DesMoines COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all those who got accepted...I did not, best of luck to you all next year.

are you waitlisted or rejected?
I am currently waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, we interviewed our last group on Friday, April 20th - a great group of applicants, by the way. Except for a few stragglers, we should have the class full, once the deposits role in, but usually we get a few waitlisted, as well - "If at first you don't succeed"..., I recommend, reapplying, plus ask admissions, what you could do better - they will actually tell you!!!!! Good Luck All :love:

Actually, we interviewed our last group on Friday, April 20th - a great group of applicants, by the way. Except for a few stragglers, we should have the class full, once the deposits role in, but usually we get a few waitlisted, as well - "If at first you don't succeed"..., I recommend, reapplying, plus ask admissions, what you could do better - they will actually tell you!!!!! Good Luck All :love:

I am assuming you are part of the adcom. Do you know when the deposits will be coming in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there!! I just withdraw my application from Des Moines... someone can have my spot!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!

I withdrew my acceptance recently....someone please enjoy my spot. I kept it very warm :)

keep the withdrawals coming!

Whoever is hoping for more people to decline their acceptances at DMU can rest assured that there is at least one more. DMU is where I really wanted to attend, but it just was not going to work out. :(

Whoever is hoping for more people to decline their acceptances at DMU can rest assured that there is at least one more. DMU is where I really wanted to attend, but it just was not going to work out. :(

sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.
Thank you for withdrawing....that's one more chance for me!

why did you pick Western over DMU??? just curious

Trevalyan,

I am also curious to the answer to this question. I actually think I was one of your interviewers but since this is an anonymous forum I can't be sure. What happened? If I can be of help or you need any info feel free to PM me.

~Kritter

Krazykritter,

do you happen to know when the next meeting is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Next meeting? I know they certainly aren't meeting every week anymore, but w/in the next couple of weeks I imagine that they will get together to rank waitlisters.

Don't know much more than that b/c I haven't had a chance to drop by admissions w/ board studying taking up most of my time.

Well, I am legally blind due to Stargardt's disease. Western University had a completely blind individual graduate form their program. So I wanted to first see if DMU would be willing to offer the same sort of accommodations that were made available to this person at Western U. In the end, I did not feel completely comfortable choosing to attend DMU. I may not ultimately require certain accommodations, but I do not know this until I actually attempt certain things hands on.

Well, I am legally blind due to Stargardt's disease. Western University had a completely blind individual graduate form their program. So I wanted to first see if DMU would be willing to offer the same sort of accommodations that were made available to this person at Western U. In the end, I did not feel completely comfortable choosing to attend DMU. I may not ultimately require certain accommodations, but I do not know this until I actually attempt certain things hands on.

wow...i really admire you for going this far and will go even farther with your condition. i read one article about this one blind medical student who pursued in an md/phd program and did very well. i mean it's tough for us who could see to survive medical school and ...there are others like you. I really admire them.....:thumbup: good luck at western and the rest of your future! There's nothing could hold you back as long as you set your mind for it, right!

Thanks. :)

Good luck to you as well.

May 7th Bump!

When is the day when they tell everyone where they sit on the waitlist??

I would normally love to help y'all out, but I haven't had time to spot by admissions lately.

Definitely will see them on the 15th though so if no news by then...I will try to sweet talk it out of someone. /pours on the charm

very admirable to go through medical school and be legally blind at the same time. I give you a lot of credit for having made it this far and good luck with everything in the future:thumbup:

Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I was one of the people who was interviewed on April 20th and I just received my acceptance letter last Wednesday! I'm so excited and I can't wait to meet everyone this fall! :hardy:

I was one of the people who was interviewed on April 20th and I just received my acceptance letter last Wednesday! I'm so excited and I can't wait to meet everyone this fall! :hardy:

congrats;)

When is the day when they tell everyone where they sit on the waitlist??

I would normally love to help y'all out, but I haven't had time to spot by admissions lately.

Definitely will see them on the 15th though so if no news by then...I will try to sweet talk it out of someone. /pours on the charm

on the email they sent out, it said by . june 1st they'll inform everyone on where they sit on the waitlist

Thank you for all your help and trying to get us the information we want.

congratulations! I do envy you b/c I want that acceptance, nontheless I will have to wait and see what happens with the waitlist.

on the email they sent out, it said by . june 1st they'll inform everyone on where they sit on the waitlist

Thank you for all your help and trying to get us the information we want.

GujuMD, good luck on the waitlist.

Just curious, if you pull off DMU waitlist first then another MD waitlist at a later time, would you ditch us ? :)

GujuMD, good luck on the waitlist.

Just curious, if you pull off DMU waitlist first then another MD waitlist at a later time, would you ditch us ? :)

I am not sure. On my list, I have DMU higher b/c the program is nice and i can care less what goes after my name DO or MD. My main goal is to become a physician. I do like the DO philosophy and the OMM, it gives DO more tools to help the patients. which is the thing that attracted me to DO in the first place.

