1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyer Ochem#14/15/16

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Daniel2008, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Daniel2008

Hey so for

no.14 I'm confused as to how to distinguish from choice c and d. H2/Pt changes -NO2 to -NH2 but doesn't H3O+:OH- do that also?

no.15
    After K2Cr2O7 oxidizes cyclohexanol I'm not sure to go about converting it to the final product...what exactly occurs with choice b and c?

no.16

again the K2Cr2O7 is oxidizing the alcohol to the ketone form, and I'm unsure of how excess I2 and OH- affect the molecule.

--Ochem is a weak point for me, and I'm just starting question review.All help's appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bis-GMA111

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    To my knowledge, only Sn/HCl and H2/Pt convert NO2-->NH2 but i could be wrong

4. Daniel2008

thanks! I'm having trouble remembering what reagents do...there are so many!!

5. wired202808

wired202808 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

use the roadmaps in the destroyer for clarity

6. rpatel8

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For 15, you simple make the ketone and then it is a wittig reaction.

For 16, you make the ketone and the I2/OH- is a haloform reaction. You can look at the mechanism online but it will form a carboxylate which is then protonated by the H3O+ to form the carboxylic acid.