Desperately in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareBear1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied to med schools this year out of desperation and realize that perhaps I shouldn't have. My cGPA is 2.9; however, for the past decade, my family has undergone huge difficulties that negatively impacted my college career. I mentioned this in my personal statement, thinking that maybe some of my poor grades would be looked over. I got a 25Q on the MCAT (9V 7P 9B).

Looking back now, I see that I was just panicking and wanting so bad to get out of this situation, so I applied and hoped that my 'story' would shed some light on my poor stats.

After only getting rejections so far, I am trying to figure out what to do. I want to raise my GPA, my question is: can I do this by taking classes at a Community college? I can't afford a post-bad program or SMP. I will be studying to take the MCAT again and hopefully perform better this next time.

Please give me advise and your opinions as to what I should do. I am also debating enrolling in an EMT class. I have pretty good EC (shadow a surgeon, tutor inner city kids, volunteer at hospital).

Members don't see this ad.

Schools vary on how they view CC credit. Can you afford to take classes at a 4yr state school? Have you researched DO schools? They have grade replacement, so you can easily brng your gpa up in probably 1yr or so. You didn't mention if your gpa is cum or your bcpm gpa. Study for the MCAT again and retake it closer to when you can apply. I would shoot to start applying in May 2011. You will need to write a new personal statement. Good luck!

I'll be pretty blunt, try not to take it the wrong way.

Taking a few classes at a CC will do next to nothing to improve your chances. If you are shooting for US MD schools, you stats are WAY off.
You would need a 1-2 years of full-time upper level courses at a 4 year school + a SMP + a much better MCAT score.

If interested in DO schools, retake your previous classes in which you did poorly. Much quicker way to raise your gpa.

People do get in with stats that are below average, but it's just not that common.

Ad coms don't really care about why your grades were poor, they just want to make sure you can perform in a competitive med school environment.

If you are not willing and/or able to do what it takes to become a competitive applicant, I would like into other options.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with not taking community college classes - those will only hurt you, even if you do really well in them. Do a master's program or take classes at a university. That's what student loans are for. You're going to have plenty of them by the time you finish med school that a few extra now will be a drop in the bucket.

Is your family situation that was distracting you from school before resolved? You really want to make sure you set yourself up for success, so make sure you can totally dedicate yourself to your studies if you decide to strengthen your application. You can totally do it!

Hi all,

I applied to med schools this year out of desperation and realize that perhaps I shouldn't have. My cGPA is 2.9; however, for the past decade, my family has undergone huge difficulties that negatively impacted my college career. I mentioned this in my personal statement, thinking that maybe some of my poor grades would be looked over. I got a 25Q on the MCAT (9V 7P 9B).

Looking back now, I see that I was just panicking and wanting so bad to get out of this situation, so I applied and hoped that my 'story' would shed some light on my poor stats.

After only getting rejections so far, I am trying to figure out what to do. I want to raise my GPA, my question is: can I do this by taking classes at a Community college? I can't afford a post-bad program or SMP. I will be studying to take the MCAT again and hopefully perform better this next time.

Please give me advise and your opinions as to what I should do. I am also debating enrolling in an EMT class. I have pretty good EC (shadow a surgeon, tutor inner city kids, volunteer at hospital).

I'm going to be blunt.
I do blunt well.

I am currently a 4th year med student at a US MD school who came to med school with a GPA that was <3.0. Just from your post there are a few things that I notice.

First- while I do not know much about your family situation and I am sure that it was very difficult to deal with, it came off as very whiny in print. So I would first and foremost have a few people re-read your personal statement to make sure that this sentiment did not come across. Excuses are NEVER ok in a personal statement. You cannot explain away poor performance because when compared to someone with immaculate grades you still look tarnished. At best, all you can do is take responsibility. This shows maturity and that you are moving past what caused you to do so poorly. Without doing that, the ADcom will always wonder, well if something bad happens again to this guy, will he fail out of med school?

Second- with regard to both your grades and MCAT, your MCAT needs to improve significantly. A 2.9 and 25 looks like you didn't have the mental capacity to succeed in college and would do poorly in med school. However a 2.9/30 look like you were a slacker but if so motivated you could do well in med school. The latter is a better place to start from because with a few years of strong course work it can show you are motivated. So one thing you need to improve is your MCAT score... but i'm sure you knew that

Your grades suck. You need to improve them but taking undergrad courses. That said, based on the number of courses you have taken you won't be able to make a huge dent in them so you may have to do a graduate program after you take undergrad grades.

