1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Destroyer Ochem#14/15/16

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Daniel2008, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Daniel2008

Hey so for

no.14 I'm confused as to how to distinguish from choice c and d. H2/Pt changes -NO2 to -NH2 but doesn't H3O+:OH- do that also?

no.15
    After K2Cr2O7 oxidizes cyclohexanol I'm not sure to go about converting it to the final product...what exactly occurs with choice b and c?

no.16

again the K2Cr2O7 is oxidizing the alcohol to the ketone form, and I'm unsure of how excess I2 and OH- affect the molecule.

--Ochem is a weak point for me, and I'm just starting question review.All help's appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bis-GMA111

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    To my knowledge, only Sn/HCl and H2/Pt convert NO2-->NH2 but i could be wrong

4. Daniel2008

thanks! I'm having trouble remembering what reagents do...there are so many!!

5. wired202808

wired202808 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

use the roadmaps in the destroyer for clarity

6. rpatel8

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For 15, you simple make the ketone and then it is a wittig reaction.

For 16, you make the ketone and the I2/OH- is a haloform reaction. You can look at the mechanism online but it will form a carboxylate which is then protonated by the H3O+ to form the carboxylic acid.