Desperate for any way into the psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hootan

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm a foreign medical graduate who has been trying to get into the field of psychiatry for four years straight now. I passed all the exams and applied first time but didn't match, since I was a foreign medical graduate I took it in grace and accepted that I have to do at least a year of residency before even being considered,I did a year in internal medicine but couldn't again match this year.Right now I'm desperate for any research positions or any jobs basically! with Covid19 All programs are saying the offices are closed or that they don't need any volunteers on psychiatry departments...
I'm in a really tough spot here and I would truly appreciate any leads...
My email is [email protected]
Thank you everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Minnesota and Puerto Rico look like they can do a license for IMG with only 1 year residency training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say finish Internal medicine then enter psych as a pgy2.

Reactions: 3 users
I say finish Internal medicine then enter psych as a pgy2.
It looks to me based on prior posts that OP actually resigned after intern year so this won't be an option. In fact, that will make any residency position quite difficult to obtain.

Reactions: 2 users
It looks to me based on prior posts that OP actually resigned after intern year so this won't be an option. In fact, that will make any residency position quite difficult to obtain.
Yes. I see he resigned too. This will make things even more difficult to get a psychiatry position. Is this a nail in the coffin? Maybe. Will it be impossible to get a spot? No. Nothing is impossible. Just OP will have to work extremely hard.

Yes. I see he resigned too. This will make things even more difficult to get a psychiatry position. Is this a nail in the coffin? Maybe. Will it be impossible to get a spot? No. Nothing is impossible. Just OP will have to work extremely hard.
People can turn around, things are possible. I had to leave my ob residency a little earlier than I wanted to within the first year for various reasons. It felt like it was a nail in the coffin but that was in the day when psychiatry was in a different lens (sorry, I have no other way of phrasing it). But yes, things are possible and if it was not for this weird twisted series of events, I wouldn't be where things are at today which is way better than ever imagined for the family. Life is weird that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with looking at finishing family medicine or internal medicine. You cannot afford to be picky at this point. Apply very, very broadly, take whatever you can get either in FM, IM or Psych. You have to commit to establish a record of success somewhere. Don't foolishly limit yourself to "only east coast", etc. Avoid telling IM or FM you are interested in Psych, and vice versa.

Reactions: 1 user
After four years, it might be worth looking into family, internal medicine. The longer you are out of medical school the harder it is to get a residency. End game you have to complete a residency in SOMETHING.
Or even pathology...

Minnesota and Puerto Rico look like they can do a license for IMG with only 1 year residency training.
Puerto Rico (PR), definitely. The language when it comes to licensure requirements for IMG in Minnesota is kind of iffy...

Get a license in PR and work for Indian Health Service since you need a license from any state to work for the federal government.

Here are the requirements for IMG in Minnesota:

International Graduate Requirements
1. Graduate of a medical school listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED).
2. Successfully complete two years of US/Canadian graduate, clinical medical training in an accredited
program unless 1) admitted as a permanent immigrant to the United States as a person of exceptional ability in sciences pursuant to rules of the U.S. Department of Labor or 2) issued a permanent immigrant visa as a person of extraordinary ability or as an outstanding professor or researcher and has a valid medical license in another country; or 3) licensed in another state and practiced 5 years without disciplinary action in the US/Canada, completed one year US/Canadian accredited training and passed SPEX within three attempts in 24 months prior to licensing. See Minn. Stat. §147.037 Subd. 1(d) for details.
3. ECFMG certificate.
4. Successfully complete the USMLE, FLEX, LMCC or state exam. Applicants licensed in another state
must pass the SPEX exam within three attempts if it has been more than 10 years since taking the initial licensing exam unless currently certified by a specialty board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, of the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Professional Education, of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or of the College of Family Physicians of Canada.

I don't think OP is qualified to get a license in MN. Might be wrong here.

Last edited:
unfortunately I'm not either,I resigned after my intern year,it was more of a forced resignation.they knew I was interested in psychiatry And things went downhill from there... :(
now my basic plan is to look for research position and establish a career in psychiatry and then apply again...

unfortunately I'm not either,I resigned after my intern year,it was more of a forced resignation.they knew I was interested in psychiatry And things went downhill from there... :(
now my basic plan is to look for research position and establish a career in psychiatry and then apply again...
I am confused here...

