Did anyone else think COMLEX Level 2 CE was joke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inquiringmind24

"The fact man"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the COMLEX Level 2 CE yesterday and pretty much felt insulted after taking it. The questions were extremely vague and poorly written. I didn't feel that it was even a fair assessment of my medical knowledge. There were questions on kid's car seats for crying out loud! The images were garbage as well. On so many questions there was simply not enough information to make the distinction between two possible diagnoses. Actually on quite a few questions all they gave was one sentence. And don't forget about all of the spelling errors...

After all of that studying and doing well-written and thought provoking USMLEWorld questions, this test seemed to me like a total sham. I'm just glad that I'll be taking the real Step 2 in a couple of days so all of this studying and preparation wasn't for nothing.

I really think the NBOME needs to take a second look at the quality of their board exams. Either they need to improve them big time or just have students take the USMLE steps and then give a separate OMM board exam. If anyone had taken this exam recently and wants to share their thoughts please do.

Okay I'll quit complaining and if it's any consilation, I don't think any students would have to worry about failing this test.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I was wondering what is UW?? If anyone can give me a good advice how to approach Comlex 2. I just started 3rd year and when I took Comlex 1 I decided not to study for it. I still passed to my amusement, but I know that there is no way I will be that lucky second time around, so please what is UW? I need to score better on second and not just pass

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I was wondering what is UW?? If anyone can give me a good advice how to approach Comlex 2. I just started 3rd year and when I took Comlex 1 I decided not to study for it. I still passed to my amusement, but I know that there is no way I will be that lucky second time around, so please what is UW? I need to score better on second and not just pass

As far as approaching COMLEX Step 2, I would try to learn as much as you can during your core rotations, especially diagnosis and treatment (especially which diagnostic imaging/labs are preferred). At my school, we didn't take the actual NBME shelf exams, so there wasn't a lot of pressure to study really hard during the year but make sure to keep up. I recommend finding a good review book for each rotation (whether that is buying it or borrowing it or checking it out from a library). There's a thread on this if you do a search.

I honestly wouldn't spend much more than a month studying for Step 2. I definitely couldn't study as intensely as I did for Step 1. Once you get about a month away, I would start doing a question bank (either USMLE World or Combank are popular choices) and reading a review book. I used USMLE World and liked it, but the USMLE World ?s are better written & are more difficult than the actual COMLEX. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on which review book is best for Step 2....popular choices include USMLE Secrets, Crush, Boards & Wards, and FA. The last few days before Step 2, I would start reviewing OMT. I personally like Savarese (green OMT book). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What I did:

1. USMLE World
2. COMBANK
3. Secrets

USMLE is overkill for sure. However, it is a great learning tool. COMBANK was right on the money in my opinion and I think it will only improve. Secrets was a quick read and an easy book to use for CE. Study your OMM

Scores are not back yet but either way.

Anyone go back to FA for step 1 just for review or is that over kill? Anyone take COMSAE B and if so, how close was it to the actual exam because I did fairly well with 2 weeks to go. Thanks!

the only thing i reviewed from FA step 1 was the musculoskeletal/neuro where it talks about various fractures/nerve deficits ..i would recommend it...as for other stuff, maybe review some microbio..but cant really think of any other thing to re-look at

i took the test like 2 weeks ago, so dono how well i did

gluck im sure u'll be fine

Should I be worried that I finished the COMLEX- CE at 2:30? I felt like I didn't rush myself; the stems were all so short and seemingly trivia-like in their easiness, except for the fair amount of B.S. questions being batted around this forum, which I saw plenty of and just tried to make a good guess at. No latin, in fact I counted the # of medico-legal questions and came up with 7 total. Seemed like I had a lot of OMM.

I either failed miserably or did OK; finishing more than 2 hours early is distressing!

