Dermpath Books

Started by maminr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maminr

Junior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. Can anyone help me decide which book to choose between Primer of Dermatopathology by A Hood and Practical Dermatopathology: Textbook with CD-ROM ? Which one would you recommend for a resident in AP with some interest in dermpath? Thanks.
 
I'd say neither of those. Weedon is an awesome book. No clinical images though. McKee is also a great book(s). It has the clinical with the path but is a 2 volume set. It all depends on how much you want to spend really. If you read Lever (which has a lousy appendix) you'll know a hell of a lot of dermpath and its relatively cheap especially if you get it used.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my experience, nothing beats Weedon as far as practical utility is concerned (and I'm not just saying this because he is australian, ask any dermatopathologist).
I have Rapini in my lab and have never used it; it may be good for preparing for exams but not practical. Barnhill is also quite useful and is a bit like a no frills Weedon.
I agree that Lever is excellent (especially the latest 9th edition, edited by David Elder. However, it has the worst index I have ever seen - every time I try to look up something, it is not in the index.)
Melanocytic pathology needs a text to itself and my recommendation would be Massi and LeBoit. The pics are only black and white but that doesn't matter.