Details About Caribbean Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IveGotQuestions

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a Canadian High School Student, who wants to become a doctor. I've heard a lot about Caribbean Medical Schools and that they offer faster programs than Canadian schools. However, I do have a few questions about Caribbean Medical Schools that I was hoping some of you would be able to answer for me.
  1. How much is a Caribbean degree worth in Canada? If it is so easy to be accepted into the programs, then are the degrees comparable to ones from Canadian Universities?
  2. What are the programs like? How long are they? What options are there?
  3. How does one practice in Canada with a Caribbean degree? Can you? Do you have to take some extra courses in Canada?
  4. What are the best/top Medical schools in the Caribbean?
If you know any additional information that you think might help me, then I would really appreciate it if you share it with me. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm a Canadian High School Student, who wants to become a doctor. I've heard a lot about Caribbean Medical Schools and that they offer faster programs than Canadian schools. However, I do have a few questions about Caribbean Medical Schools that I was hoping some of you would be able to answer for me.
  1. How much is a Caribbean degree worth in Canada? If it is so easy to be accepted into the programs, then are the degrees comparable to ones from Canadian Universities?
  2. What are the programs like? How long are they? What options are there?
  3. How does one practice in Canada with a Canadian degree? Can you? Do you have to take some extra courses in Canada?
  4. What are the best/top Medical schools in the Caribbean?
If you know any additional information that you think might help me, then I would really appreciate it if you share it with me. Thanks for your help.

You may want to edit that.

Haha, thanks for pointing that out. But do you know any of the answers to the questions I asked? That would be really helpful. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please help me out?? I would really appreciate your help!

Haha, thanks for pointing that out. But do you know any of the answers to the questions I asked? That would be really helpful. Thanks! :D

No problems. First off I do not have much insight into the questions you posed regarding Canada. The canadians on the board would be better suited to answer those. However, the answers to the questions you posed have been answered repeatedly on these forums....to the point where it becomes tedious churning out the same responses week after week when a simple search would suffice. I suggest you read a good portion of the other threads in the caribbean forum, and maybe visit www.valuemd.com. Also look at the websites of SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba as they should help you compare program lengths, course of study etc. Having done that, I guarantee you will be much more well informed.

Thank you so much!

You're welcome. I hope you found all the info. you were looking for. As an aside, given that you are still quite young, have you given much thought to Australian, Irish, or other European schools? Just something to keep in mind. There are quite a few canadians who go these routes and tend to do quite well. If you were interested you could check out those forums here on SDN.

Actually, I'm not so interested in a Caribbean school as I am in attending a school in Australia, Ireland, and England. I just wanted to check out what options I have. I'm actually going to have to start applying in the fall, so I don't really have that much time left.