Desperately want a break from school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TempsRun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, addressing the most important thing here: you really need to calm down.

We all get B's sometimes even C's or D's. That doesn't mean you won't get an A in the class, and even if you dont, it's not the end of the world. I'm surprised that you haven't run into this yet by your junior year.

Don't worry about residency and whatnot right now. First things first: relax.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your idea of speaking with a psychiatrist or social worker is something you should schedule Monday morning. With them you can talk through all your concerns and come up with an action plan together.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an adcom, but as a non-trad student I see no downside to taking gap years.
Taking the time to get your dosages under control (please go see your provider about this, it's not a trivial issue) and to do other things that you think are important are well worth the time away from school.
Yes, applications will ask what you did in your time away from classes. But so long as you were actually doing something, this isn't an issue and can even be a positive (it shows good judgement to step away when you're overwhelmed and fix things before going back into the fray). You mentioned doing volunteering and research- either or both would be a good use of your time and would allow you more flexibility to deal with your personal issues than the constant rush of classes.
Best of luck to you.