whawha

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
If ethylbenzene is treated with Br2/uv, we get a bromine on the benzylic carbon, right?

If it is treated with NBS, ROOR and heat, aren't we supposed to have the bromine on the second carbon (btw, what is that carbon called?)

I remember a question where it was saying, NBS,ROOR would attach bromine to allylic position, say if you have a cyclohexene.

Am i missing something?

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
If ethylbenzene is treated with Br2/uv, we get a bromine on the benzylic carbon, right?

If it is treated with NBS, ROOR and heat, aren't we supposed to have the bromine on the second carbon (btw, what is that carbon called?)

I remember a question where it was saying, NBS,ROOR would attach bromine to allylic position, say if you have a cyclohexene.

Am i missing something?
As I recall, NBS/ROOR will attach Br to the benzyllic carbon just like Br2/hv.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
But, if you have peroxide, doesn't it normally follow Anti-markovnikov rule? So, bromine attached on less stable carbocation, which is C2 in the compound above?
I think the peroxides are just added as initiators for free radical bromination. Pretty much whenever you see NBS with alkyl benzenes, Br is selectively substituted at the benzyllic carbon.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
What about simple alkene? It will be anti-markov, right?
If you're still talking about NBS/ROOR, bromination then occurs at the allylic C...Markovnikov's isn't relevant.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
And, HBR/ROOR and NBS/ROOR do the same thing, right? Thank you again :)
I don't think they do the same thing.

HBr/ROOR adds Br anti-markovnikov and NBS/ROOR will add it to the allylic carbon...

Right?