Dictation systems for multiple transcriptionists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmz

Pathology Wannabe
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in setting up a dictation system that records and upload dictations (industry-standard audio files) via FTP to different transcription services? My group manages multiple hospitals from different hospital systems and I am just looking for a nice way to streamline all of this...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience in setting up a dictation system that records and upload dictations (industry-standard audio files) via FTP to different transcription services? My group manages multiple hospitals from different hospital systems and I am just looking for a nice way to streamline all of this...

Any web based dictation system will fit the bill. Dragon has a system called Nuance that I use, but I have used other ones previously. Usually all the same and all you need is web connectivity.

Thanks. I am just trying to figure out a way for my PAs to use one system but at a flip of a switch send their dictations to Transcription service A or service B. Ideally, if I had full control and all hospitals outsourced to my lab I could do this under one transcription system... it looks like having duplicate DACs set up would be the easiest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I am just trying to figure out a way for my PAs to use one system but at a flip of a switch send their dictations to Transcription service A or service B. Ideally, if I had full control and all hospitals outsourced to my lab I could do this under one transcription system... it looks like having duplicate DACs set up would be the easiest.

Through Nuance you can literally direct transcriptions down any preset path. Why not just have 1 transcription service now? If you are using a different service for non-hospital cases why not cut a deal with the hospital to just use their in house service for some fee to save the headache?

It's two totally different hospital corps... they do things differently with different vendors, etc. Too sticky.

Any possibility of having your PAs and/or pathologists switch to using voice recognition software and eliminating the need for transcriptionists altogether? I wasn't here for the changeover at my current group (which I heard was painful, as most major changes are), but our current system is incredibly efficient. PAs all use roughly synoptic format gross description templates for common specimen types, so all they have to do is fill in sizes/measurements and brief descriptions - also makes the grosses really quick and easy to read. We all use Dragon to generate our reports as well with varying degrees of automation and voice command macros (can autogenerate the specimen designations/headers for most derm, GI, prostate biopsies, etc; we have lots of macros for frequently used diagnoses and/or canned comments, synoptics, etc. as well as to do things like document intradepartmental peer reviews, open the EMR and look up the current patient, call the ordering physician, put various notes into the case, etc.).

I suppose it might not be worth it if you already have an arrangement with those hospital system clients to provide you with transcription services at no cost to you. Can also be a bit difficult if you have pathologist(s) in your group who struggle with reviewing their own reports for voice recognition errors/typos and previously relied heavily on transcription staff to do that for them.

We use Fluency - it has the capabilities that you mentioned.

We started using Fluency Direct about 3.5 years ago. It is good but I have not seen these features.
I am due for an update. Pathology was brand new when purchased, the system stock vocabulary was poor.
We bought it because Dragon does dictate directly into apps via a remote desktop.
Our AP system is owned by us not the hospital and the server is at separate location in the path lab.
I would to like share notes on your implementation of Fluency offline.