Detroit Mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G.A.'s Finest

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even amidst all of the acceptance hype, I haven't seen too much info posted about Detroit Mercy. Can any pre-dents, or current students chime in about their thoughts about the school, the proposed new school (location, facilities, etc.), or their overall thoughts about the school? What are some of the biggest pros and cons of the school? I have heard many good things about the school, and was pretty impressed when I was there.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard it's a very good school. They are still asking me for supplimental information! no interviews for me yet, but you can check predents.com to see what ppl say on there.

Even amidst all of the acceptance hype, I haven't seen too much info posted about Detroit Mercy. Can any pre-dents, or current students chime in about their thoughts about the school, the proposed new school (location, facilities, etc.), or their overall thoughts about the school? What are some of the biggest pros and cons of the school? I have heard many good things about the school, and was pretty impressed when I was there.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a first year at UDM and I have quite a bit to say about them. I really should be studying for finals now, but hit me at [email protected] and i'll let you know more.

Members don't see this ad :)
UDM is a very unorganized school that is loosing a lot of their applications due to the move/wait.

UDM is a very unorganized school that is loosing a lot of their applications due to the move/wait.

honestly, I hate the fact that for every little question, we have to submit it in a written format!!! I just want to see if my letter of recommendation was received or not?! do i still have to write a letter? and plus that, by the time they get back to me with thier monthly update, it would be the end of app cycle!

honestly, I hate the fact that for every little question, we have to submit it in a written format!!! I just want to see if my letter of recommendation was received or not?! do i still have to write a letter? and plus that, by the time they get back to me with thier monthly update, it would be the end of app cycle!

I'm in the same situation you are juju. Just be comforted by the fact that their application cycle is twice as long as most d-schools. UDM usually doesn't fill its class until early summer, whereas at other schools you would be lucky to get in after February. Good luck to you!

Yo Real talk I was given a personal tour of the school(old) and strictly by appearance I was very impressed. My aunt went there and she swears by it, but she went there for hygiene. From what I heard though the clinical experience can only be matched and not beat by any other school.

"Knowledge is food for thought so I wisely swallow."

Have you been to any other dental schools? You were "very" impressed by their facilities?

From what I heard though the clinical experience can only be matched and not beat by any other school.

Two of my good friends are Michigan d-school grads and both have said exactly the same thing regarding the clinical experience at Mercy. One went on to say that those initially coming out of Mercy are more "clinically" prepared to practice than those coming out of UM's program. I thought it was quite a compliment.

They have a couple unique application requirements that you should be aware of before applying, to avoid my mistake. One is that you need to have a LOR from a dentist attesting that you have shadowed him/her and spent a reasonable amount of time in his/her office. I sent them rec letters from two dentsists that I knew very well, but hadn't shadowed, and they were rejected. Another requirement is that you have to send them your transcripts directly, they won't take them through AADSAS. Good luck if you choose to apply there!

Give it a shot, you never know what will happen. Just send your transcripts ahead of time, and get your letters there ahead also (send directly to the school). Dont use AADSAS it takes too long.