Dermpath Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maminr

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Can anyone help me decide which book to choose between Primer of Dermatopathology by A Hood and Practical Dermatopathology: Textbook with CD-ROM ? Which one would you recommend for a resident in AP with some interest in dermpath? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Rapini is the new standard for residents to consult during preview at our program. I think it's a great book.

I'd say neither of those. Weedon is an awesome book. No clinical images though. McKee is also a great book(s). It has the clinical with the path but is a 2 volume set. It all depends on how much you want to spend really. If you read Lever (which has a lousy appendix) you'll know a hell of a lot of dermpath and its relatively cheap especially if you get it used.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, nothing beats Weedon as far as practical utility is concerned (and I'm not just saying this because he is australian, ask any dermatopathologist).
I have Rapini in my lab and have never used it; it may be good for preparing for exams but not practical. Barnhill is also quite useful and is a bit like a no frills Weedon.
I agree that Lever is excellent (especially the latest 9th edition, edited by David Elder. However, it has the worst index I have ever seen - every time I try to look up something, it is not in the index.)
Melanocytic pathology needs a text to itself and my recommendation would be Massi and LeBoit. The pics are only black and white but that doesn't matter.

NON-DP here, I use both Weedon and McKee. I really prefer McKee.