"Diagnostic" Practice tests- Bad for Moarale???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TGibson81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started today with a "diagnostic" practice exam.

I took the free (CBT-3) MCAT practice exam on the AAMC website and the results are giving me mixed emotions...

I got a composite scaled score of 22( 6PS, 10VR, 6BS). I realize this is far inferior to any score I would need to have a competitive chance at getting in anywhere, however I also realize it is my first attempt and without any serious preparation. So I am being optimistic.

What do think, realistically, the chances are that with enough preparation that I could potentially increase my scores enough to break a 35 or higher? I mean, is anyone aware of any data that says scores typically range within a certain window and rarely increase, even with exceptional prep work?

Another positive point I think- I scored a 10 on VR off the bat, which gives me hope that there is hope for excellence in that section with enough practice. It seems that the average student has the most difficult time with the VR section but I have always scored well in areas like this which makes me feel like I just need to solidify some science facts in order to really "rock" this MCAT.

I am beginning a 10 week study plan using EK and Kaplan materials today. is there any chance I can actually improve enough??

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, the PS and BS can be easily raised by just reading a review book. It seems like your 6's are more due to content gaps than anything else. Have you taken all the pre-req science classes??

As discussed in many other threads and like you said, the verbal score is much more difficult to raise, but you already are at the 10 level so congrats. I'm pretty confident you can raise your science scores to at least 10-12 if you just learn the material. GOOD LUCK!

I started today with a "diagnostic" practice exam.

I took the free (CBT-3) MCAT practice exam on the AAMC website and the results are giving me mixed emotions...

I got a composite scaled score of 22( 6PS, 10VR, 6BS). I realize this is far inferior to any score I would need to have a competitive chance at getting in anywhere, however I also realize it is my first attempt and without any serious preparation. So I am being optimistic.

What do think, realistically, the chances are that with enough preparation that I could potentially increase my scores enough to break a 35 or higher? I mean, is anyone aware of any data that says scores typically range within a certain window and rarely increase, even with exceptional prep work?

Another positive point I think- I scored a 10 on VR off the bat, which gives me hope that there is hope for excellence in that section with enough practice. It seems that the average student has the most difficult time with the VR section but I have always scored well in areas like this which makes me feel like I just need to solidify some science facts in order to really "rock" this MCAT.

I am beginning a 10 week study plan using EK and Kaplan materials today. is there any chance I can actually improve enough??

Not to sound like an ass hole but there are AT LEAST a hundred threads discussing "diagnostics", "morale" and the "hope/chances/techniques of improving" after a diagnostic exam. Save others time and most importantly yourself by going through a couple of those threads. Good luck and your diagnostic score is pretty descent nothing to panic about. I scored a couple points below you but am scoring 30s on the practice exams. Again like I said this topic is getting real old every other person posts about the diagnostic and feels helpless. Once you are done with all your pre-reqs and content review then we can further help you with any issues.

Last edited: