Diagnostic kit costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D

deleted1011568

Hi everyone,
I’m a prospective student and have applied this cycle (first interview soon!). I am trying to get a head start on planning for OD school materials and am wondering how much other students have paid for their diagnostic kits recently.
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I bought everything from our bookstore suppliers. I didn't know much about what equipment we'll be needing or if I can purchase used ones from previous students. During orientation week a bunch of salespeople came in and bombarded us with presentations on why we should buy their kits. And then we had to submit our order form LITERALLY THE NEXT DAY. We paid once it was shipped in, so around this month.

Ophthalmoscope Set: Purchased Keeler (options were Keeler, Welch Allyn, and Heine) cost ~$1000

Trial Lens Set: Purchased Pioneer (options were Pioneer and S&L) cost ~$600

And then for our Clinic Lab, we needed to purchase some equipment (like SOSH charts, Ishihara, PD Ruler, etc.) and the total came out to be about $600.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
You get a student discount ordering through your school and if you buy new they can often give you further discounts for your future purchases. The other benefit to buying new is that everything is repaired/replaced for free if it breaks while you are still in school under their warranty.
You can buy used, but if anything happens to the equipment then you may have to buy new anyway. In total it will be about $5-6K for everything, if I remember correctly.