Third- community college is not the way to go. Most schools do not view CC credits on the same footing (esp after you did poorly in college) as a 4yr college. Many will not even accept CC credits for the pre-recs. That you already did poorly in a 4yr college makes these credits even less useful for you. If you do choose to take some CC credits, you also need to take some university credits after to show you've got what it takes at the university level and that the CC grades were not just because they were easier.

Fourth- Undergrad GPA and graduate GPA are separate on AMCAS. So while I would recommend that you improve your undergrad GPA to over a 3.0, you will likely need to take an SMP or get a masters degree to get into medical school. Know though, that these degrees are basically a last ditch effort. If you do poorly in them, you can kiss your chances of ever going to med school goodbye.

Fifth- your chances of an acceptance to an MD school next year are close to 0 and still very low for DO schools. If money is an issue, don't apply next year and instead wait a year and start taking undergrad courses to improve that GPA.

Six-
if you want MD: Take at least a year of undergrad courses and get a 4.0 (over a 3.5 is a must). The next year enroll in either an SMP or a masters program and get at minimum a 3.7. An SMP is preferred. You will likely need to take more than 2 years to get in. You will also need to reatake the MCAT

If you want DO- retake all the courses you did poorly in and retake the MCAT. Apply in 1 year if your GPA is much better.

Seven- you need to prove you know what you are getting into. You need more clinical experience. Whether you go the EMT route or just shadowing, you need more. EMT looks really good but you may not have time with the courses you need to take.

Last- you cannot do this half assed. You are going to put yourself at financial risk and spend years of your life for the chance at getting into med school. If you do not get your ass in gear, you will waste your time and tens of thousands of dollars trying.

Thanks all for advice. I agree with you Insatewaiter regarding being whiny; however, I did pass my personal statement along to very many people as I was afraid that it would exhibit a whiny nature. Writing personal statements are hard in and of itself; however, try to explain that you were living in a weekly for half your undergraduate career in one of the most dangerous areas of the city. I do not/did not want to make excuses for my grades, but I doubt many people in my situation would have pulled a 3.6+.

You are right, I cannot do it half assed and am taking everyone's advice regarding raising GPA and an SMP. I guess med school adcoms just don't care about adversity so I think I'll fore go any explanation of hardships I have had in my future applications.

Rogue Synapse---yes it was the family situation that caused many of my grades to suffer. I was kicked out of school for non payment of tuition and had to take time off to re-apply to another school. Many other crazy things happened and I think the stress of the situation was overwhelming to the extent that it hindered my ability to do well.
Thanks guys!

It not that adcoms do not care about adversity; it is that the applicant pool is so strong.

The pool is full of perfect students with GPAs in the high 3s and MCAT scores in the 30s and intriguing ECs. Compared to them, a student with a very tarnished record just cannot compete. Many of these people overcame incredible adversity yet still maintained a strong record.

Playing devil's advocate, in terms of living in a weekly and not paying tuition... why the hell didn't you take out loans? That is pretty much standard procedure for many if not most college students. Quite frankly, if I were an Adcom I would look at that, especially being kicked out for not paying tuition as very irresponsible.

As long as you spin everything right, this could all work in your favor. However, if worded incorrectly at best it will sound whinny at worst, you will come off as terribly irresponsible.

I was kicked out of school for non payment of tuition and had to take time off to re-apply to another school.

There are a LOT of systems issues that you need to be able to deal with when in medical school. Why were you kicked out for not paying tuition? I've never heard of this- I've heard of people getting last minute loans or ending up in serious credit card debt, but actually being kicked out for nonpayment?

You really need to make sure you sound like you are taking some responsibility for your grades / situation in your personal statement, or during interviews. Sure, there are life factors that cause people to perform poorly, but you need to make sure you're giving the impression that you can overcome difficulties in the future.

I agree with Eforest and INstatewaiter.
The first thing you need to do is to prove you can perform at a high level doing university-level work. Not a community college. Also, being an EMT takes a lot of time, and won't necessarily get you into med school, although it could be a rewarding career on its own. You are putting the horse before the cart. First you have to prove you can hack it academically, and you haven't done that.

He says he can't afford an SMP.