Re-applicant desperate for advice for new application!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GD2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am seeking feedback on my application from 2019-2020 in order to improve my chances next time. Are any members with experience on this willing to assist?

My stats are the following:
cumulative GPA: 3.69
science GPA: 3.7
MCAT: I took the old version twice. In 2014 I got 23: 7, 7, 9. In 2015 I got 25: 7, 7, 11. I took the new one in 2019: 503: CP:125, CARS:126, BS:123, PS:129.

Experience:
I have 2 years of clinical experience work in a hospital setting and a private clinic setting. I also have a substantial amount of non-clinical volunteer and leadership experience as I was in greek life during my undergraduate studies. I do not know the exact hours off the top of my head but it is 2000+. I was only interviewed at 2 schools during this cycle, but one interviewer did mention they were impressed by my extracurriculars and asked me to discuss them. I believe that aspect of my application is strong, but perhaps the presentation can be improved?

I do not have research experience. I worked in a laboratory for a year, but I did not do clinical or bench research. I wanted to but because I changed degrees midway though undergrad it was difficult getting the chance to. I reached out to many researchers but they either wanted people with more experience or people they could invest a year in and know would be in their lab the other 3 of their undergrad years. It sucked for me, but I get it.

Lastly, I submitted my application late, unfortunately. My MCAT was not available until Oct 1. 90% of my secondaries were submitted Oct 15-Nov 1.

Lastly, I'm URM. I am also a first-generation university student from a low socioeconomic background. I do not put a lot of stock on that, but I've seen people mention it on here so I guess I will, too.

I'm desperate for advice. I would really appreciate some realistic and sound insight from someone with experience in this. I know a lot of people post these on here and I'm putting my trust in this community. Thank you to any and all reading this.

Stay safe! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you add your state of residence and the list of schools that you previously applied to. As you know, you applied late in the cycle last year which wouldn't bode well.

One thing you should also add to the post is what you have done during this past year to enhance your application (volunteer work, paid employment, research, shadowing, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate it. I am a Florida resident. I am Hispanic, and I do speak and write Spanish fluently. During the year I kept volunteering with the graduate chapter of my fraternity in my area as well as shadowing physicians. However, because of the Covid-19 pandemic everything has unfortunately come to a halt. I was furloughed by my employer along with my coworkers.

This is my list of schools. I based my list on a virtual school fair organized by AAMC earlier that year. If there is anything more I can provide I will do so happily. Thank you very much!

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 3.33.50 PM.png

I would remove UW from the list. Their stats may seem like they are OOS friendly but that is due to their satellite programs in western states w/o medical schools.

Remove U Washington since they accept less than 1% of non residents who are not from states in the Northwest. Also remove Ohio State, Alabama, Kentucky, South Carolina since they accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Boston University, Brown and Tulane are far reaches with your MCAT of 503. You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Temple
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Where were your interviews this past cycle ?

Remove U Washington since they accept less than 1% of non residents who are not from states in the Northwest. Also remove Ohio State, Alabama, Kentucky, South Carolina since they accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Boston University, Brown and Tulane are far reaches with your MCAT of 503. You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Temple
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Where were your interviews this past cycle ?

I interviewed at UAB and Indiana.

I would add northeast ohio. Also I don’t know if you are open to the idea of a DO but I would say you’re probably a good candidate for DO schools.

I would add northeast ohio. Also I don’t know if you are open to the idea of a DO but I would say you’re probably a good candidate for DO schools.
Not shooting down your idea, but I'm actually from OH and still didn't apply to any OH schools because A) the ones where my stats are comparable accept nearly -0- OOS applicants and B) the ones that do accept OOS are high-stats.

From NEOMED site: "NEOMED is a publicly chartered and funded institution in the state of Ohio. The charter mandates giving admission preference to residents of the state of Ohio."

Ohio State has a median MCAT of 514. I have same MCAT as OP and didn't apply to any school with a median above 509 unless it was a FL school. Just my .02.

Were you successful? I️ was Personally surprised I️ received no II from any of my state schools. I was grateful for the OOS II though? What is your insight on my options? School list or otherwise ?

Not shooting down your idea, but I'm actually from OH and still didn't apply to any OH schools because A) the ones where my stats are comparable accept nearly -0- OOS applicants and B) the ones that do accept OOS are high-stats.

From NEOMED site: "NEOMED is a publicly chartered and funded institution in the state of Ohio. The charter mandates giving admission preference to residents of the state of Ohio."

Ohio State has a median MCAT of 514. I have same MCAT as OP and didn't apply to any school with a median above 509 unless it was a FL school. Just my .02.

Were you successful? I️ was Personally surprised I️ received no II from any of my state schools. I was grateful for the OOS II though? What is your insight on my options? School list or otherwise ?
I am in the current application cycle so I can't comment on success yet, I was just giving some feedback on the OH schools. I wanted to apply to OH schools as I have family and friends there, however, after researching MSAR / School statistics published on their websites, it became apparent that it would likely be, as they say, a "donation."

I had a a comparable MCAT to OP and was accepted out of state. I am also Hispanic and had no ties to the state. NEOMED is actively trying implwnting programs to increase the population of underrepresented minorities. So I would say OP has a shot if they were open to the idea.

Reactions: 1 user
"We have launched a new postbaccalaureate pathway. A new master’s degree pathway will increase NEOMED College of Medicine seats for underrepresented minority (URM) and URIM students who successfully complete this one-year program."

I'm assuming it only went out to students in those categories