Did anyone's start date begin before med school graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marthasunny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

My residency start date is June 12, and my medical school graduation is June 30. (Due to a huge family emergency, I had to postpone my graduation date from May until June.) However, I am officially supposed to start seeing patients as a resident on June 26. I cannot be a resident if I haven't yet graduated. Have any of you graduated this late from medical school? Have any of you been kicked out of a residency program because of this? What's my best course of action at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Just contact your program now and tell them what is going on. Are you taking classes after June 12th, or is that just a late graduation date? If you are not taking classes at that time, you can probably start orientation. Then they can probably schedule you on a light month to start off with with a week of vacation the first week. That way your vacation could be June 26th - July 2nd, and then you can start seeing patients after this. I doubt a residency program would ever give you a hard time about this, especially if it is because of the circumstances of which you claim.

I hope you are not in my program..just kidding..no really..I hope you are not in my program! :D

marthasunny said:
Hi!

My residency start date is June 12, and my medical school graduation is June 30. (Due to a huge family emergency, I had to postpone my graduation date from May until June.) However, I am officially supposed to start seeing patients as a resident on June 26. I cannot be a resident if I haven't yet graduated. Have any of you graduated this late from medical school? Have any of you been kicked out of a residency program because of this? What's my best course of action at this point?
Are you sure you actually graduate on June 30th? Most schools have you graduating much earlier, and only walking later.

-The Trifling Jester

Hi! The school will write the program a note stating that I have fulfilled all of my graduation requirements by June 12, which is orientation day. However, the following analogy was used. The print machine at the medical school prints out only 2 different graduation dates on certificates: May or June 30. I guess it becomes a question of technicalities. Do I officially graduate based upon when my medical school says that I have fulfilled every requirement, or does my graduation date depend on the date written on the diploma? How does this affect my ability to see patients, participate in the residency program, relationship with the other residents, etc... Anyway, thank you for all who have responded to my cry for help, and please, keep the responses coming. I'm miserable.

marthasunny said:
Hi! The school will write the program a note stating that I have fulfilled all of my graduation requirements by June 12, which is orientation day. However, the following analogy was used. The print machine at the medical school prints out only 2 different graduation dates on certificates: May or June 30. I guess it becomes a question of technicalities. Do I officially graduate based upon when my medical school says that I have fulfilled every requirement, or does my graduation date depend on the date written on the diploma? How does this affect my ability to see patients, participate in the residency program, relationship with the other residents, etc... Anyway, thank you for all who have responded to my cry for help, and please, keep the responses coming. I'm miserable.

It actually depends on the date on your diploma. When you apply for your training license from whichever state you will be doing your residency in you will supply them with the date of your graduation and a copy of your diploma for your credentialing. Without your training license I am not sure your program will allow you to see patients.

Many people schedule their 4th year to finish months in advance of graduation. Because they have finished all requirements for graduation doesnt allow them to start residency early. Sorry but thats how I see it.

I think you should talk to your program director ASAP. They may allow you to simply use vacation time until you are credentialed or possibly a temporary training permit which would mean someone is supervising you directly(like a med student).

marthasunny said:
Hi!

Check with your dean of students and then the PD. I don't think it matters what is on the diploma but you will need a letter stating that you have "graduated." Some Universities only give diplomas out twice a year. Check it out and reply. I imagine you must meet all graduation requirements and have the letter by 6/26. Don't worry, find out the facts.

It seems like this person HAS completed all requirements but is just pushing graduation; therefore, delaying the date of walking. I dont think it would be a major problem.

Can someone give me some input on the following situation:

Residency start date 7/1/07. Will not finish requirements until 7/27/07. If admitted to that particular residency can a vacation for the first month be requested in order to finish off graduation? Or will this program kick me out?

need some advice.

thanks

Residency start date 7/1/07. Will not finish requirements until 7/27/07. If admitted to that particular residency can a vacation for the first month be requested in order to finish off graduation? Or will this program kick me out?

Your school should not have certified you for the match if you were not going to complete the requirements for graduation by June 30 (the OP is ok because the NRMP uses a July first start date for their rules). You can ask your PD if they are willing to make accomodations for you, but they are not obligated to (for the OP I think they have to make accomodations for you since you fall within the match rules-otherwise the program would be commiting a match violation). You need to talk to the program NOW.

I hope you are not in my program..just kidding..no really..I hope you are not in my program! :D

yes, because you learn so much in the last month of med school. your whole career depends on it. :smuggrin:

I dont know what state are you going for residency but Im filling right now the Masschussetts limited license papers and it has a section that your school has to fill out IF you are graduating ( walk diploma in hand etc etc) after the start of residency.

You need to check your state license requirements.

It seems like this person HAS completed all requirements but is just pushing graduation; therefore, delaying the date of walking. I dont think it would be a major problem.

need some advice.

thanks

It makes my mind boggle a little when people ask questions like this. Flip it around like this: ask the PD, and say, "I went to an anonymous message board on the internet and I was told <fill in the blank here with whatever good or crazy advice you were given>." What do you think the PD will say? First reaction will either be laughing, angry, or quizzical, and then, likely, the PD will think "How big of a mistake did I make here?"

One thing you guys may all want to do is sit down with your advisor and call the program together. The program directors will likely have lots of questions about what kind of documentation can be provided, how certain is it that you'll graduate when you say you will and what the circumstances behind the issue are. It would add credibility and info for your advisors to be in on the call. For example, if your PD asks for a letter from your Dean clarifying things you can't promise that without going out on a limb while your advisor can make that promise.