Describe any activities requiring manual dexterity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marymatthews

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the question on AADSAS:
Describe any activities requiring manual dexterity (e.g. activities requiring hand-eye coordination such as cross-stitching, sewing, art, crafts, playing musical instruments, auto repair, etc.) at which you are proficient.

What are you guys writing for this exactly?
Any examples?
Are you supposed to explain?

Can you put down the same manual dexterity activities in the Extracurricular activities section?
List the same manual dexterity activities in the extracurricular activities section?
or is that redundant?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the question on AADSAS:
Describe any activities requiring manual dexterity (e.g. activities requiring hand-eye coordination such as cross-stitching, sewing, art, crafts, playing musical instruments, auto repair, etc.) at which you are proficient.

What are you guys writing for this exactly?
Any examples?
Are you supposed to explain?
Thanks

In all honesty, this statement from AADSAS should not require explanation!

The prompt provides you with example activities and tells you describe them.

How hard can it be? :confused::confused::confused:

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I am curious as to an example of an activity.... what would one write exactly?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously?

:smack:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm putting...painting and putting together models, and playing guitar.

/thread :scared:

Yeah, this shouldn't be a difficult section. But, to answer your question, put anything down that would be both constructive and shows your interests or hobbies. Notice how they have art, sewing, music, etc. but not things like World of Warcraft or nose-picking.

And don't make things up. Wouldn't it suck to go to an interview and be asked to knit something because you lied about it?

Proficiencies include molecular biology techniques, plumbing (soldering and pipe-fitting), and home maintenance (painting,
minor repairs requiring tools and gardening). I am also proficient in model building (large vessels and small planes), five stitches
of macramé (used to make jewelry), constructing a small-scale model train layout, graphic design, sewing (patchwork) and
computer hardware assembly. I also draw creatively with markers.

Just list what you do with your hands.

maybe guitar hero! but that is a bit risky :/

Can the stuff you put down here be the same stuff as extracurricular activities?
or is that redundant?

fly tying, knot tying, fishing, shooting, gunsmithing, wood carving, roofing, carpentry, autobody work, ceramics, sushi making

not that difficult to figure out

Can the stuff you put down here be the same stuff as extracurricular activities?
or is that redundant?

What about typing? 70 WPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I put that I sewed a quilt and was asked about it during one of my interviews. So you never know what will catch the attention of the ADCOMS.

I put that I sewed a quilt and was asked about it during one of my interviews. So you never know what will catch the attention of the ADCOMS.

So true! - I put live music mixing down (like a DJ), and was asked about this by an interviewer, who had a close relative who actually DJed full time.

:laugh:

lol I can't believe there's a thread for this. wow :laugh:

This question is practically wide open to interpretation.

I'm gonna put down Badminton(the competitive kinda) not the backyard stuff. It requires incredible hand-eye coordination.

auto repair & home repairs. There are plenty of guides out there that show you how to fix up your car and make minor repairs to your home.

play the piano. I'm asian. I'm pretty sure most asians were forced to play some instrument.

As someone noted, if only I can put down guitar hero. some songs are down right insane.

There are plenty of things we do that require hand eye coordination, we just don't really think about it.

Do you cook? food prep(unless you buy all precut items) requires hand eye coordination or you'll be slicing off fingers.

how about putting frosting on cupcakes or even a cake? You'd be surprise how difficult it is to decorate a cake. My sister dragged me to a free class.
It looks easy on tv and but is really hard to do.

Can you put down the same manual dexterity activities in the Extracurricular activities section?
List the same manual dexterity activities in the extracurricular activities section?
or is that redundant?

What about typing?

Seriously?

:smack:

Not really sure why your being such a dick. You ask a question on these forums every 20 minutes and some of them have been pretty obvious to me, but their not obvious to everyone. The OP obviously needs help knowing what are appropriate things to write in that space. Some are obvious, and some aren't. He just wants some ideas, and theres nothing wrong with that. Your applying this year, so quit acting like you know everything and don't post if you have nothing helpful to say.

Reactions: 8 users
This question is practically wide open to interpretation.

I'm gonna put down Badminton(the competitive kinda) not the backyard stuff. It requires incredible hand-eye coordination.

auto repair & home repairs. There are plenty of guides out there that show you how to fix up your car and make minor repairs to your home.

play the piano. I'm asian. I'm pretty sure most asians were forced to play some instrument.

