diaper rash treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmedd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
What do you/your pharmacists recommend for OTC treatments of diaper rash? I've also seen conflicting information on whether you can apply OTC ointments/creams to broken skin. Any info you guys can pass along would be great.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Please remember that the terms of service you agreed to upon joining specify that the site is not to be used for personal medical advice.

If that is not the purpose of this thread, please clarify. Otherwise, it will need to be closed.

bananaface said:
Please remember that the terms of service you agreed to upon joining specify that the site is not to be used for personal medical advice.

If that is not the purpose of this thread, please clarify. Otherwise, it will need to be closed.

Sorry, I am doing a pharmacy internship this summer, and I need to do a presentation on a given OTC project (I chose diaper rash). I would just like to get an idea of which products pharmacists specifically recommend of those that are out there.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a pharmacy intern, I usually recommend DESITIN or zinc oxide.

Not in pharmacy school yet, but as a mother, I've had success with the following:

1. General reddish diaper rash (no bumps) - any of the Desitins, Balmex, whatever.

2. Yeast rash (bumps) - Lotrimin or prescription Nystatin

3. Rash along with diarrhea (the worst) - Vaseline

Actually, Vaseline or Petroleum jelly works fine most of the time. Not for yeast rash though. As far as the brands, I actually like the cheapo stuff from the Dollar Store.

Oh yeah, if the skin is broken I use some Neosporin type thing on the open areas.

This is the outcome of getting advice from my pharmacist, from our PedsMD and from experimenting on my baby's booty!

rmedd said:
Sorry, I am doing a pharmacy internship this summer, and I need to do a presentation on a given OTC project (I chose diaper rash). I would just like to get an idea of which products pharmacists specifically recommend of those that are out there.

thanks!
Thanks for the clarification :)

- Anna

Tell the lazy arse baby momma that diaper should be changed as soon as it's been used. And keep the baby clean...and dry. :smuggrin:

ZpackSux said:
Tell the lazy arse baby momma that diaper should be changed as soon as it's been used. And keep the baby clean...and dry. :smuggrin:

Heh, heh - this baby momma tries to keep it clean but sometimes the baby daddies and others don't cooperate!

But the biggest problem I have is with my hubby's mother. She babysits, but never changes the diaper. Once I got home from class and could immediately tell my daughter's diaper was overextended because it was saggin' low! When I picked the baby up, the diaper was so heavy it fell off! :wow:

I really hate diapers...

desitin is good stuff..i had forgotten about it until i read this thread but now I can remember the tube and the funny odor

it was very calming to the skin

a lot of physicians in my area prescribed 'Dr. Smith's Baby Cream/Ointment' . Medicaid pays for it but it's also OTC in baby aisle.

So I would recommend that.