I am not sure. On my list, I have DMU higher b/c the program is nice and i can care less what goes after my name DO or MD. My main goal is to become a physician. I do like the DO philosophy and the OMM, it gives DO more tools to help the patients. which is the thing that attracted me to DO in the first place.

:thumbup:
good luck to you! no matter which school you end up going, I hope you will become a great doctor with a compassionate heart!:)

:thumbup:
good luck to you! no matter which school you end up going, I hope you will become a great doctor with a compassionate heart!:)

i just need one acceptance and i'll prove it to myself and the world that the acceptance was given to a someone who will be a great, compassionate doctor.....just one chance is all i need.

i just need one acceptance and i'll prove it to myself and the world that the acceptance was given to a someone who will be a great, compassionate doctor.....just one chance is all i need.

it took me several rounds to gain the acceptance to fulfill my dream...just don't give up !

Good luck!

You'll get it, just follow your heart. I wish you all of the best. Whatever school you end up at (DO or MD) will be lucky to have you. :thumbup:

I wanted to let this forum know that I am planning (99%) to drop my acceptance to Des Moines (DMU). I hope that this will make someone happy. Good luck to all those on the waitlist. DMU is a great school

I wanted to let this forum know that I am planning (99%) to drop my acceptance to Des Moines (DMU). I hope that this will make someone happy. Good luck to all those on the waitlist. DMU is a great school

Thank you...it makes me happy!

I was going to predict earlier that there was going to be a lot of movement in May, but I dropped the ball. We had a very competitive year & I am guessing that a lot of people (seems like more than usual, to me) are getting acceptances into allopathic schools now that it is May 15 & decide that MD would be the easier route.

This probably happens every year, but I have noticed it a lot more than usual this year w/ the very good numbers that the class of '11 is going to have.

I was going to predict earlier that there was going to be a lot of movement in May, but I dropped the ball. We had a very competitive year & I am guessing that a lot of people (seems like more than usual, to me) are getting acceptances into allopathic schools now that it is May 15 & decide that MD would be the easier route.

This probably happens every year, but I have noticed it a lot more than usual this year w/ the very good numbers that the class of '11 is going to have.

does that mean there will be a lot of movement from now until school starts?

It's quite possible. I have quite a few friends who applied to both DO & MD schools and are now currently in that situation.

so is it still up in the air as to when we will hear alternate list positions (between now and june 1)?? can anyone comment on when people found out last year?

another 2 stressed out weeks..

i tried searching previous DMU threads and did not get any answer to your Q. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

May 21 Bump! It seems like this week will go slow.

OMG, I just got in!!!! The e-mail was sent out yesterday around 5, but I didn't check my e-mail until this morning. I was about to start working on a new personal statement for next year's application cycle, but I guess that's not necessary anymore!

So, everyone on the alternate list, there is hope! Don't give up! :luck: :luck:

OMG, I just got in!!!! The e-mail was sent out yesterday around 5, but I didn't check my e-mail until this morning. I was about to start working on a new personal statement for next year's application cycle, but I guess that's not necessary anymore!

I didn't get an email yet...i am assuming i didn't get accepted...the wait continues....:(

OMG, I just got in!!!! The e-mail was sent out yesterday around 5, but I didn't check my e-mail until this morning.

Congratulations! It's a pretty amazing feeling, isn't it?
I'm really glad to see the waitlists start to move.

I also got in off the waitlist. I will have to talk things over with my girlfriend, but I will mostly likely still end up at KCUMB. So my spot will probably become available.

I haven't even gotten the e-mail that says where I'm ranked on the waitlist at DMU. I must really suck.

I haven't even gotten the e-mail that says where I'm ranked on the waitlist at DMU. I must really suck.

FYI, I don't believe DMU emails your rank.

FYI, I don't believe DMU emails your rank.

The sent me an e-mail on April 23 that suggests otherwise:
"We will notify you of your approximate placement via your email (fill in my e-mail address) address no later than June 1, 2007."

Hey everyone. I was on the waitlist and got my acceptance email yesterday. I hope more of you got the same email. Good luck everyone.

The sent me an e-mail on April 23 that suggests otherwise:
"We will notify you of your approximate placement via your email (fill in my e-mail address) address no later than June 1, 2007."

Interesting, I never got an email like that. In April I got an email asking me if I still wanted to be considered on the alternate list. Then yesterday I got the email notifying me that I was taken off the alternate list and accepted. I'm not sure what that means.

Interesting, I never got an email like that. In April I got an email asking me if I still wanted to be considered on the alternate list. Then yesterday I got the email notifying me that I was taken off the alternate list and accepted. I'm not sure what that means.

I think that we are talking about the same April e-mail. Mine wanted to make sure that I still wanted to be on the waitlist and then said that I should hear about my status by June 1.
Did you send them a letter of interest?

I think that we are talking about the same April e-mail. Mine wanted to make sure that I still wanted to be on the waitlist and then said that I should hear about my status by June 1.
Did you send them a letter of interest?

Ok, now I got you. I thought you meant they sent an email just stating they would rank you and send your status by June. I did not send a letter of interest to DMU.