Dfas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

CaptainZero

Is anyone else that just finished ther 4th year ADTs having a hard time getting reimbursed from travel expenses from DFAS?? Of the close to $5500 I had to front for these away rotations, I have received about $3,000. I can't get through to DFAS b/c of the holiday, so I have no idea what the possible reason for this is. I know I get the forms filled out correctly and that I include all of the appropriate documents, but it seems I have to go through this BS everytime I submit a voucher...is it their policy just to pay half of the voucher and try to f*ck you over for the rest of it?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else that just finished ther 4th year ADTs having a hard time getting reimbursed from travel expenses from DFAS?? Of the close to $5500 I had to front for these away rotations, I have received about $3,000. I can't get through to DFAS b/c of the holiday, so I have no idea what the possible reason for this is. I know I get the forms filled out correctly and that I include all of the appropriate documents, but it seems I have to go through this BS everytime I submit a voucher...is it their policy just to pay half of the voucher and try to f*ck you over for the rest of it?

The military currently owes me about 7.5k due to not wanting to fully reimburse me for my last couple tdy's. I've been working w/ the finace dept, but getting them to do a single thing requires me to go there physically, which is difficult to find time for as a resident.

The statement you received from DFAS regarding your reimbursement should tell you why you did not receive the full amount.

I received a partial reimbursement earlier this year, but after looking at my form it turns out I forgot to include a couple of receipts. I submitted a supplemental reimbursement request and got the money in about 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The statement you received from DFAS regarding your reimbursement should tell you why you did not receive the full amount.

I received a partial reimbursement earlier this year, but after looking at my form it turns out I forgot to include a couple of receipts. I submitted a supplemental reimbursement request and got the money in about 2 weeks.

So I just got a statement in the mail from DFAS stating that I needed a paid reciept for my lodging to get reimbursed ($2750). I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I included that reciept along with my original travel voucher. I had to add extra postage because it made the envelope that much thicker. Anyway, it looks as if I'm going to have to get another copy of it and remail it. When you submitted that supplemental reimbursement, was there a particular form you used or did you fill out a new travel voucher?

I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I included that reciept along with my original travel voucher. I had to add extra postage because it made the envelope that much thicker. Anyway, it looks as if I'm going to have to get another copy of it and remail it.

Whenever dealing with finances or the military in general ALWAYS keep copies of everything you submit because this will happen more often than not. Good luck.

Good advice on keeping copies. Always keep copies of EVERYTHING involving the military.

You can re-submit using the same form but you must write SUPPLEMENTAL across the top and in one of the boxes at the bottom. Give them a call and they can tell you how to do it in case I missed something but I think that's all I did. Then I just listed the items I was claiming and included copies of receipts and that was that.

I have many years of dealing with the military travel issue (and some of the interactions were quite frustrating).

USUHS students have problems with this sort of thing. HPSP students have HUGE problems with travel vouchers. (Please note, I'm not pointing the finger at the student, I'm pointing it at the system).

Some questions:

What finance office do you have to file with? (Varies by Service).

Do they accept travel vouchers and supporting documents by e-mail?

The e mail with scanned receipts, orders, etc, as .pdf attachments works great (especially the return receipt requested option) *if* the finance office you have to file with will accept them. Some will, some won't. I've filed 20 page vouchers this way.

If they won't take e mail, will they take fax (at least you have the original forms and receipts and a transmission verification)....

Concur with writing "Supplemental" if you want more money on a partially paid voucher or "Resubmission" if you didn't get paid at all.

Also, concur with keeping copies. Keep them (hard or e copy) for at least 3 years including the settlement voucher. I know someone who was told to repay a travel payment because the voucher got "lost" and the assumption was it was an erroneous or fraudulent payment. Fortunately, he was able to present a notarized copy of the settled voucher to end the issue (he kept the original, of course)....

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone...I got a copy of the receipt, filled out another voucher and wrote "supplemental for lodging reimbursement" in box 22 and faxed it (so I now have the originals). After talking to DFAS, it turns out that the reason my claim was denied was because the "receipt" that the hotel gave me (and that I subsequently sent) was actually just an itemized bill, and did not indicate a zero balance...

I suggest you scan all finance records, keep it on a flash drive for deployment later, keep hard copies in secure location.

I also advise you to put all excess payments in a money market and not touch it for a minium of 24 months.