Did you not finish intern year? If you resigned AFTER intern year, it implies that you finished intern year.

yes I finished my intern year and then didn't sign a second year contract

Members don't see this ad :)
Therefore you are qualified to get a license in Puerto Rico (PR) because you will get credit for your PGY1 year. As I stated above, you can work for Indian Health Service (a branch of the feds). My friend did that and is working for Indian Health Service and makes a little over 200k/year with some outstanding benefits.

Use that company below to help you get a license in PR.

The link provided is not an endorsement of the company.

It’s possible that was a bad decision. Apply broadly to include fm, look for mid year dropouts. And look into those places that might give you a license now so you can at least make money in the meantime

That's good that you finished intern year. Now my next question is: did you get CREDIT for all of intern year? If so, that makes you more attractive to programs at least. If you can get a license, great. But agree with others that you NEED clinical experience. Research is going to do nothing for you if you've been out of med school for 4 years. They want to know you can still talk to patients, you can still spot common medical ailments, you can read labs. No one is going to care about research experience at this point.

It’s possible that was a bad decision. Apply broadly to include fm, look for mid year dropouts. And look into those places that might give you a license now so you can at least make money in the meantime
Thanks for the response, it definitely would have been a foolish decision If it was really a decision but unfortunately it was more of the forced resignation type of situation, like I mentioned there was bad blood and I was forced to resign a week before the start of my second year. As far as choosing family medicine I understand that it would be the safest choice but I made the safest choice when I chose internal medicine a year ago and it made my life miserable. I really have to be go with my gut on this one...It's the passion I've chosen,So now my number one priority is going to be building a resume and that direction

Thanks for the response, it definitely would have been a foolish decision If it was really a decision but unfortunately it was more of the forced resignation type of situation, like I mentioned there was bad blood and I was forced to resign a week before the start of my second year. As far as choosing family medicine I understand that it would be the safest choice but I made the safest choice when I chose internal medicine a year ago and it made my life miserable. I really have to be go with my gut on this one...It's the passion I've chosen,So now my number one priority is going to be building a resume and that direction

why did they force you to resign? What were you doing that they thought was so bad?

That's good that you finished intern year. Now my next question is: did you get CREDIT for all of intern year? If so, that makes you more attractive to programs at least. If you can get a license, great. But agree with others that you NEED clinical experience. Research is going to do nothing for you if you've been out of med school for 4 years. They want to know you can still talk to patients, you can still spot common medical ailments, you can read labs. No one is going to care about research experience at this point.
I did get credit for the year and to be fair I have sufficient clinical experience since most community hospitals are run by second-year medicine residents except for more specialized cases like peds OB/GYN or surgery so that shouldn't be much of a problem

there are a lot of very passionate baristas in this world. Some level of realistic self-assessment is what I'm going to advise but it's America, you do what you want with that. Good luck.

I did get credit for the year and to be fair I have sufficient clinical experience since most community hospitals are run by second-year medicine residents except for more specialized cases like peds OB/GYN or surgery so that shouldn't be much of a problem

I don't know what this means. You've been out of med school for 4 years. When did you work as an intern? If it was 3-4 years ago, you have a problem. If it was this past year, maybe in a better spot.

Hi everyone
I'm a foreign medical graduate who has been trying to get into the field of psychiatry for four years straight now. I passed all the exams and applied first time but didn't match, since I was a foreign medical graduate I took it in grace and accepted that I have to do at least a year of residency before even being considered,I did a year in internal medicine but couldn't again match this year.Right now I'm desperate for any research positions or any jobs basically! with Covid19 All programs are saying the offices are closed or that they don't need any volunteers on psychiatry departments...
Thank you everyone

If you completed pgy1 you can apply to pgy2 psychiatry. pgy2 is maybe easier than getting pgy1. I transferred to another psychiatry program as pgy2. pay for the residency swap website. you can find out about pgy2 spots before they open up. also, check out the APA clearinghouse.

if you can't get psychiatry, other close options are doing neurology and then do a fellowship in neuropsychiatry. also PMR and do a fellowship in Brain Injury Medicine (I am board certified in BIM and Forensic Psychiatry). Another option is to get pgy2 in family or IM and do a fellowship in Addiction Medicine. There is one outpatient psychiatry fellowship for Family Medicine as well. Although psychiatry residency may be ideal, there are lots of other routes to get where you want.

anyhow PM me for more information.

Hi everyone
Thank you everyone
Consider Puerto RIco. Look for AMSCA(MH clinics in PR). You might have a chance to do residency in PR too. Good Luck