Dermpath board exam results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torero

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the ABDerm January 2007 newsletter with regards to the 2006 dermapth exam…
34 dermatologists -> passing rate 94%
65 pathologists -> passing rate 57%

I think this might be related to the fact that dermatology residents receive more dermpath training than pathology residents, and go into fellowship with an advantage…

This is also a reason why in this country they can get away with reading their own biopsies without having to do a pathology residency or fellowship.

I think that pathology residency program directors should take a close look at these numbers, and push for more dermpath training during general pathology training.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the ABDerm January 2007 newsletter with regards to the 2006 dermapth exam…

I think this might be related to the fact that dermatology residents receive more dermpath training than pathology residents, and go into fellowship with an advantage…

This is also a reason why in this country they can get away with reading their own biopsies without having to do a pathology residency or fellowship.

I think that pathology residency program directors should take a close look at these numbers, and push for more dermpath training during general pathology training.
This might be the case but derm residents are pretty smart and good at taking these tests otherwise they would not be in derm to begin with!

The exam has a ton of clinical derm correlation on it. Then consider the fact it is focused, which is should definitely not be. Personally I would put a ton of general path on the exam, things like mets from a synovial sarcoma to skin, cutaneous lymphoms up the whazo and skip alot of the non-specific inflamm. skin.

To me it doesnt matter because Im not seeing a big future for someone doing ONLY skins. Give it time, but I think alot of skin as well as GU based 88305 charges are going to get reduced to 70-80%+ in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I don't understand why the dermpath board is exam is so focused towards clinical derm. Obviously, it's important, but so is general path. Why even bother having clinical derm people do 6 months of AP if they aren't even going to make them use it? They will use it in real life, that's the problem.

GI reimbursement should be reduced before GU - prostate cores require two to three slides plus blanks in between on each core. GI is one slide and less than 5 seconds for 75% of cases.

The billing system is weird anyway.

:thumbup:

i see those numbers and one of my first questions is who primarily writes the exam? i would think all question writers are dermatopathology board certified, but are most of them trained primarily as dermatologists or pathologists?

What the hell does this mean?

It means good news for me, cuz I always wanted to be a pathologist too so I can join the hella funny path forums and I wanna do a fellowship in dermpath eventually.

It means good news for me, cuz I always wanted to be a pathologist too so I can join the hella funny path forums and I wanna do a fellowship in dermpath eventually.

Move over, DPL!

How is the board pass rate gonna help you get a dermpath spot, BTW?

Do we have a new DPL in our midst?

He matched to Derm this year. Therefore, his chances of getting a Dermpath fellowship are higher than most Pathologists (in fact, he can almost be sure he will get one).

I'm just saying if I'm lucky enough to get one, coming from derm the OP said there is an advantage. And the program I'm going too has 3 dermpath fellows a year in the derm department and they take derms often.

At first I thought he was talking about move over DPL Therapy Skin Rejuvenation Light for the microscope light, but I guess not.

Okay I'm totally clueless, who is DPL? I wanna be down with the inside jokes in the path forums.:confused:

He matched to Derm this year. Therefore, his chances of getting a Dermpath fellowship are higher than most Pathologists (in fact, he can almost be sure he will get one).

I am well aware that he matched Derm this year (congrats Long Dong, BTW), I was just curious how the specific pass rate of derms on the dermpath boards is gonna land him a spot? I am also well aware that some programs prefer derm candidates, which, IMO, is of much more importance to getting a spot than seeing that the derm people have a high pass rate, which probably has little bearing on him as a candidate. :idea:

DPL, also belovedly known as Dermpathlover or Dermpathfanboi, is a regular poster on these forums, who claims that he is a path resident who has secured a dermpath fellowship for the 2009 academic year. He frequently comes in and posts about how much bank he is gonna make in private practice and gives unsolicited (and usually unwanted) advice regarding career strategies to make the most $$. We usually poke fun at him and he usually goes on unfettered by our harassment continually posting references to his coming "DERMPATH EMPIRE", which will most liklely be him working for Quest. Did anyone see that ass at USCAP? Didn't he claim he had three posters or some other bs? BTW, him and djmd are like best friends so be careful about what you say around here. :laugh:

This might be the case but derm residents are pretty smart and good at taking these tests otherwise they would not be in derm to begin with!

I disagree. Yes, Derm residents are very smart, and so are a lot of Path residents. NRMP did a study and tabulated the USMLE Step 1 Scores and publications, among other parameters, of matched applicants in the past few years and Path was always in the upper middle group, usually trailing behind Derm, Rads, and Ortho, but always above IM, FM, Peds, and OB-GYN.

Dermpath is so competitive and there are way more applicants than there are spots and so one would think that the fellowships would tend to get the best of the best (just because there are so many excellent candidates to choose from). I am sure the Path residents who get into Dermpath fellowships are just as smart as their Derm colleagues.

Do not forget the fact that the Dermies study Dermpath for 3 years, throughout their residency. And skin is all they deal with and nothing else. And then, those who do a Dermpath fellowship get an extra year of focused training. By contrast, Path residents usually do only a month or 2 of Dermpath during residency. Add to this the fact that the Derm residents, prior to taking the Dermpath boards, had just taken the Derm boards and thus had reviewed Dermpath quite extensively already.

As for the clinical stuff in the Dermpath boards, I would think that they are never asked outside the context of a biopsy (so if a test taker knows the cutaneous histologic inflammatory reactions by heart, the clinical information should only help him nail the diagnosis). In a recent article in the Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, sample Dermpath board questions for the international board certification (which is headed mostly by US Path-trained dermatopathologists like Sangueza and Smoller) were published. One was on a pityriasiform dermatosis. The clinical information saying that the biopsy was taken from a young female with new-onset erythematous plaques and papules on her extremities gave away the diagnosis (it could only be PLEVA given the histology and clinical picture and PLC and PR could easily be ruled out). A good Dermpath fellowship tecahes a Path-trained person important clinicopathologic correlations such as this one (at sign outs, at the clinics, and at Grand Rounds).

I don't think that Path residency programs need to change their curriculum to teach more Dermpath to their residents. The low pass rate among Pathologists is a result, not NECESSARILY of their incompetency, but of other factors mentioned above.