Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Describe Yourself

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jlh19, Aug 15, 2015.

1. jlh19

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    This may sound silly but I have no idea how to even start an essay that asks to describe yourself. Am I the only one? I can't imagine I'm the only one that has issues writing about themselves in that manner. Any advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hoihaie

hoihaie Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    what is one thing or theme of your life you want people to know you by? center your essay around that and tell how that came to be.

i.e. You may want someone to know of your interest in sports and how that translate to your life. how you came to like sports, how has sports defined you, what you plan on doing to integrate sports with medicine...etc

4. Holmwood

Holmwood WOW
    2+ Year Member

You can start with astrology or personality test. XD

On a serious note, check this list. http://www.muskingum.edu/home/careerservices/PDFs/PersonalQualities.pdf
    For each one, think about whether you have any life experiences that support any of the qualities. . . then make a list.

From there, narrow it down to the ones that have any pertinence to the medical field or ones that are important to you.

5. CaliforniaDreamer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "Blank! The sound of my mind as I try to think about how to start my essay. I reminisce to all the times that my grandmothers had all died and then I realized I wanted to become a doctor."

#4 CaliforniaDreamer, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    SallySue1202 likes this.
  6. judb16

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had a similar essay question..

I definitely would focus on something not covered in your PS, primary app, or other parts of the secondary app. Pick something unique about you and use it to describe parts of you. Pick an experience, aspect of your life, something you value, etc. and work off that.

For mine I talked a little bit about how my family was important to me. This transitioned into how I came to learn about caring for other people, building relationships and that transitioned into why I wanted to be a doctor.

good luck