Thoughts on volunteering situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipase

Reaction score
I have a good chunk of hospital volunteering that is my main clinical experience (good pt contact). I also volunteer for a free clinic (setting up and taking bp/blood glucose at the food pantry and spreading the word). I am assuming this will also count as clinical experience.

BUT

I really have no non clinical volunteering whatsoever. I know schools typically look for this to see interest in working with underserved communities. Do you guys think my free clinic @ food pantry events can compensate for my lack of non clinical volunteering?

also: I know it’s not a hard requirement, but I am just wondering

Members don't see this ad.

Can you volunteer on the food pantry side? It sounds like it would be convenient.

Doing screenings on healthy people coming in for food sounds more like non-clinical any how.

Reactions: 3 users
I do agree that when you interact with people at the food pantry they are people, maybe called "clients" or a euphemistic honorific such as "Neighbor" or "Friend" but not "patient". You don't call people to the table saying "I'm ready for the next patient." Therefore, I would argue that you should describe this as a food pantry that also provides health screenings for such things as BP and blood sugar. Adcoms will see it as non-clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a good chunk of hospital volunteering that is my main clinical experience (good pt contact). I also volunteer for a free clinic (setting up and taking bp/blood glucose at the food pantry and spreading the word). I am assuming this will also count as clinical experience.

BUT

I really have no non clinical volunteering whatsoever. I know schools typically look for this to see interest in working with underserved communities. Do you guys think my free clinic @ food pantry events can compensate for my lack of non clinical volunteering?

also: I know it’s not a hard requirement, but I am just wondering
I had a really great experience at a local library tutoring adults preparing to take the high school equivalency test (has a new name now, previously GED in NY). Did it for three years during undergrad. Actually helped a few students pass the test. It was great.

Reactions: 1 user