vary anywhere from very soon (1 day-weeks) after on who they choose to several months if they do not interview everyone on the same day. After this time it seems that they only give you anywhere from 48hrs to 1-2 weeks to make a decision on if you want to go there. This makes sense as if you say no they have to move on to their next candidate.

Again, this is all word of mouth so I'm sure there could be a little bit better explanation out there and would love any further input from people who have been through it! It sure is very stressful, just hoping to secure a spot somewhere!

You got everything right :) This is exactly how it goes. Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
Geisinger

Filled/Off Cycle:
St. Louis University
Loyola
USF (off cycle)
Yale (off cycle)
Northwestern (off cycle)
JHU
MUSC
Virginia (per their website) it says 2017 positions - 0

Notes:
Per UC Denver website, only 1 position still available (total of 2 spots I believe)

Also, if anyone wants to PM me and update this thread anonymously I can add it to the list.

Congrats on the interview invite!

Anyone has I/V or offers ?? seems very quite so far...

please share
A lot of program due dates are fast approaching Oct 1st, I assume (or at least hope) that some invites or rejections will start coming shortly after that time! All we can do at this point is wait.

I would be very interested to hear from some current or past fellows what their interview experiences were like? Specifically:
Do most program have you read out slides with them?
How quickly do they generally make a decision on accepting an applicant?
Do they let you know once they have filled?
Do you feel it is better to go to a program with only 1 fellow, or is there an advantage to going to a program that has 2+?
Are there any specific questions I should be asking on my interviews?

Any other tips or advice would be great! I understand that the answers will vary widely by program.

Also if anyone had a great experience or a poor one at a given fellowship that would be great info to have. I am as always willing to anonymously post information for anyone if they are uncomfortable sharing this on their own account.

Thanks again! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user

Do most program have you read out slides with them?

I went on 4 interviews and canceled 2 more after I accepted my first offer. Of the 4 interviews, 2 had me sign out with them.

How quickly do they generally make a decision on accepting an applicant?

Depends. Usually just after the last interviewed candidate.

Do they let you know once they have filled?

Again, depends. I think mostly not, but could be wrong.

Do you feel it is better to go to a program with only 1 fellow, or is there an advantage to going to a program that has 2+?

I like 2+, but you have to gamble that the other person(s) is(are) cool to work with.

Are there any specific questions I should be asking on my interviews?

Make sure the program has fellows preview

Look for the program where you really feel you fit in...you will be working closely with those people daily for the next year or two.

Geisinger (now filled)

Filled/Off Cycle:
Gesinger
- confirmed filled
St. Louis University
Loyola
USF (off cycle)
Yale (off cycle)
Northwestern (off cycle)
JHU
MUSC
Virginia (per their website) it says 2017 positions - 0

Notes:
Per UC Denver website, only 1 position still available (total of 2 spots I believe)

Any news about interview invitations from Ackerman Academy in NY and how many positions they have this year?

hmmm... still have not heard much other than people confirming they got my application, a little discouraging.

Anyone heard anything, or any ideas on when the majority of invites start to come out? Looking through the old threads it seems highly variable each year, even between the same program. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

The year I interviewed, I think I had three invites by now. Two were from what could be loosely thought of as 'home programs', and another was one that was just earlier than most.

My other three invites were in October. I accepted my position the first week or so of Nov and canceled the rest.

I think starting about now is when it should hopefully pick up for all of you.

Harvard has sent out invites already, now sending out rejections.

Did anyone attend the asdp. I wasn't able to go this year unfortunately. Wanted to figure out if anyone has any scoop on which programs may be filled or any new info about interview invites! Thanks

got my harvard rejection today

Also heard, not confirmed that NYU, UCSF and arkansas may be full

Yes, I heard that too.
Anyone heard about any others sending out interviews now?

Did anyone attend the asdp. I wasn't able to go this year unfortunately. Wanted to figure out if anyone has any scoop on which programs may be filled or any new info about interview invites! Thanks

Update from ASDP : filled - Geisinger, MUSC, UAMS; interviewing - MSK, Michigan, UPMC, ProPath, Baylor, UCSF, UPenn, Harvard

I'm curious whether Harvard is interviewing this year. They didn't accept apps the year I applied because they had so many internal candidates. I had heard there are a lot of internal candidates again this year and was wondering if they are even interviewing or not.

I'm curious whether Harvard is interviewing this year. They didn't accept apps the year I applied because they had so many internal candidates. I had heard there are a lot of internal candidates again this year and was wondering if they are even interviewing or not.

I have heard of at least 1 person not from Harvard who is interviewing there

I also now know that Wash U in st. louis has now filled

Tulane filled

Others I know for sure: MUSC, Wash U, UVA, Geisinger, Indiana

Last edited:
neither did I. I believe last year they have sent out the interviews by this time... just have to wait and see.

I'm not certain, but I heard uva filled.. U Wash has also sent out invites

Certain that UVA has filled. I ended up reaching the coordinator/ or ? chairman's assistant. She was very rude in answering the call. Pointed that the website says available positions for 2017-18: 0 and asked me what it means...

Probably they don't like to talk to people and that goes to explain why there is no proper contact number on their website.

UPMC probably filled! I am certain that they have interviewed the candidates but not sure if they have filled??

Certain that UVA has filled. I ended up reaching the coordinator/ or ? chairman's assistant. She was very rude in answering the call. Pointed that the website says available positions for 2017-18: 0 and asked me what it means...

Probably they don't like to talk to people and that goes to explain why there is no proper contact number on their website.

Do you remember what # you called? My situation is a little different and I want clarification, which is why I wanted to talk in person.