As someone noted, if only I can put down guitar hero. some songs are down right insane.

There are plenty of things we do that require hand eye coordination, we just don't really think about it.

Do you cook? food prep(unless you buy all precut items) requires hand eye coordination or you'll be slicing off fingers.

how about putting frosting on cupcakes or even a cake? You'd be surprise how difficult it is to decorate a cake. My sister dragged me to a free class.
It looks easy on tv and but is really hard to do.

yeah: piano and used to play clarinet, saxophone and recorder

speaking of asians, apparently we can't spell. u clearly didn't spell hurucleas properly and apparently i spelt doctre wrong.

yeah: piano and used to play clarinet, saxophone and recorder

speaking of asians, apparently we can't spell. u clearly didn't spell hurucleas properly and apparently i spelt doctre wrong.

I intentionally spelled Hercules wrong.

I came up with herkulease when Diablo first came out for the PC. about 97/98.

hercules son of zeus had brains and brawn. Zeus is roman. I don't remember what he is called in greek mythology. Hercules = Heracles but it seemed girly to me.

My barbarian for Diablo was pure hack and slash. No spells. I spent hours playing to pick up enough weapons and armors to go through the game without resorting to spells. it was probably perhaps a 20 or more restarts.

Not really sure why your being such a dick. You ask a question on these forums every 20 minutes and some of them have been pretty obvious to me, but their not obvious to everyone. The OP obviously needs help knowing what are appropriate things to write in that space. Some are obvious, and some aren't. He just wants some ideas, and theres nothing wrong with that. Your applying this year, so quit acting like you know everything and don't post if you have nothing helpful to say.

:thumbup: people on these forums tend to be real jerks sometimes. Either put forward some sort of helpful insight, or don't respond at all.

Reactions: 1 user

I didn't intend to hurt anyone, in all honestly I thought this thread was a joke. I apologize if I was a jerk in this thread; perhaps it's the stress of applications opening?:p

I, myself, do ask a lot of questions (some of them mundane), and I do appreciate the help that others have provided me even in my most dumb moments.

However, the reason I don't understand this thread is because the poster's question was already answered explicitly in their own first post.

If you want some exact answers here:

Auto-body repair: 3 years fixing car molding, patching holes, and correcting misaligned auto frames.

Sewing: A lifetime's worth of constructing quilts using cross stitching and sewing machines.

Origami: Creation of intricate paper sculptures, often displayed in local museums and at art fairs.

Hope this helps.

would it be worth mentioning piano playing if i dont play anymore..but i used to and i can still play (not as well obvi) if an interviewer busted out a piano and asked

the only other things i have is i do cross stiching and needle point art, micropipette like its my job, and cook...i've sewed on a few buttons in my lifetime but i dont think its worth mentioning

does cooking sound weird to put on there?

would it be worth mentioning piano playing if i dont play anymore..but i used to and i can still play (not as well obvi) if an interviewer busted out a piano and asked

the only other things i have is i do cross stiching and needle point art, micropipette like its my job, and cook...i've sewed on a few buttons in my lifetime but i dont think its worth mentioning

does cooking sound weird to put on there?

Unless you can chop/dice really fast! :rolleyes:

I put down fly tying and then brought a few examples to one of my interviews and they loved it!

haha yea that's what i thought. what id really like to say is that i do stage makeup and stuff for community theatre and putting on liquid eyeliner, esp on other people, is a manual skill :oops:

"D3Nt1st I put down fly tying and then brought a few examples to one of my interviews and they loved it!"

Is anyone thinking of bringing some props or images to interviews? I was thinking of perhaps bringing a few images/postcards of my artwork...::if i get an interview::

"D3Nt1st I put down fly tying and then brought a few examples to one of my interviews and they loved it!"

Is anyone thinking of bringing some props or images to interviews? I was thinking of perhaps bringing a few images/postcards of my artwork...::if i get an interview::

I would recommend it, worked for me and helps set you apart (as long as your work is good that is)

or is that redundant?

What about typing?

or is that redundant?

What about typing?

I would think it's acceptable.

However, in thinking back to last years application, there was no such thing as a "Manual Dexterity" section on the AADSAS application. I certainly do recall a "Extracurricular Activities" section, though.

Would anyone like to clarify this?

