Desperate need for advice: POST BACC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagle14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my MCAT score today being a 19.
I will graduate soon. My current GPA is an overall 3.46, science GPA 3.26.
I have done research.

My question is whether or not I should apply to a post bacc program in order to improve my MCAT score.

Should do the post bacc program, and if I do would i be deemed competitive with the scores or should I study for the GRE and take that before applying to the post bacc programs?

Someone please please help me out here. I am at a loss.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just received my MCAT score today being a 19.
I will graduate December 2013 with a double major in Psychology and Biomedical Science. My current GPA is an overall 3.46, science GPA 3.26.
I have done research in both majors and have a large amount of ECs, and shadowing, including work experience.

My question is whether or not I should apply to a post bacc program in order to improve my MCAT score. I spoke with PCOM admissions who told me with a 19 to go ahead and apply to their DO program, however, I feel like this would be a dumb move to make.

Should do the post bacc program, and if I do would i be deemed competitive with the scores or should I study for the GRE and take that before applying to the post bacc programs?

I would be applying for Fall 2014.

Someone please please help me out here. I am at a loss.

Thank you!

You will not get into a medical school (DO or MD) with a 19 unless you have OUTRAGEOUS research experience and even then we're talking about a huge stretch.

What were you scoring on your practice full lengths?

I know that this MCAT score is not competitive enough to apply directly to a DO/MD school, that is why I am considering post bacc, but my concern is that I am not competitive enough for a post bacc program either.

I was scoring around a 25 on practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that this MCAT score is not competitive enough to apply directly to a DO/MD school, that is why I am considering post bacc, but my concern is that I am not competitive enough for a post bacc program either.

Eh, post-bacc won't necessarily help you get a higher MCAT score. Your best bet would probably be a MCAT retake to get into a good SMP.

I have never been able to actually study well for the MCAT thought and that is why I think given a post bacc I will be able to dedicate more time to it. My load has been way too intensive for me to prep for it.

would I be competitive for a post bacc program or not? should i take the GRE in order to be competitive for a post bacc program?

A 25 doesn't get you anywhere either

You would still have at least 2 full months of preparation time if you drop all activities and start preparing for another MCAT right now. Assuming you could get your application done in a reasonable time, with a 28+, you could matriculate next year.

I would apply simultaneously to a few post-baccs also to make sure you have a place to go. Possibly PCOM biomed masters? It seems you're interested in their program.

You should apply to LECOM's or LMU's post-bac programs. You're almost guaranteed entry to their DO schools if you have at least 3.0GPA/23 MCAT for LECOM or 3.0GPA/22 MCAT for LMU. They're both only one year programs and LECOM's is a cheaper option than most others.

LMU is for students who do not have an undergraduate science major I think... I am more in favor of PCOM just because you can stay in the program another year and get a masters at worst without being accepted into med school

LMU is for students who do not have an undergraduate science major I think... I am more in favor of PCOM just because you can stay in the program another year and get a masters at worst without being accepted into med school

LMU PMSP is for everyone and is more a guarantee if you do well in their program (just 3.0GPA/22 MCAT) than if you did well in PCOM's program (3.5ish GPA). If you're willing to work hard for one year, why not just make it count and go for the more surer option of getting into med school?

LMUs program is also changing to a masters program this year. You are required to have all the pre reqs for med school and a MCAT of 20 to be accepted as well as a minimum gpa. I can't remember what the gpa requient is but it's not terribly high. I think a 3.0 or so.

That's why I'm concerned about the 19 MCAT.... Apply or not apply to the post bacc programs?

That's why I'm concerned about the 19 MCAT.... Apply or not apply to the post bacc programs?

One way or the other your gonna have to retake. While you MAY get into some post baccs with that score you would have to retake before applying and most likely while in the program. If I were you I would start studying for a retake right now or as soon as possible and then see where you stand. Your GPA isn't bad for DO schools and if you score high and apply as soon as scores are in you could still stand a chance. At the very least you will have a nice MCAT for post baccs and then you can apply broadly. I wouldn't want to have a post bacc load and study for the MCAT at the same time. Most post bacc MCAT prep is just a commercial program offered at a discounted rate so if you have the means go ahead and start one of those. You have time to explore your options. But by no means take the MCAT again until your scoring considerably higher on practice test. So basically to wrap that up and give you a straight answer, no, I wouldn't apply to a post bacc until I had a higher score under my belt.

Post-bacc/SMP, unless you are taking the pre-req classes, won't necessarily help you increase your MCAT scores. It might, at best, teach you how to study but you'll still have to sit down and grind out the 3 months of 8+ hrs of studying that everyone else does.

As others have mentioned, the MCAT prep being part of the program means you probably take an accelerated MCAT course at a prep program at a discounted rate. Prep programs are abysmal and the best methods are already on the MCAT forum here.

I don't see the reason to study for the GRE in your case. You're better off using that time wisely to study for the MCAT unless you are looking to really take the long route of applying for post-bacc/SMP next cycle. Which would put you in the position to enter medical school in 3+ years, instead of 2 but with a higher chance of matriculation.

I spoke with some masters admissions who told me normally just by being in the program, MCAT scores tend to increase tremendously, and some do have an MCAT prep as part of the program.
Of course they would say that, they want your $$$
Post-bacc/SMP, unless you are taking the pre-req classes, won't necessarily help you increase your MCAT scores. It might, at best, teach you how to study but you'll still have to sit down and grind out the 3 months of 8+ hrs of studying that everyone else does.
+1

Yes I am looking to take the long route... So in order to improve competitiveness for post bacc.. To take or not take the GRE?

Yes I am looking to take the long route... So in order to improve competitiveness for post bacc.. To take or not take the GRE?

That is completely up to you. Certain programs look at GRE and others want to see MCAT scores. Why not kill two birds with one stone and get the MCAT out of the way? Unless you can kill the GRE without studying. Possibly take the GRE diagnostic and see where you are?

Another reason I am promoting the MCAT is that you don't have to worry about it once you matriculate into the post-bacc. Get a competitive score and block it out so that you have time for other things.