developmental milestones - conflicting dates ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeahawksFan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As if developmental milestones weren't difficult to remember in the first place... there are conflicting dates/developmental milestones in UW questions and FA..

I dont know what to do.. please help me ! :-(

Members don't see this ad.

As if developmental milestones weren't difficult to remember in the first place... there are conflicting dates/developmental milestones in UW questions and FA..

I dont know what to do.. please help me ! :-(

Developmental milestones generally represent 50th %tiles. If a child is stacking 5 blocks at two years that's normal, even though you hear 6 is the standard. You have to use your intuition if something just seems too devious.

Also as a general pattern for fine motor skills and blocks, you can multiple the age by 2 to give you the number of blocks to use:

3 years - stacks 6 cubes (3x2)
2 years - stacks 4 cubes (2x2)
15 months - "pick up three cubes" - 15 months is around 1.5 years, so 1.5 x 2

Also as a general pattern for fine motor skills and blocks, you can multiple the age by 2 to give you the number of blocks to use:

3 years - stacks 6 cubes (3x2)
2 years - stacks 4 cubes (2x2)
15 months - "pick up three cubes" - 15 months is around 1.5 years, so 1.5 x 2

Stacking 6 blocks at age 3 would be delayed milestone. Should be nine. I'm not trying to be confusing based on my above post, but 6 blocks is definitely age 2. 5-6 is acceptable for age 2. But in your defense in real life nobody really cares about this sort of thing anyway and assessing progression is based on a myriad of things, not exactly how many blocks a kid cares to stack.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there really anyway...any trick..any mnemonic...anything at all to help me memorize this **** ?

I just cant memorize it... or should i just brute force my way through it ? Thanks

Stacking 6 blocks at age 3 would be delayed milestone. Should be nine. I'm not trying to be confusing based on my above post, but 6 blocks is definitely age 2. 5-6 is acceptable for age 2. But in your defense in real life nobody really cares about this sort of thing anyway and assessing progression is based on a myriad of things, not exactly how many blocks a kid cares to stack.
Oh alright, nice correction, I appreciate that. Will reorganize that info in my head for the future. Maybe it was a multiple of x3 then.

Is there really anyway...any trick..any mnemonic...anything at all to help me memorize this **** ?

I just cant memorize it... or should i just brute force my way through it ? Thanks

3, 6, 9, 12 is good for head up, sits up, crawls, walks. You'll get asked those. 4-5 months is rolling over. 10-11 is standing with support. But memorize the 3, 6, 9 and 12 first.

The rest, yeah, is annoying and you basically just have to memorize in bits and pieces over time.

Reactions: 1 user