Desperately Need A Higher GRE Score-Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
as someone who tutors others effectively in the GRE is to grab textbooks and worked out examples from good websites which cover the material in more detail and that you focus most on your weakest areas. Then after you overlearned and mastered those sections review your strongest areas in the same manner. Then putting the GRE preparation books alongside the textbooks for context and in order to translate the new learning and review into the GRE venue and facilitate LTP's.

In regards to anxiety you may try all or any combination of the following:

1.) Meditate prior to and after studying

2.) Go for a brisk walk or jog everyday depending upon your fitness level

3.) Remind yourself you can do it and that although the GRE is important is not a reflection of who you are and ultiamtely you will succeed; sooner as opposed to later.

4.) Related to number 3 say out loud everyday personal affirmations.

5.) Get enough rest and eat healthy foods. Some decaf calming tea may of help if your body tolerates chamomile well.

6.) Do not study too long in one sitting; 30-45 mins in one sitting is probably the optimal time; no longer than an hour, but you must overlearn the material in time in order to perform better on the actual test.

7.) Try Oxford's GRE preparation manual too.

8.) Do not allow your stressors to become greater than your internal sense of self efficacy and ability to move forward.

Focusing on anxiety create neural connections actually strengthening the anxiety response, however, focusing on bringing it down is still over focusing on it. Do things that take your minds off of the anxiety instead, or atleast reduces it. When you do study just focus on the task at hand and remember that a little anxiety is normal and healthy.

Finally due to retrograde and anterograde memory interference always remember to review topics even if you feel very confident you have mastered them.

You can and will succeed!

Kind Regards,

PsychGraduate.

Great advice :)

But the psychology major in me has to correct "retrograde and anterograde memory interference" to retroactive and proactive interference. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Great advice :)

But the psychology major in me has to correct "retrograde and anterograde memory interference" to retroactive and proactive interference. :)

Good point. I was thinking in terms of clinical neuroscience instead of in terms of the psychology of memory changes when stressed like when studying. I had an emeritus brain fart:)

Kind Regards,
PsychGraduate.

Last edited:
If anxiety is problematic for anyone, I highly recommend taking a Beta Blocker. My doctor gave me a script and my score went from 1100 to 1270 in 3 weeks without studying. Boosting my meditation practice was also a huge component. I also changed testing loations from my previous attempts.

I was originally prescribed a beta blocker for reading poetry to large groups, but eventually used it for test-taking as well. It's really helpful for me with settling the physical symptoms that reinforce my anxiety. For example, while I was still incredibly nervous reading in front of 500 people, my voice didn't shake, my face didn't turn red, and my heart didn't beat out of my chest.

For the GRE I studied for only about a month, and when I finished one study guide and the next one had much different and more complicated advice, I became frustrated and thought "to heck with it". Frankly, I just got p*ssed off enough to quit torturing myself and get a little angry at the process instead of letting it beat me down. I took a beta blocker before the test and I calmly went through it knowing I could always try again. I hit the 1200 mark, barely, but it was good enough. I didn't take it again (personally, I don't need the stress) and I got into a good clinical program. If you have been able to get interviews already, that means you can get in as well. If you want to, take it one more time, then forget about it. You can sell yourself to grad schools with all your other skills and accomplishments. Psychologists "probably" know better than anyone else that standardized tests do not define a person. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was originally prescribed a beta blocker for reading poetry to large groups, but eventually used it for test-taking as well. It's really helpful for me with settling the physical symptoms that reinforce my anxiety. For example, while I was still incredibly nervous reading in front of 500 people, my voice didn't shake, my face didn't turn red, and my heart didn't beat out of my chest.

For the GRE I studied for only about a month, and when I finished one study guide and the next one had much different and more complicated advice, I became frustrated and thought "to heck with it". Frankly, I just got p*ssed off enough to quit torturing myself and get a little angry at the process instead of letting it beat me down. I took a beta blocker before the test and I calmly went through it knowing I could always try again. I hit the 1200 mark, barely, but it was good enough. I didn't take it again (personally, I don't need the stress) and I got into a good clinical program. If you have been able to get interviews already, that means you can get in as well. If you want to, take it one more time, then forget about it. You can sell yourself to grad schools with all your other skills and accomplishments. Psychologists "probably" know better than anyone else that standardized tests do not define a person. ;)

That doctor was being highly unethical. Beta blockers can cause some very real complications, some even life threatening. Just as an aside they use glucagon for beta blocker overdose. Switching to decaf, drinking chamomile, even a low does valium by a doctor's prescription is a safer bet than using a beta blocker. Your doctor should lose his license.

