Designing a major called Cellular and Biomolecular Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi guys,

New to the forums but I've been lurking in the backround for a while! I had a question regarding a major called Cellular and Biomolecular engineering, which I am designing in the engineering school at my institution.

The curriculum will draw from BioE, ChemE, and Biochemistry and really focuses on processes at the cellular level. Coursework includes mass transport, metabolic engineering, genetic frameworks, tissue and protein engineering, some computation/modeling classes, and the like. This is then supplemented by the basic sciences (physics, chem, bio) with some depth bio and biochemistry classes.

Does this seems like a reasonable proposition?

I've been very tuned off to the BME major, and wanted to develop something that will focus my skills at the cell and molecular level. It's definitely not a classic engineering major, but I think it will prepare me for med school as well as a PhD in the bio sciences.

My long term goal is to practice medicine and conduct translational research. It would be my dream to either help push current pipeline therapeutics to the clinic, or to envision a novel method that may one day have therapeutic potential (CRISPR esque).

Based on these goals, does it seem like this would be a good major for me? I'm not worried about job outlook right out of undergrad... I'm certain I will be doing md, PhD, or both.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I'm not worried about job outlook right out of undergrad... I'm certain I will be doing md, PhD, or both.
I can't speak for PhD programs, but MD programs couldn't give a rat's a** what your undergrad major was. 4.0 Underwater Basketweaving major > 3.7 BME major.

I can't speak for PhD programs, but MD programs couldn't give a rat's a** what your undergrad major was. 4.0 Underwater Basketweaving major > 3.7 BME major.

Thanks for the reply! I don't really care about my major and if it increases my chances for med school (will probably hurt my GPA actually). I'm more wondering if this will give me the foundations to do what I want to do research wise. Or if this could be done with lime a bio or biochem degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I don't really care about my major and if it increases my chances for med school (will probably hurt my GPA actually). I'm more wondering if this will give me the foundations to do what I want to do research wise. Or if this could be done with lime a bio or biochem degree.
A regular biology/biochemistry degree would be fine. It's the traditional route that has worked for thousands of students before you. Most of the things you'll need to know to do good research will be learned through experience doing research, not through classes.

Disclaimer: I'm a BME major and will be graduating in April. BME was an awesome major as it gave be a decent background and gave me dedicated time (co-op) to work the equivalent of two years in full time research. I did well this app cycle.

It seems that what you are proposing is too specific. You will need other undergrads that are interested in this program, and that means trying to get high school seniors interested in it. I don't think it is broad enough to successfully appeal to the group of undergrads that would likely go to BME. Also, you will need faculty to teach all these new classes for your new major. That's a huge undertaking. No faculty, no major. Unless you are at a huge research institution that is teeming with academics that are just twiddling their thumbs around, I think it will be tough to do this.

The premise of engineering is to provide you the framework of knowledge and skills to solve new problems. The reason many engineering programs are broad, is because you can apply this acquired framework to many other areas. i.e. Taking the theory of efficiency in a reactor process and applying that to a newly discovered cellular process.

If you want to "focus you skills on the cellular and molecular level", focus your time in undergrad research. That will be where you learn the most in this area. Hell, that is what the PhD you are interested in is for. While I do think the proposed program sounds interesting, it sounds more like a grad program than an undergrad program.

Good luck. If you are in doubt, just go BME.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: I'm a BME major and will be graduating in April. BME was an awesome major as it gave be a decent background and gave me dedicated time (co-op) to work the equivalent of two years in full time research. I did well this app cycle.

It seems that what you are proposing is too specific. You will need other undergrads that are interested in this program, and that means trying to get high school seniors interested in it. I don't think it is broad enough to successfully appeal to the group of undergrads that would likely go to BME. Also, you will need faculty to teach all these new classes for your new major. That's a huge undertaking. No faculty, no major. Unless you are at a huge research institution that is teeming with academics that are just twiddling their thumbs around, I think it will be tough to do this.

The premise of engineering is to provide you the framework of knowledge and skills to solve new problems. The reason many engineering programs are broad, is because you can apply this acquired framework to many other areas. i.e. Taking the theory of efficiency in a reactor process and applying that to a newly discovered cellular process.

If you want to "focus you skills on the cellular and molecular level", focus your time in undergrad research. That will be where you learn the most in this area. Hell, that is what the PhD you are interested in is for. While I do think the proposed program sounds interesting, it sounds more like a grad program than an undergrad program.

Good luck. If you are in doubt, just go BME.

Sorry should have also mentioned that my school does have a dedicated program that allows students to design majors in engineering. All the classes would be preexisting classes that are taught to ChemE, BioE, Biochem majors

A regular biology/biochemistry degree would be fine. It's the traditional route that has worked for thousands of students before you. Most of the things you'll need to know to do good research will be learned through experience doing research, not through classes.

Agreed! I'm not so worried about learning "how to do research" in my classes. I have a lab position that has taught me a ton about the actual scientific process. I meant that I want to take classes that will inform my research based on the skillset and knowledge base I develop by taking them.

As a chemistry major with a concentration in biochem I had to take chemistry major requirements in addition to biochem and advanced biochem but when it comes to biology requirements I had the choice to take any upper level classes I wanted. Can't you just do what's required and add the other classes you want? I'm not sure how it works at ur school though.

I think you would want to do research in the area you want. My coursework is heavy in chemistry but it was enough to land a job at any genetics, micro and immunology research position. If you're interested in genetics, take a class in that and find a research position related to what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The problem is I would like to learn cellular/molecular level engineering in increased depth. The normal BME major covers everything from chemistry up to some EE and ME for devices. Too broad in my opinion, so I want to study a specific field within bioengineering with this major, which I can't really do by just adding on classes...

Never mind what I wrote before. If the classes u want do exist, what prevents you from just taking them?

I guess my fear of "missing out" on some fundamentals of Engineering that could end up being required in graduate work, if I want to do a bioengineering program.

Edit: that and probably a worse GPA lol

This isn't 100% true, they do consider course rigor and what not when considering your application.

Being BME might not make up for a huge GPA difference (like it won't excuse a 3.3 if their threshold is a 3.7) but as an extreme example if you both have the same GPA and the only difference in your application was somehow your major it absolutely will come into play

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't 100% true, they do consider course rigor and what not when considering your application.

Being BME might not make up for a huge GPA difference (like it won't excuse a 3.3 if their threshold is a 3.7) but as an extreme example if you both have the same GPA and the only difference in your application was somehow your major it absolutely will come into play
The data suggests that it is, in fact, true. This article talks about it. Essentially, no matter what you study, you should do well. A tough major won't make up for a bad GPA.

But this is a little off-topic and not addressing OP's question.

RunawayGrape is correct that schools wont excuse a poor GPA because you majored in engineering or similar fields.

But that being said, a student with an engineering degree will typically be chosen over a student with a degree in under water basket weaving (all other aspects of their application being similar).

Reasons to major in engineering:
  • 2 of my classmates have been chosen for research projects over other classmates simpley because they had engineering degrees
  • Engineering teaches you how to problem solve -- this won't come in handy the first 2 years, but once you hit clinicals you will excel
  • If for some reason you end up not going to med school or have to take a leave of absence from medical school, you will easily be able to find a well paying job