SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Desperately Seeking Advice From All

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Chosen1, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Chosen1

Chosen1

Apr 23, 2007
    Ok, I need some general advice.

I am currently in undergrad majoring in economics :sleep:. I have decided that I am going to go back to my first love which is medicine. Unfortunately I am close to graduating, so I am going to finish up with economics.

I am going to go back to school to take all of my medical school requirements. Can you help me out :confused: . What calsses are the most important in taking the MCAT. Also when I graduate my GPA won't be spectacular. I do plan on getting a high GPA when I go back to school and get my degree in Biology.

I am just rally wanting to be a doctor. I have always wanted to be one but when I got into college I let a counselor change my mind :mad: .

What advice do you have for me?? What classes should I take? What should my focus be on?

Thanks for the advice!!!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. saylorsdad

saylorsdad OSU-CHS OMSII 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Tushka, OK
    If you graduate you will no longer be elgible for the pell grant. So my advice is that if you are elgible for the pell grant then just change your major and finish your degree and graduate.

4. DocSuperstar

DocSuperstar

Feb 16, 2007
    Let me save you years of stress and reapplication cycles. stick with economics unless you have definetly decided that you simple cannot live without an MD/DO after your name. A business career is fantastic. Also, being a doctor for the money does not make any sense to me personally. Just my sister's yearly bonus (she works at an investment bank) puts most doctor's salaries to shame.

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004

The prereqs for med school, which are the subjects tested on the MCAT are as follows: 2 semesters of gen chem, 2 semesters of biology, 2 semesters of organic chem, and 2 semesters of physics. Med schools also require a year of math (for some places calculus) and english. A small number of med schools require biochem. Once you have taken the prereqs, you are adequately prepared to start studying for the MCAT.

If your college intro bio courses are weak, you may want to consider supplimenting it with genetics and physiology. (I saw no need, myself, but have heard about plant heavy intro bio courses that neglect these subjects).

I see no point getting a degree in biology, if you are already getting one in econ. You just need the prereqs, as I understand your post.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Inside the tesseract
    How unspectacular is your current GPA?

7. Kateb4

Kateb4 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    So, you are planning on going back for a second degree? If it were me, I would just change majors now, and not graduate with the econ degree, or stick with econ, but don't graduate yet and do the pre-reqs for med school while still covered under your undergrad funding.

If money is not an issue to you, then I'd just do an informal post-bacc for the required pre-reqs, you don't need to do the entire bio degree, and it won't really help you much either unless your GPA is that bad and you need more hours to get it up.

8. Chosen1

Chosen1

Apr 23, 2007
    When I graduate my GPA will be about a 3.25 :(

9. Kateb4

Kateb4 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    That's really not bad. Are you looking to get into the top tier schools? What is your BCPM GPA? If you still have all of your pre-reqs to take (I assume you've only taken a few science classes if any and probably just a few math classes) that gives you enough left to bring that GPA up a bit, and really will be all of your science GPA, so just do the pre-req's as an informal post-bacc and be sure not to slack on those classes. Also, a high MCAT will make up for a lower GPA. You'll be fine.

10. Johnny_D

Johnny_D Just strummin' away 5+ Year Member

Nov 1, 2004
    You can do one of two things: First, you can stay in undergrad and just change your major. Or you can graduate and take your science courses in a post-bacc program. Some programs require you to have worked and gained experience already. They say it adds depth to the program. Other programs do not care.

I did a post-bacc program at a state university. It was cheap and had a great reputation.