That doctor was being highly unethical. Beta blockers can cause some very real complications, some even life threatening. Just as an aside they use glucagon for beta blocker overdose. Switching to decaf, drinking chamomile, even a low does valium by a doctor's prescription is a safer bet than using a beta blocker. Your doctor should lose his license.

Not to divulge my entire medical history, but I do have high blood pressure as well and was also told I could take it daily if needed. Anyone, of course, should talk to their own doctor honestly about their particular situation. For me, it has been helpful and from looking into it on my own, it can be prescribed for "performance" anxiety. Incidentally, she has been one of the few doctors who has been proactive in trying to unravel other symptoms I have, INSTEAD of just writing a prescription and sending me on my way.

Not to divulge my entire medical history, but I do have high blood pressure as well and was also told I could take it daily if needed. Anyone, of course, should talk to their own doctor honestly about their particular situation. For me, it has been helpful and from looking into it on my own, it can be prescribed for "performance" anxiety. Incidentally, she has been one of the few doctors who has been proactive in trying to unravel other symptoms I have, INSTEAD of just writing a prescription and sending me on my way.

If in fact this is true and lifestyle changes were not enough AND your BP was very high and sustained for multiple BP readings/ascultations AND a calcium channel blocker was not indicated then getting a beta blocker prescribed by a reputable doctor who conducted a throrough history AND an examination then that is all well and good, but it is not a good idea to prescribe a beat blocker for performance anxiety. This comes from Harrison's Principles of Medicine, several discussions of myself with MD's of Internal Medicine and Cardiology AND a couple of Psychiatrists. Sometimes psychotropic medication is presribed which lower blood pressure BUT the client/patient must be closely monitored. Extreme anxiety may require a medication used in an off label manner, BUT not just to reduce anxiety for a test. That is not ethical in Internal Medicine or Psychiatry plain and simple. I do not know your age or how "high" your BP is or for how long, so I cannot comment on that aspect, but I can tell you no doctor I spoke to, including my own would prescribe a beta blocker to reduce performance anxiety. They would prescribe a low dose benzodiazepine before a beta blocker which also lowers heart rate and BP in a safer manner, provided of course the patient does not exhibit drug seeking behavior or has some allergy or medical condition precluding a valium or xanax. Of course this practice is not as often as it was in the older days of internal medicine, general practice and psychiatry as it once was, but Current Diagnosis, Cecil and Harrison still provide provisions for it.

In good faith that your BP has benefitted from a beta blocker and an ancillary benefit was a higher GRE score I am in all sincerity happy for you. It would not most likely kill you and yes MD's can try things with medications that are not FDA approved or in the textbooks, but that is just not a good idea for JUST performance anxiety:)

Kind Regards,

Pscyhgraduate

Last edited:
I'm considering buying five CAT practice tests for 20 bucks on 800 score.com
Does taking a bunch of practice tests help? I've already taken 2 and will probably take 2 or 3 more without the 5 additional ones.

My question is do taking a bunch of practice tests help or is their a plateau for an increase of performance after 1 or 2 practice tests?

Thank you.

PS. I figured I'd bump the latest GRE thread rather than add to the millions of GRE threads on here :)

My personal opinion, which is worth what you are paying for it... It helps, but only if you begin to learn the question types and how to handle them. Once you can easily identify the "type" of question you are dealing with, the benefit decreases some but still builds confidence. Confidence is nearly as important as the raw knowledge. It is far easier to raise your math score than your verbal score.

Mark

I'm considering buying five CAT practice tests for 20 bucks on 800 score.com
Does taking a bunch of practice tests help? I've already taken 2 and will probably take 2 or 3 more without the 5 additional ones.

My question is do taking a bunch of practice tests help or is their a plateau for an increase of performance after 1 or 2 practice tests?

Thank you.

PS. I figured I'd bump the latest GRE thread rather than add to the millions of GRE threads on here :)

I would take as many free GRE tests as possible. Depending on where my score was after the last one, I might buy a few more for $4 each.