DFAS. Again.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

CaptainZero

I'm just venting here, but I have to say that if dealing with other aspects of the army admin is at all like dealing with DFAS, I'm going to hate the next 8 years of my life. Everytime I submit and resubmit travel vouchers for my recent ADTs they find new and creative ways to deny them. The most recent being that my hotel receipt did not show a zero balance...they told me this in a statement that they mailed to my house in an envelop that included the itemized receipt that I originally sent to them that very clearly indicated that $1312 had been charged to my visa card, leaving a REMAINING BALANCE OF $0.00. So essentially they returned to me what they said I never gave them. Fantastic

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just venting here, but I have to say that if dealing with other aspects of the army admin is at all like dealing with DFAS, I'm going to hate the next 8 years of my life. Everytime I submit and resubmit travel vouchers for my recent ADTs they find new and creative ways to deny them. The most recent being that my hotel receipt did not show a zero balance...they told me this in a statement that they mailed to my house in an envelop that included the itemized receipt that I originally sent to them that very clearly indicated that $1312 had been charged to my visa card, leaving a REMAINING BALANCE OF $0.00. So essentially they returned to me what they said I never gave them. Fantastic

It just takes some experience to figure out what exactly they are looking for, your next submissions should go much better. DFAS has improved quite a bit since I came in, but they can still be a little slow at times. The active army is currently switching to a new electronic process that produces payment in 2-3 days vs 2-3 weeks. I started using it last year and was very impressed with the results.

that said...faxing in vouchers still takes time and there is the human factor that screws them up on the DFAS side.

Seriously, DFAS is one of the worst parts of the army.
I filled out a form 4 years ago to stop my SGLI deductions when I started HPSP, since I was no longer eligible for SGLI unless I was on active duty. Well, since I filled out a new SGLV form during OBC that was just supposed to be valid only during OBC and they lost my form to cancel SGLI deductions at the end of OBC, they charged me for four years of SGLI which amounts to over $600 in charges. Of course, I called them about 100 times over the past three years trying to get it stopped, but everytime I called, they said they could do nothing unless HPSP initiated the action. So I called the wonderful student manager for the end of the alphabet about 50 times and she kept giving different excuses why she couldn't do anything and I should call DFAS, blah blah blah. I repeated this cycle for three years. Finally, after a 3 hour phone call session where I was transferred repeatedly, I got it stopped. However, the $600 that they've taken over the past four years has not been refunded. I can't wait to see what hoops I have to jump through to get that back. It almost doesn't seem worth it.
sorry for venting.