Diablo 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mine is coming today!!

Yes I know this is off-topic, but I figured most of you wouldn't believe that I was a gamer or that pediatricians played Diablo:smuggrin:

Mostly a solo gamer, can't handle the rough on-line action at my age.:p.

Who else is getting Diablo 3 this week after waiting a mere 4 years for it ?

I'll probably remove this thread after I'm infracted for it.....

Edit: Didn't come today - promised for tomorrow. Bummer, but I'll live. Maybe.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pediatricians that like to play video games? Way to perpetuate stereotypes, OBP :mad:

Now excuse me while I play some Super Mario Bros. on my still functioning 15 year old SNES :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just turned in my PhD thesis, don't start third year rotations for another 1.5 months, haven't really played any computer games since college and loved Diablo and Diablo 2 as a kid so I thought about getting Diablo 3 to help fill the time until starting 3rd year. I hear some not-so-good things about the DRM associated with the game so I'm still debating whether or not to spend the $60. OBP, please let us know what you think!

It's shipping today, so I'm not surprised you don't have it. Amazon tells me (digitally) that my copy should arrive on or about the 22nd. I'm much more in favor of having media in hand versus a download.

As for online, I am with you that I can't tolerate losing to some 12 y/o kid, who says "I just kicked your ass!" with a cracking voice.

Definitely not playing Diablo III, I heard it's super lame and not good at all.

At least that's what I'm telling myself until I can get a computer that can run it, stupid graphics card :(

Definitely not playing Diablo III, I heard it's super lame and not good at all.

At least that's what I'm telling myself until I can get a computer that can run it, stupid graphics card :(

The network was all buggy last night. If you could play StarCraft II, the "Wings of Liberty" campaign, then you can run Diablo 3.

I played the beta, was fun but expected more after 12 yrs or whatever! Sorta want to get it still, maybe after I turn in ERAS, or after Step II? OBP what are your impressions so far?

I played the beta, was fun but expected more after 12 yrs or whatever! Sorta want to get it still, maybe after I turn in ERAS, or after Step II? OBP what are your impressions so far?

That the USPS sux. Now they say I'll get it tomorrow, but I won't have much time for it for a little while.

Care for critically ill babies or play Diablo??

Eh, "CBC, blood gas and CXR and I'll be out to see the baby in a little while.":D

j/k

Members don't see this ad :)
The network was all buggy last night. If you could play StarCraft II, the "Wings of Liberty" campaign, then you can run Diablo 3.

That one was a no go as well unfortunately (or fortunately for my grades). I definitely need a new computer.

Pediatricians that like to play video games? Way to perpetuate stereotypes, OBP :mad:

Now excuse me while I play some Super Mario Bros. on my still functioning 15 year old SNES :smuggrin:

Pediatricians play video games... like Diablo 3?

wallpaper_diablo_3_09.jpg

Evil is back:
[YOUTUBE]K-ZA7NLSRhg[/YOUTUBE]

So OBP and Apollyon, how is it? I heard that even if you play single-player you still have to be online.. I found that rather strange... is it fun nonetheless?

Nardo

So OBP and Apollyon, how is it? I heard that even if you play single-player you still have to be online.. I found that rather strange... is it fun nonetheless?

Nardo

Yes, but that was true for Starcraft 2. Maybe there is a way around it? I think you can go off-line once you log-in to Battle.net but I'm no expert.

Must buy two button mouse for old iMac I'm using for it....

It did take a LONG time to load up on my computer.

Otherwise so far so good. Endless options for play - will take a while to get used to.

