Describe a good interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIZ1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty open ended question so I understand if most people can't answer it. I'm just wondering what some interviewers look for and what some typical red flags would be.

Members don't see this ad.

The best advice you'll get for this will be from mock interviews imo.

We look for a person who is personable and at ease and perhaps even friendly, upbeat and who has some enthusiasm/passion for something they're asked about. We look for someone who can interpret social cues and respond accordingly.
We look for applicants who can communicate clearly in English and who have the ability to describe complex ideas and systems in a way that could be easily understood by a lay person.
We look for applicants who can demonstrate a familiarity with health care settings and the role of the physician and who are realistic about the practice of medicine in the 21st century.
We look for applicants who are curious and who have demonstrated this interest in learning more about the world through research and who can describe this research in ways that demonstrate their passion for investigation. (very research oriented school)
We look for applicants who care about people in need and who have demonstrated this by their community service and who can talk about it in a way that demonstrates that they care about people and not just as a box-check.
We look for applicants who are resilient and who can demonstrate an ability to bounce back from disappointment or failure.
We look for applicants who are self-reflective and who are able to identify their own areas of improvement.
We look for applicants who are team players and who work well with others and are respectful of others.

So, a good interview is one where the applicant has a pleasant conversation with the interviewer, makes good eye contact, speaks with good diction, vocabulary and grammar, reads the interviewer's non-verbal cues and responds accordingly, is able to speak about the application/record in a way that demonstrates compassion, resilience, self-reflection and respect for others.

It seems like the reward should be canonization rather than an offer of admission to medical school but there you have it.

Reactions: 59 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you walk out saying, yeah they want me.

But even then its not always predictable

My interview at Univ. Miami was great. I looked up my interviewer's name and saw his CV. We had a lot in common in research areas, and we were both Eagle Scouts. He asked me if I read any books during the interview, and turned out we both read the same book. We connected so well, it was like a long lost friend lol. He also played the same sport growing up that I play as a college athlete. We were like the same person.

Reactions: 1 user
We look for a person who is personable and at ease and perhaps even friendly, upbeat and who has some enthusiasm/passion for something they're asked about. We look for someone who can interpret social cues and respond accordingly.
We look for applicants who can communicate clearly in English and who have the ability to describe complex ideas and systems in a way that could be easily understood by a lay person.
We look for applicants who can demonstrate a familiarity with health care settings and the role of the physician and who are realistic about the practice of medicine in the 21st century.
We look for applicants who are curious and who have demonstrated this interest in learning more about the world through research and who can describe this research in ways that demonstrate their passion for investigation. (very research oriented school)
We look for applicants who care about people in need and who have demonstrated this by their community service and who can talk about it in a way that demonstrates that they care about people and not just as a box-check.
We look for applicants who are resilient and who can demonstrate an ability to bounce back from disappointment or failure.
We look for applicants who are self-reflective and who are able to identify their own areas of improvement.
We look for applicants who are team players and who work well with others and are respectful of others.

So, a good interview is one where the applicant has a pleasant conversation with the interviewer, makes good eye contact, speaks with good diction, vocabulary and grammar, reads the interviewer's non-verbal cues and responds accordingly, is able to speak about the application/record in a way that demonstrates compassion, resilience, self-reflection and respect for others.

It seems like the reward should be canonization rather than an offer of admission to medical school but there you have it.

Definitely saving this. Thanks!

This is a pretty open ended question so I understand if most people can't answer it. I'm just wondering what some interviewers look for and what some typical red flags would be.
Well I can speak from what I've heard from my parent who interviews for a med school.
The biggest things she points out when she has people who she doesn't recommend to the committee (which is rare) are that they seemed/ acted cocky, or were unfriendly, or couldn't give a good reason for "why medicine" / "why this school." Any of those things would for sure be a red flag.

Reactions: 4 users

This should be required reading for all applicants. Pure Gold.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask yourself if you were in his place, what questions you would like to have. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers everybody!

Reactions: 1 user