Alright so i have a 90th percentile score on usmle-1, i was wondering if i should take usmle-2 or just take comlex-2? I am only interested in general surgery and plan on applying to bunch of allopathic programs mostly middle tier which generally have a cutoff around 82nd percentile. But i am worried if comlex-2 will have any impact on my application if i don't take usmle-2. I personally had a hard time even understanding what the question meant on comlex-1 while no trouble with USMLE. So i don't want comlex-2 as a reflection of my knowledge...what you folks think who took usmle step1 but not step 2?

Alright so i have a 90th percentile score on usmle-1, i was wondering if i should take usmle-2 or just take comlex-2? I am only interested in general surgery and plan on applying to bunch of allopathic programs mostly middle tier which generally have a cutoff around 82nd percentile. But i am worried if comlex-2 will have any impact on my application if i don't take usmle-2. I personally had a hard time even understanding what the question meant on comlex-1 while no trouble with USMLE. So i don't want comlex-2 as a reflection of my knowledge...what you folks think who took usmle step1 but not step 2?

Can you clarify alittle bit? Do you mean a 2 digit score of 82 or an actual calculated percentile of 82? Because 82nd percentile is awfully high for mid-tear GS programs as a cutoff. If you are only doing allopathic, you should seriously consider taking USMLE Step 2. You'll be surprised by the number of allopathic programs who require the USMLE (both step 1 and 2).

Can you clarify alittle bit? Do you mean a 2 digit score of 82 or an actual calculated percentile of 82? Because 82nd percentile is awfully high for mid-tear GS programs as a cutoff. If you are only doing allopathic, you should seriously consider taking USMLE Step 2. You'll be surprised by the number of allopathic programs who require the USMLE (both step 1 and 2).

Yea i meant the 2 digit score, also i am not sure if i would avoid AOA match. But even if i do rank AOA it would be a few good gen.surgery programs. However, my usmle-1 score is better than my comlex and some of the programs i am interested in happen to be allopathic. So i am trying to decide how to study for step-2, i know that i would have to have a completely different mentality if i am going to take the usmle-2 exam. After reading through some of the posts i get the impression that material geared for usmle doesn't quite translate on comlex-2, so i was wondering if i just did the comlex-2 and managed a decent score, would allopathic programs even bother looking at my comlex-2 score? I much rather let my step-1 score do the talking along with shelf scores, letters etc.

Yea i meant the 2 digit score, also i am not sure if i would avoid AOA match. But even if i do rank AOA it would be a few good gen.surgery programs. However, my usmle-1 score is better than my comlex and some of the programs i am interested in happen to be allopathic. So i am trying to decide how to study for step-2, i know that i would have to have a completely different mentality if i am going to take the usmle-2 exam. After reading through some of the posts i get the impression that material geared for usmle doesn't quite translate on comlex-2, so i was wondering if i just did the comlex-2 and managed a decent score, would allopathic programs even bother looking at my comlex-2 score? I much rather let my step-1 score do the talking along with shelf scores, letters etc.

I would talk to the individual program separately. I know it's a hassle but it may save you a bunch of time in the long run. Some PDs have no idea what the score means except for the passing (400) and avg (~500). Make sure that there has been a DO who got accepted based on their COMLEX scores too. I think you do have the edge because you have a step 1 USMLE score.

As far as doing better on the USMLE vs COMLEX, they are scored differently so you may be surpised to find out that you did better on the COMLEX than the USMLE. For example, average on the COMLEX is a 500/80 (I think - I am not certain of the 2 digit score but it's either 80 or low 80s). However average on USMLE Step 2 is a 226/93ish. So the 2 digits between the two tests mean totally different things. If you scored above a 500 on your COMLEX, I'd say you did fairly well so don't worry about your COMLEX score being lower than you think.

If you have any other questions let me know. I did a lot of research before I took the USMLE step 2. I decided that even though I am going into IM, I wanted the programs to have an actual score to compare me to other candidates. My 523 COMLEX 1 may mean nothing to them especially since the 2 digit is an 84. If there is a program that soley goes by 2 digit scores (84 would be equal to around a 205 USMLE), I would be screwed (and I think that's what you are thinking right?).