Also, post-call so I may get tired by the middle of the night. :smuggrin:

OK, I have some questions. As OBP knows the level of my gamer-ness extends only to what I can play on my phone. I may rock the Angry Birds, but that's about as much gamer cred as I've got:p. Interstingly, my wife, who last year got into a MMO(?) game that was more text and message board based has been thinking that she might like it if we both got into a game like this as an activity to do together. I sorta get the aspect of going on adventures and building character strengths (though, going back to NES days I've never been good at games like that) and treasure and whatnot, but what about the social aspect of it? That's what my wife previously enjoyed about that other game, though she eventually got bored of it (the game play has obvious limits). Do you guys find other groups to do it together with (I guess like the guilds of WoW)? Do you keep going over time? That is, for those that were into StarCraft II, are you still playing it and going on adventures? Or do you eventually get bored and move onto to some other game (obviously, I know that that is subjective). Just curious. I don't know how much I'd get into it (the social aspect of it is less of an appeal to me) and I worry that if I did commit to it, it would be a guilty pleasure time-suck which wouldn't be such a great thing as I approach having to take my boards and still feel guilty when I'm not reading specialty-related stuff. Just pinging the experts here for some thoughts.

Level 10 Barbarian. Okay, I can rest for a brief while.

I thought I wouldn't get tired of Starcraft. I was wrong.

Diablo 3 has a lot of single player options, but I'll get tired after I've done a couple of characters. Not sure if I'll try for the higher levels of difficulty.

I wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I, too, am playing Diablo III, or at least trying to play it when I get free time. I went for the download right on release day. I'm still on the second act of Normal, so a long way to go still, but my Barbarian is a lot of fun. This is my first time playing a Diablo game, and I like it so far.

Rumor has it that the higher difficulty levels weren't particularly well-designed, and getting through some of the elite packs depends more on luck or avoidance than skill. I figure by the time I get there some of that will be fixed (I hope).

Not gonna lie. I'm pretty disappointed in this game. I only played a little bit of Diablo 1 before and got caught up in all the hype surrounding this game.

Going through Nightmare mode right now with a lvl 33 DH. Didn't particularly enjoy the story (there was one interesting/surprising twist though) and I didn't expect the gameplay to be so mind-numbingly boring. There were 3 or 4 boss fights that I did think were well-designed and challenging though; those were a blast! I've gotten spoiled by RPGs like The Witcher, DA:O, etc, I think. Ah well. The best part was getting to play it with friends (though the DRM absolutely sucks). :)

Nardo

I had a few other things to do, so just loaded it last night (or, early in the morning). I have played Diablo and Diablo II into submission.

I am playing a barbarian. Leveled to 15 through Act I. I, personally, am liking it. There's something visceral and fun about the barbarian "smushing" all comers.

I have my DSL here in HI, so I don't have network issues. Although you do have to be online, it didn't affect my gaming.

OK, I've played through Acts I and II so far, but, when I got to the big boss, I didn't realize it, and, halfway through, I am saying "really"? Act I was rich with content, but it is quickly thinning out.

When I did Diablo and Diablo II, it took me a while to get through. Here, I'm 2 days in, and I'm half done. At the same time, if they have the same idea and still randomly generate maps, then there will be replayability (such as the quests that were available in Diablo - if you got one, you didn't get another). My barb is level 25 now (or is it 26?), so that is going well.

Mine is coming today!!

Yes I know this is off-topic, but I figured most of you wouldn't believe that I was a gamer or that pediatricians played Diablo:smuggrin:

Mostly a solo gamer, can't handle the rough on-line action at my age.:p.

Who else is getting Diablo 3 this week after waiting a mere 4 years for it ?

I'll probably remove this thread after I'm infracted for it.....

Edit: Didn't come today - promised for tomorrow. Bummer, but I'll live. Maybe.

Bought mine yesterday. Cool stuff, love it! :laugh:

Act 2, Level 16 Barbarian. Critically ill newborns keep getting in the way of my D3 time.:mad:

Has anyone played anything other than the Barbarian - what is the best to do next?

I'm level 31 barb now in Act 3! This seems to be a little longer than Act 2 was.

A guy I know is running a witch doctor and a demon hunter. However, he just went on vacation. I don't have updates.

