Diagnostic Versus Actual Step 1 Score-- Worried!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enantio1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I took the free USMLE practice exam online (diagnostic) and scored extremely low (about 50% questions correct). I haven't started intensely studying for the Step 1 so am not sure how much my score would increase after dedicated studying. I would like to mention that I have to remediate a few courses. Given such a low diagnostic score, I'm worried that I wouldn't actually pass Step 1. Among those of you who took Step 1, how much of a difference did you observe between your diagnostic score and your actual USMLE score? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, merry christmas! It depends on how much time you gonna dedicate for it. The longer the better. However, the exam is not that hard to pass. If you want to ace the test then you need a serious study program for your improvement that may take even a year or so to catch it. Good luck with your studies!

Hey everyone. I took the free USMLE practice exam online (diagnostic) and scored extremely low (about 50% questions correct). I haven't started intensely studying for the Step 1 so am not sure how much my score would increase after dedicated studying. I would like to mention that I have to remediate a few courses. Given such a low diagnostic score, I'm worried that I wouldn't actually pass Step 1. Among those of you who took Step 1, how much of a difference did you observe between your diagnostic score and your actual USMLE score? Thanks in advance!
This thread has all the information you need.

It's tough to correlate the % correct to the three digit score you will get...i did a bunch of Uworld and NBME practice tests and my percent correct varied widely from 60s-80s but despite those %s, my 3 digit scores were consistently high and were very predictive of my actual score. Also, there is a different NBME practice exam called the CBSSA that gives you a prediction whether you will pass or not.