Yes, there was a manual dexterity section, it was in the first part of the application, before it asked if you applied to any other health professional schools
I am saying, let's say I do drawing and I list that as a manual dexterity activity.... could I then also put drawing as an extracurricular?
Thanks

Yes, there was a manual dexterity section, it was in the first part of the application, before it asked if you applied to any other health professional schools
I am saying, let's say I do drawing and I list that as a manual dexterity activity.... could I then also put drawing as an extracurricular?
Thanks

That's good to know, Mary. Thanks! :thumbup:

That's good to know, Mary. Thanks! :thumbup:

Do you recall if there is a area where you have to "describe" the manual dexterity skills, too? (Similar to the 175 character limit for extracurriculars, etc.)

I was wondering that too. Regarding the manual dexterity section, do we have to describe what we do exactly or just list them.

Thanks

I have some thoughts.

In the example of drawing:

Manual Dexterity: Drawing with charcoal chalks

Extracurricular Activity: Showcasing drawing created by self at local art fairs

See the difference? So, in this way you could distinguish the two activities and use them both at the same time.

i always thought extracurricular activites were activities done in organized groups. so if you were part of an art club or something of the sort that would go in extracurricular activities but 'drawing' doesnt belong there.

i think thats why there is a separate section for it

i always thought extracurricular activites were activities done in organized groups. so if you were part of an art club or something of the sort that would go in extracurricular activities but 'drawing' doesnt belong there.

:thumbup:

You could include drawing, in the instance that I mentioned, if you participated in local art fairs/displays.:idea:

Manual dexterity = fine motor skills

They want to know if you're going to be good at restorative.

Good example: fly-tying

Bad example: badminton

Manual dexterity = fine motor skills

They want to know if you're going to be good at restorative.

Good example: fly-tying

Bad example: badminton

badminton maybe a bad example of fine motor skills. But it does fall under "hand eye coordination". Auto repair is hardly a fine motor skill. While the other examples they have do.

So it is odd why they would use auto repair.

badminton maybe a bad example of fine motor skills. But it does fall under "hand eye coordination". Auto repair is hardly a fine motor skill. While the other examples they have do.

So it is odd why they would use auto repair.

Auto repair can certainly denote fine motor skills!

A lot of dexterity training goes into forming/shaping sheet metal, fixing small mechanical components, etc.

Don't underestimate that skill.

can we put extracurricular activities of things before college or do they have to be recent activities?
Example: I did Tae Kwon Do for like 8 years, but haven't been to practice in 3 years since I moved for college? Does it still count?

Auto repair can certainly denote fine motor skills!

A lot of dexterity training goes into forming/shaping sheet metal, fixing small mechanical components, etc.

Don't underestimate that skill.

Absolutely, auto repair is a great motor skill to list. In fact, I think auto repair is more related to dentistry than playing instruments or sports would be - building things, taking things apart, molding/shaping, following procedures, working with tools.

In fact, how isn't it a motor skill?

I think this is my 5th time asking
or is that redundant?

What about typing?

or is that redundant?

What about typing?

All my ECs were activities that other people, not just myself, could account for if needed. Clubs/orgs/involvement.

My manual dexterity activities were hobby-type things, things I was interested in personally. If you do your manual dexterity activities in a EC-type setting, it's ok to list them for both sections, but make sure you mention the context.

i.e. playing music in school band, or involved in knitting club for your ECs.

I would not write "typing" for ECs OR dexterity, unless you're doing something with it in a larger context, or have won awards for your speed (do they even have these?). Otherwise, everyone types. That's why things like "video games" also probably shouldn't be listed, unless you've been awarded something using those skills.

or is that redundant?

What about typing?

Takedailyfiber is correct.

Mary, I provided an example of this in my earlier posts in your thread. Here it is again:

MrBeans said:
I have some thoughts.

In the example of drawing:

Manual Dexterity: Drawing with charcoal chalks

Extracurricular Activity: Showcasing drawing created by self at local art fairs

See the difference? So, in this way you could distinguish the two activities and use them both at the same time.

It would not be redundant to list drawing in both sections provided your situation follows the example I explained.

Typing is a stretch, but if you are proficient enough, I suppose you could include it. I would use typing ONLY if you have no other activities to list.

I answered the same thing as well in a different way earlier in the thread

I became proficient in typing as a medical biller though
I worked as a medical biller for a summer
For EC, I want to list things like: playing in a band, working out/running, traveling, etc
good?