Diabetic retinopathy denegerates retina?

Started by deleted205891
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted205891

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to my physio test, diabetic retinopathy degenerates the retina. I believe that this is not true (along with many people in my class and a professor of a different class). What do y'all think?

I don't think the retina is actually degenerated, it's just the blood vessels that obstruct vision.
 
According to my physio test, diabetic retinopathy degenerates the retina. I believe that this is not true (along with many people in my class and a professor of a different class). What do y'all think?

I don't think the retina is actually degenerated, it's just the blood vessels that obstruct vision.

What I understood was that, while it primarily affects the vasculature, it can eventually lead to retinal detachment. Still...poor question, I'd argue the case.
 
What was the actual question, because this sounds an awful lot like the Obi Wan Kenobi theory of explanation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question:

Which statement about commonly encountered eye diseases is (are) correct?

A. Cataract is the opacity of the cornea.
B. Glaucoma is due to increased pressure of the vitreous fluid.
C. Diabetic retinopathy is the degeneration of the retina.
D. All of the above.

I picked B but that's obviously not correct either since it's aqueous fluid, not vitreous (though another professor told us after the test that we could possibly make a case for B).

I got a 70 on this test (average 66), so I'd like to get all the points I can get back, considering I got a 70 on one of the 2 previous physio tests as well. There was another poorly worded question, but I guess he's right in a way on that one, so I'm not going to argue it.