What exactly do medical schools want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mk5443

Reaction score
Been lurking a long time but I just needed to ask- what exactly do medical schools want from applicants? I feel like I (and so many others) have done everything right- 3.9 GPA, 524 MCAT, a pub, significant volunteering (clinical and non-clinical, helped grow a non-profit over 15 times and I'm director level), shadowing, good recommendations, submitted all secondaries first day, etc etc. I've even started multiple very successful companies (successful enough that people wonder why I don't just retire already). It's been my dream to go into medicine since I was a kid, but right now, out of 34 schools, I'm at 4 Rs and 1 hold with no IIs, and it's very hard not to feel discouraged when I'm turning down incredible business and new venture opportunities. I know everyone my age is still in college, so it's not the end of the world for me if I don't get in this cycle, but how do the rest of you guys do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Been lurking a long time but I just needed to ask- what exactly do medical schools want from applicants? I feel like I (and so many others) have done everything right- 3.9 GPA, 524 MCAT, a pub, significant volunteering (clinical and non-clinical, helped grow a non-profit over 15 times and I'm director level), shadowing, good recommendations, submitted all secondaries first day, etc etc. I've even started multiple very successful companies (successful enough that people wonder why I don't just retire already). It's been my dream to go into medicine since I was a kid, but right now, out of 34 schools, I'm at 4 Rs and 1 hold with no IIs, and it's very hard not to feel discouraged when I'm turning down incredible business and new venture opportunities. I know everyone my age is still in college, so it's not the end of the world for me if I don't get in this cycle, but how do the rest of you guys do it?
Welcome to the forums, and sorry about your streak of bad luck. Please post a WAMC in the subthread if you want a deep analysis of what could be going wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
"I did everything right and they'vent invited me." (guess the reference)

It's still early in the cycle, most T20 schools are still in July complete apps. (I think)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
successful enough that people wonder why I don't just retire already
It sounds like you have great experiences as well as stats, though your experiences seem somewhat fragmented in terms of a common narrative or theme with respect to medicine from what I can see. Could it be that schools may be wondering what brings you to medicine given that you have had so much success elsewhere?

I agree with the above that it's a little early to panic. Having said that, why does someone with good stats not get snapped up right away? Lots of things come to mind. You might not meet the school mission criteria or had a lackluster response to " Why medicine? You may be short on hours with respect to shadowing and service to others. I have had a few applicants with unflattering comments buried in the middle of a 3 page LOR. Lastly, there are some Rock Stars out there. There are lots of strong applicants out there and their apps take time to process. It's still pretty early, so try to be patient. Remember, at interviews, you are auditioning to be my doctor. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the above that it's a little early to panic. Having said that, why does someone with good stats not get snapped up right away? Lots of things come to mind. You might not meet the school mission criteria or had a lackluster response to " Why medicine? You may be short on hours with respect to shadowing and service to others. I have had a few applicants with unflattering comments buried in the middle of a 3 page LOR. Lastly, there are some Rock Stars out there. There are lots of strong applicants out there and their apps take time to process. It's still pretty early, so try to be patient. Remember, at interviews, you are auditioning to be my doctor. Good luck and best wishes!
One could also have a bad LOR or essays.

Reactions: 5 users
If you are any good, you should have an interview invite by Thanksgiving. Until then, I beg you to be patient. This is a long process and that fact that you are the cat's meow will not necessarily get you an interview in the first month or two of the interview cycle.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
One thing I find is a challenge for students is understanding how much "narrative" matters.

This is how all of the activities you've been involved in, including your academic preparation, has prepared you in unique and specific ways to be a good physician. Are you passionate about working with migrant populations, and have developed language skills, volunteered with organizations supporting those populations, worked in clinics where you deal with patients where there might be language barriers?

Are you passionate about working with children, and have you taken classes in child psychology, worked with kids in your volunteer activities, and have experience shadowing and working in pediatrics offices?

It's not that all your activities have to perfectly align: sometimes the most useful experiences are those that help you realize an area is not for you. But the more cohesive your narrative is at showing the committee what type of physician you want to be and how you have been preparing for that, the better (at least in my experience).

I will also say the students I see coming from my program with the highest success are those who work full time for a few years before applying. Sometimes they work in research, sometimes non-profits, sometimes in healthcare, sometimes in all of the above. But it really helps them have very, very specific experiences they can talk about and a much more well developed articulation of what they want in their career and why medicine is the best fit for that.

It's worth thinking about: for example, this statement:
It's been my dream to go into medicine since I was a kid
Is something I see a lot, but doesn't really articulate a lot: what you wanted as a kid when you didn't have a realistic understanding of what the field was isn't that relevant to showing why you, as an adult running a non-profit, want to move into medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
With a 3.9/524, a paper, and good clinical experiences, I doubt no II’s is “bad luck”. I’d consider if you had some red flag / bad LOR

Reactions: 1 user
If I am reading this correctly:
1. Everyone your age is still in college. So that would make you about 20 give or take.
2. You're the director of a non-profit and have helped it grow "over 15 times." Not sure what that means.
3. You've started multiple very successful companies, to the point where others think you can retire.
4. You're currently turning down "incredible business and new venture opportunities."
5. On top of all this, you have a 3.9/524 and submitted 34 secondaries each within 1 day of receipt.

If medicine doesn't work out, perhaps you an run for office. I think NY's 3rd congressional district may have an open seat in the near future.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Thanks everyone for your comments, guess I'll just have to wait and see where I'm at in a few months :unsure: I know it's been said but this process is just so soul-sucking I don't know how anyone does it!

If I am reading this correctly:
1. Everyone your age is still in college. So that would make you about 20 give or take.
2. You're the director of a non-profit and have helped it grow "over 15 times." Not sure what that means.
3. You've started multiple very successful companies, to the point where others think you can retire.
4. You're currently turning down "incredible business and new venture opportunities."
5. On top of all this, you have a 3.9/524 and submitted 34 secondaries each within 1 day of receipt.

If medicine doesn't work out, perhaps you an run for office. I think NY's 3rd congressional district may have an open seat in the near future.
Haha, suppose it's all a matter of perspective!