Act 2, Level 16 Barbarian. Critically ill newborns keep getting in the way of my D3 time.:mad:

Has anyone played anything other than the Barbarian - what is the best to do next?
Demon Hunter is very fun to play, especially once you get Twin Chakrams (around lvl 18ish, IIRC). That's what I've been doing. With some minimal amount of spending on AH items (probably spent less than 25k gold), my DH is ridiculously OP. Only going through Nightmare mode right now though, so I don't know how the gear will hold up in Hell mode.

My barb is now level 36, still in Act I of nightmare. NM seems, to me, to be a bit more "hack and slashy".

At the same time, the game says I've played 80 hours or so, but about half of that has been "windowed" (when I left it running but wasn't playing). At least that kept some kid from ruining his life because he couldn't log on in my place.

I'm a 53 Wizard on Hell Mode right now. The game is easy mode until Diablo fight and Nightmare mode, then its unreasonably high hp mobs (the same exact mobs which you fought in Normal) and mindless clicking and character placements. Its like discovering dance steps and using it to defeat elites and bosses.

If you want to know more about anything let me know.

The best tip I've found so far is if you encounter a monster with the "vampire" attribute, dismiss your follower, because they don't have the sense to get out of the way, and the vampiric monsters will constantly re-up their hit points off the follower. Once the follower is gone, you can do your "hit and run", or whichever is your character's thing, to chip away until you beat the monsters. Then, you can go back to Tristram and re-hire your follower.

Just beat the game in Normal yesterday. Had some trouble with Izual at first, but ultimately ended up mostly just kiting him around the place, especially when the adds were up. Kind of an annoying way to do a boss fight, but since Frenzy annihilated all the previous ones, I guess I can't complain too much.

Just beat the game in Normal yesterday. Had some trouble with Izual at first, but ultimately ended up mostly just kiting him around the place, especially when the adds were up. Kind of an annoying way to do a boss fight, but since Frenzy annihilated all the previous ones, I guess I can't complain too much.

Unless you like irrationally hard mobs and meaningless farming, that's what the future is like. I'm halfway through Hell and its come to a point where there is no point or strategy its just lucky kiting.

Edit: Just read you were Barbarian; the above is my opinion on Wizard at level 53, I'm about 90% uninterested in playing.

So, I'm a bit slow, been working a lot (lame excuse), but I just finally beat Diablo with a Level 31 Barbarian on Normal Difficulty. I think I'll try the Demon Hunter as a new character and gradually work my way through Nightmare with the Barbarian.

There should be a special achievement for being over age 50 (well over) when beating Diablo at any difficulty. Just sayin'...:smuggrin:

So, I'm a bit slow, been working a lot (lame excuse), but I just finally beat Diablo with a Level 31 Barbarian on Normal Difficulty. I think I'll try the Demon Hunter as a new character and gradually work my way through Nightmare with the Barbarian.

There should be a special achievement for being over age 50 (well over) when beating Diablo at any difficulty. Just sayin'...:smuggrin:

There is an achievement for getting to level 60 with two separate barbarians. I guess an achievement for getting through AT age 60 would be good (yeah, I know - not there yet).

My copy is packed away in transit, so I'm taking a forced break. Still, I have my copy of StarCraft II, if I start to jones...

I saw this but didn't understand it. What exactly do you do with two barbarians??

Serially, not in parallel. That is, go through it with one, then go through it again with another. (And if you were thinking of something else, I would say, "You naughty boy!", but, instead, you get "dirty old man!")

Serially, not in parallel. That is, go through it with one, then go through it again with another. (And if you were thinking of something else, I would say, "You naughty boy!", but, instead, you get "dirty old man!")

Nah, I was strictly G-rated in this one. Doesn't sound like fun to do the same thing twice at the same normal level though. I think I'd rather do Nightmare and also try some of the other characters.

Nah, I was strictly G-rated in this one. Doesn't sound like fun to do the same thing twice at the same normal level though. I think I'd rather do Nightmare and also try some of the other characters.

I was thinking similarly - it has been hard enough to get to level 45 with one - then two? Really?