Did anyone else think COMLEX Level 2 CE was joke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inquiringmind24

"The fact man"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the COMLEX Level 2 CE yesterday and pretty much felt insulted after taking it. The questions were extremely vague and poorly written. I didn't feel that it was even a fair assessment of my medical knowledge. There were questions on kid's car seats for crying out loud! The images were garbage as well. On so many questions there was simply not enough information to make the distinction between two possible diagnoses. Actually on quite a few questions all they gave was one sentence. And don't forget about all of the spelling errors...

After all of that studying and doing well-written and thought provoking USMLEWorld questions, this test seemed to me like a total sham. I'm just glad that I'll be taking the real Step 2 in a couple of days so all of this studying and preparation wasn't for nothing.

I really think the NBOME needs to take a second look at the quality of their board exams. Either they need to improve them big time or just have students take the USMLE steps and then give a separate OMM board exam. If anyone had taken this exam recently and wants to share their thoughts please do.

Okay I'll quit complaining and if it's any consilation, I don't think any students would have to worry about failing this test.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay I'll quit complaining and if it's any consilation, I don't think any students would have to worry about failing this test.

Sadly enough, there are people who DO fail COMLEX exams. Look at the COMLEX/USMLE threads... plenty of people fail them, sometimes multiple times.

If you think the CE was a joke and an insult, just wait until you pay 1000 bucks plus travel and lodging for the PE exam in a few months. You'll really be sick, then.

Let's say you were only interested in applying to Allopathic programs, and you've already taken step 1 of the USMLE and COMLEX. Would you still need to take step 2 of the COMLEX, or would step 2 of the USMLE suffice? Is it a degree requirement at DO schools to complete comlex step 1 and 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's say you were only interested in applying to Allopathic programs, and you've already taken step 1 of the USMLE and COMLEX. Would you still need to take step 2 of the COMLEX, or would step 2 of the USMLE suffice? Is it a degree requirement at DO schools to complete comlex step 1 and 2?

I don't know of any school that doesn't have passing comlex 2 as a requirement for graduation. You hear stories every year about people who put off one part of comlex 2 until the end, failed, and weren't able to graduate.

I can't speak for all the schools, but I know my med school required COMLEX 1 and 2 for graduation...

All DO schools require passing COMLEX 1, COMLEX 2 (CE and PE) as graduation requirement (since that stipulation is now required for DO schools to be accredited by the AOA).

You need to take Step 2 of the Comlex to graduate. The advantage to taking Step 2 of the USMLE - in addition to being competitive in your residency app - is that once you graduate, you then can completely avoid Step 3 of the Comlex and take USMLE 3 exclusively.

You need to take Step 2 of the Comlex to graduate. The advantage to taking Step 2 of the USMLE - in addition to being competitive in your residency app - is that once you graduate, you then can completely avoid Step 3 of the Comlex and take USMLE 3 exclusively.

I was under the impression that to be licensed in certain states which have "separate but equal" medical licensing boards, you had to be licensed by the osteopathic one and that means taking COMLEX 3. Am I wrong?

I was under the impression that to be licensed in certain states which have "separate but equal" medical licensing boards, you had to be licensed by the osteopathic one and that means taking COMLEX 3. Am I wrong?

You are correct. There are some states that will require all 3 series of COMLEX for licensure (and will not accept USMLE)

California
Florida
Michigan (for initial licensure) - will take USMLE for reciprocity
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee (for initial licensure) - will take USMLE for reciprocity only
Vermont
West Virginia