Describe a situation where you integrity was challenged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IllinoisStudent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you guys describe an actual situation where your integrity was challenged (a.k.a you did something wrong and low) and what you have done since then to make up for that fall? I think this way actually answers the question.

OR

Would you guys describe a situation where you had a strong compulsion/peer pressure/or something else.. to do something wrong, and you didn't do it? It seems that this doesn't really answer the question.

OR

Would you say that your integrity was never really challenged and explain how your good manners/character/... always prevented you from doing anything wrong? I think that it would apply to only very few of us.

Members don't see this ad.

IllinoisStudent said:
Would you guys describe an actual situation where your integrity was challenged (a.k.a you did something wrong and low) and what you have done since then to make up for that fall? I think this way actually answers the question.

OR

Would you guys describe a situation where you had a strong compulsion/peer pressure/or something else.. to do something wrong, and you didn't do it? It seems that this doesn't really answer the question.

OR

Would you say that your integrity was never really challenged and explain how your good manners/character/... always prevented you from doing anything wrong? I personally don't think that it is the best way to answer a question.
Definitely NOT the last way, because that is lying.

Both the first and second way work fine. I would choose the second way unless you have a really good example of how you screwed up but overcame and are a better person now because of it.

I think the second way does answer the question fine, since a challenge of your integrity does not have to be an "aka" for "you did something wrong and low" as you suggest. It can merely mean that you were tempted, or that you had an opportunity to do wrong but chose not to. A personal example would be the horribly rampant cheating that was going on in my physics II class. I could have easily cheated and gotten away with it(since the prof left us alone during the exams, and everyone was cheating), but I chose not to. *pats self on back*

evines said:
Definitely NOT the last way, because that is lying.

Both the first and second way work fine. I would choose the second way unless you have a really good example of how you screwed up but overcame and are a better person now because of it.

I think the second way does answer the question fine, since a challenge of your integrity does not have to be an "aka" for "you did something wrong and low" as you suggest. It can merely mean that you were tempted, or that you had an opportunity to do wrong but chose not to. A personal example would be the horribly rampant cheating that was going on in my physics II class. I could have easily cheated and gotten away with it(since the prof left us alone during the exams, and everyone was cheating), but I chose not to. *pats self on back*

Why is the third way lying??? I personally know a lot of people in that category who I can vouch for......

Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally use the second option. A real life story that happened to me fits that second description where a group of students had the copy of an exam for a lab final and I chose not to look at it - ended up making an A in spite of them.

sorry - not trying to gloat, i just think it's a good example

CanIMakeIt said:
Why is the third way lying??? I personally know a lot of people in that category who I can vouch for......
Jesus, Mother Teresa, maybe Dali Lama, and who else?

We must have different definitions of "challenges to integrity."