If you decide to take the USMLE do UW, it will help you out big time. Only bad thing is, you wont be able to report your score until Oct even if you took it today, so I'd say if you are taking it, take it ASAP.

Good luck! Hope you can match into a great program :thumbup:

I would talk to the individual program separately. I know it's a hassle but it may save you a bunch of time in the long run. Some PDs have no idea what the score means except for the passing (400) and avg (~500). Make sure that there has been a DO who got accepted based on their COMLEX scores too. I think you do have the edge because you have a step 1 USMLE score.

As far as doing better on the USMLE vs COMLEX, they are scored differently so you may be surpised to find out that you did better on the COMLEX than the USMLE. For example, average on the COMLEX is a 500/80 (I think - I am not certain of the 2 digit score but it's either 80 or low 80s). However average on USMLE Step 2 is a 226/93ish. So the 2 digits between the two tests mean totally different things. If you scored above a 500 on your COMLEX, I'd say you did fairly well so don't worry about your COMLEX score being lower than you think.

If you have any other questions let me know. I did a lot of research before I took the USMLE step 2. I decided that even though I am going into IM, I wanted the programs to have an actual score to compare me to other candidates. My 523 COMLEX 1 may mean nothing to them especially since the 2 digit is an 84. If there is a program that soley goes by 2 digit scores (84 would be equal to around a 205 USMLE), I would be screwed (and I think that's what you are thinking right?).

If you decide to take the USMLE do UW, it will help you out big time. Only bad thing is, you wont be able to report your score until Oct even if you took it today, so I'd say if you are taking it, take it ASAP.

Good luck! Hope you can match into a great program :thumbup:

Thanx buddy, you made some valuable points. I will make up my mind on whether or not i need the usmle-2 score after talking to the PD's as you suggested. Alright i will let you know if something comes up, thanx again!

Should I be worried that I finished the COMLEX- CE at 2:30? I felt like I didn't rush myself; the stems were all so short and seemingly trivia-like in their easiness, except for the fair amount of B.S. questions being batted around this forum, which I saw plenty of and just tried to make a good guess at. No latin, in fact I counted the # of medico-legal questions and came up with 7 total. Seemed like I had a lot of OMM.

I either failed miserably or did OK; finishing more than 2 hours early is distressing!

Didn't get an e-mail or anything. I felt the same way as you did, and I lost 4/65 points compared to Level 1. I'm so glad I'm doing allopathic... USMLE was hard but at least I knew there *was* an answer somewhere in the stem...

Good luck!

I really didn't like the vagueness of the exam either. I thought I failed it for sure when I walked out of the test. For some reason I scored much higher on Step 2 (618) than on Step 1 (523). Only explaination is - a day of good guessing. Anyway I'm going allopathic as well. I didn't wait around for my COMLEX 2 scores. I submitted my apps as soon as my USMLE 2 came out.

If anyone cares to know what I did for studying, I didn't do any COMBANK or COMSAE. I focused only on the USMLE World and 1/2 day of that green OMM review book.

G-luck guys!

I just wanted to say that I use cranial on COMLEX PE -I felt silly, I probably looked sily - but I knew it would make me pass that portion, because the physician graders love that stuff.

Anyone take the step 2 comlex test recently? Any subjects represented more than others? No biostats? thanks.

Just happened to see this post...took COMSAE last week and saw the question about kids car seats. lol...

Anyone take the step 2 comlex test recently? Any subjects represented more than others? No biostats? thanks.

It was actually pretty light on the biostats... Probably had about 5 statistics questions and maybe 5 ethics questions so combined about 10 ethics/stats.

Otherwise, I had a fair number of pediatrics, Ob/Gyn, OMM, OMM, OMM, and light on cardio and respiratory. Again, I think it changes from test to test. OMM was literally 1/3 of my test. When do you take it?

Is Saverese enough for the OMM or is it obscure **** that is impossible to prepare for?

Also, if it's obscure **** impossible to study for, has anyone noticed a general trend in those questions? We keep hearing about car seat guidelines. Are there more obscure guidelines, or anymore examples of question themes without actually reproducing the question?