Did Anyone Actually Do This? (Academic Load)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This question is clearly moot at this point but I'm curious so I'll ask.

Looking over some of the dental school's websites that I applied to, some of them say something along the lines of: We recommend that applicants carry a full academic load (15-16 credits hours) per semester and suggest taking a minimum of 3-4 science courses each term.

My AADSAS GPA Calculations page excludes seminars and Pass/No Pass classes so my units in some semesters get cut down a couple units. It says that during the regular school year (Fall and Spring) I've got mostly 13-15 semester units, with 2 semesters with 11 and 12 units. In the 2 Summer sessions, I've got 3 and 4 units which makes the whole thing look on the skimpy side.

Added to the fact that I've been averaging 2 science classes per semester (not including labs)...I'm starting to feel like my "Academic Load" is sub-par. Did most of you guys really take 3-4 science classes (not counting lecture/lab separately) per semester?

Members don't see this ad.

term = academic year.

So 2 science classes per semester for a year = 4 science classes per term.

Members don't see this ad :)
At first I thought Damn I wrote all that out for nothing :slap:, but wikipedia says that it means semester or quarter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_term

This is how I always understood the term. :laugh:

I took 3 science/math classes last semester. 4 if you count the neuro class I was taking in the psych department (which really should count, because it was taught like a science class, but technically doesn't).

Hey Guys,

This question is clearly moot at this point but I'm curious so I'll ask.

Looking over some of the dental school's websites that I applied to, some of them say something along the lines of: We recommend that applicants carry a full academic load (15-16 credits hours) per semester and suggest taking a minimum of 3-4 science courses each term.

My AADSAS GPA Calculations page excludes seminars and Pass/No Pass classes so my units in some semesters get cut down a couple units. It says that during the regular school year (Fall and Spring) I've got mostly 13-15 semester units, with 2 semesters with 11 and 12 units. In the 2 Summer sessions, I've got 3 and 4 units which makes the whole thing look on the skimpy side.

Added to the fact that I've been averaging 2 science classes per semester (not including labs)...I'm starting to feel like my "Academic Load" is sub-par. Did most of you guys really take 3-4 science classes (not counting lecture/lab separately) per semester?

yes.. 17 units each semester for me. About 3 science classes per semester. 4 last semester- I'm a science major

At first I thought Damn I wrote all that out for nothing :slap:, but wikipedia says that it means semester or quarter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_term

My mistake then. I'm having a hard time believing that non-science majors would be able to take 3-4 science classes per semester while still managing to meet the requirements for their own major.

I'm having a hard time believing that non-science majors would be able to take 3-4 science classes per semester while still managing to meet the requirements for their own major.

Agreed. I hope adcoms recognize this.

I've taken 24 credits in one semester with 4 science classes.... And I'm an art major. It can be done haha. It's hell, but it can be done...

I'm expecting that they will recognize a terms vs semesters.

But as for taking a heaver load, it really does matter. I've heard it straight from the mouth of the dean, they do look for students that can handle a load comparable to dental schools loads, meaning tons of classes!

But as for taking a heaver load, it really does matter. I've heard it straight from the mouth of the dean, they do look for students that can handle a load comparable to dental schools loads, meaning tons of classes!

That's what confuses me. I hear that course load is valued highly but d-schools also look for well-rounded applicants. It seems like undergrad would become ridiculously stressing if one had to manage a heavy course load with clinical experience, research, volunteering, etc.

How much do they weigh part-time work (even if you didn't emphasis it on your application)?

To answer your question, yes I did take 3 or more science classes a semester, but then again im a science major. Adcoms value a heavy course load because they can better evaluate how well you can handle the rigors of dental/med school.

To answer your question, yes I did take 3 or more science classes a semester, but then again im a science major. Adcoms value a heavy course load because they can better evaluate how well you can handle the rigors of dental/med school.

Out of curiosity, does "3 or more science classes" refer specifically to upper division classes or can they be lower division?

I'm going to be a 3rd year bio major and I've been taking around 3 science classes per semester too. However, apart from the pre-reqs, they've all been lower division science courses from different departments. Does this look weak?

This might be a stupid question but under "GPAs Per School" for my undergrad institution, AADSAS has 86.71 'hours'. Does this just mean like science credit hours or something? Because I have 135 credits from my school total...we are on the quarter system if it makes any difference.

Out of curiosity, does "3 or more science classes" refer specifically to upper division classes or can they be lower division?

I'm going to be a 3rd year bio major and I've been taking around 3 science classes per semester too. However, apart from the pre-reqs, they've all been lower division science courses from different departments. Does this look weak?

Many students don't hit the UD sciences until junior year or at most, only take a couple as a freshman/sophomore unless they AP'd out of the intro classes. It doesn't look weak at all as long as you're planning on taking some UD classes now.

This might be a stupid question but under "GPAs Per School" for my undergrad institution, AADSAS has 86.71 'hours'. Does this just mean like science credit hours or something? Because I have 135 credits from my school total...we are on the quarter system if it makes any difference.

They could possibly be converting your quarter hours into semester hours.

They could possibly be converting your quarter hours into semester hours.

I called them and they said that those were the credit hours that were 'condensed' down to just science courses that d-schools wanted to see, and that they still would see the rest of my transcript...bizarre...I do not enjoy calling customer service!

I wouldn't think it would matter. Though, for science majors, in your junior and senior years, you end up taking multiple upper division courses out of necessity anyway.

Yes. I typically take 18-22 credit hours. The most science/math classes I've taken at one time is 5. I have no idea how someone who was not a science major would fit that in though most were required for my major/minors and had nothing to do with prereqs.

I don't think it looks weak. You're were only in your 2nd year so no big deal. Now that you are in your 3rd year it would probably be better to get some upper level courses in there.

Do what you can handle in order to get straight A's. The name of the game is GPA + DAT. The reason why Dental Schools preferably want higher units is because in Dental School you will be literally taking 20+ HARD science units a term.

However, most people in Dental School end up getting 1-2 C's, mostly B's and 1-2 A's per dental school term due to the 20+ HARD science units. Obviously, if you got this in Undergrad- it's commendable (especially with straight A's) but the risk outweighs the reward. Most likely you will end up with straight B's or mostly C's and totally destroy your GPA. There goes your shot at Dental School. Plus, there goes your social life.

Depends on your major too... its difficult for a non-science major to take more than 2 science courses per semester/quarter and still maintain progress in their major. I usually did 2 science and 2 non science courses per quarter in addition to a few extracurriculars.. .