Plz, should I retake? 3.35GPA, 22AA/22TS/21PAT/20RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

planisphere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.35 oGPA
22AA
22TS
21 PAT
21 QR
20 RC
20 Bio (I am surprised by the number of questions on embryology. I think I got like three questions and got all wrong. Sth about Hox gene and gray crescent...and Angiosperm:mad: I studied so much for body systems...)
28 GC
23 OC

I'm just trying to get into any dental school by applying tens of dental schools. I don't know the weight of each section, but I think Bio score brought both of my averages down a lot. I think my score is very well-rounded all sections combined, but my GPA is low...

I am thinking of retaking DAT to compensate for my low GPA, but I am afraid I will get lower score.

Any comments will be appreciated...

P.S. If retake is recommended, how did you guys study for OC? Did you guys memorize all reactions in textbooks? Francis Carey textbook has like 27 chapters with reactions in each chapter. I have no idea how to study this. (I know Bio is like a lottery even if you study a lot so I won't even bother asking).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
3.35 oGPA
22AA
22TS
21 PAT
21 QR
20 RC
20 Bio
28 GC
23 OC

I'm just trying to get into any dental school by applying tens of dental schools. I don't know the weight of each section, but I think Bio score brought both of my averages down a lot. I think my score is very well-rounded all sections combined, but my GPA is low...

I am thinking of retaking DAT to compensate for my low GPA, but I am afraid I will get lower score.

P.S. If retake is recommended, how did you guys study for OC? Did you guys memorize all reactions in textbooks? Francis Carey textbook has like 27 chapters with reactions in each chapter. I have no idea how to study this. (I know Bio is like a lottery even if you study a lot so I won't even bother asking).
Congratulations! Very nice scores indeed. I love that 22/22 very consistent and dental schools will like that too, plus you don't have any low scores,. IMO, a retake is not necessary, focus on your personal statement that is often the door opener to that interview.. When you get an interview just be prepared if you are asked about your GPA. I would do your homework and apply to schools where you have the best chance at acceptance.

You should be very proud of these scores.

Wishing you the best...Nancy

3.35 oGPA
22AA
22TS
21 PAT
21 QR
20 RC
20 Bio
28 GC
23 OC

Congratulations! Very nice scores indeed. I love that 22/22 very consistent and dental schools will like that too, plus you don't have any low scores,. IMO, a retake is not necessary, focus on your personal statement that is often the door opener to that interview.. When you get an interview just be prepared if you are asked about your GPA. I would do your homework and apply to schools where you have the best chance at acceptance.

You should be very proud of these scores.

Wishing you the best...Nancy
I thought my score was alright, but I see a bunch of 23+ I am frightened...but thank you for your expertise Nancy!..

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are still great scores and falls in the range of matriculants! I don't suggest you retake unless you have below an 18

3.35 oGPA
22AA
22TS
21 PAT
21 QR
20 RC
20 Bio (I am surprised by the number of questions on embryology. I think I got like three questions and got all wrong. Sth about Hox gene and gray crescent...and Angiosperm:mad: I studied so much for body systems...)
28 GC
23 OC

I doubt retaking the DAT will help. That’s already a really good score. Apply and see what happens

3.35 oGPA
22AA
22TS
21 PAT
21 QR
20 RC
28 GC
23 OC

Gpa isn’t that low.

Don't you dare retake that DAT.
I am only trying to compensate for my low GPA - it seems according to 2021 ADDSAS guidebook my gpa is definitely lower than average for most of schools (but thankfully 22 being higher than average for most of schools).

I think I can bring up my science scores, but since I'm not even a native speaker I'm gambling on RC, and possibly PAT (I think I got lucky to get 20 on RC as a non-native speaker).

Are you possibly recommending me not to retake because it is more likely that I'll do worse than better than 22?

I doubt retaking the DAT will help. That’s already a really good score. Apply and see what happens
Thanks. As most of eager applicants I am paranoid and that "see what happens" scares me but aight. haha

Your response made me smile, and I agree not sure why they would even consider it!:unsure:
I guess currently I am very frightened about my low GPA - but I guess I will take your advices, but as the common saying goes, doing nothing is the hardest thing to do :( tbh I am not confident to get 20 or higher again for RC/PAT - they felt so random.

Your response made me smile, and I agree not sure why they would even consider it!:unsure:
Even if I manage to bring up AA/TS by 1 (22=>23), but get any score lower than 20 (like 18 or 19), it would be worse, right?

I guess currently I am very frightened about my low GPA - but I guess I will take your advices, but as the common saying goes, doing nothing is the hardest thing to do :( tbh I am not confident to get 20 or higher again for RC/PAT - they felt so random.
Trust your instinct which is telling you not to take it again, because you don't feel confident it would be higher. Try to relax, I know it is hard. I have worked with students for many many years and being frightened is not uncommon. Take the great advice being offered here, Mr.Smile12 is an admissions advisor I like his advice and I quote, "Don't you dare retake that DAT."
Nancy

Trust your instinct which is telling you not to take it again, because you don't feel confident it would be higher. Try to relax, I know it is hard. I have worked with students for many many years and being frightened is not uncommon. Take the great advice being offered here, Mr.Smile12 is an admissions advisor I like his advice and I quote, "Don't you dare retake that DAT."
Nancy

Thank you for your consistent listening to my nagging :(
Those people who upload their score reports like 23,24+ must be only a tiny portion of whole takers, right?...

Thank you for your consistent listening to my nagging :(
Those people who upload their score reports like 23,24+ must be only a tiny portion of whole takers, right?...
Getting into dental school is more than a score. Students don't post scores if they are low, or should I saw rarely post low scores. Your scores are excellent and don't let anyone make you believe otherwise.