I'm Applying for my NY Medical Licensey. I did receive a 'Written Reprimand' at the end of my PGY1 year.. Do I have to report it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdaccount114445

Reaction score
So I received a 'written reprimand' by my Program director at my 1st residency program where I finished my PGY-1 year. Since then as I am towards the end of my PGY3 year, I had no issues.

But there are some questions I need to answer on the FSMB website:

were you ever disciplined or placed under investigation?

were any negative reports for behavioral reasons?

I mean yes I did receive a written reprimand for 'unprofessional behavior,' but I dispute what was said of me. Apparently my program said I was unprofessional and rude and that was documented as a written reprimand. However, the same program gave me a recommendation to get into another residnecy program.

So do I have to report this? I mean ultimately I got credit from the PGY1 program and haven't had problems since.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to ask the program if the reprimand is a reportable incident. Because the program will be sent routine forms to sign off on you having done a year there, with the same question. If reportable, I suggest you do NOT write that you dispute the reprimand. Simple language to the effect of “received a written reprimand for unprofessional behavior at the end of PGY-1. However was given a recommendation letter for my next training program and progressed through training with no further incidents.”

And this will occur everytime you apply for privileges or a license. So it’s important to get the language figured out now. Ideally in concert with the program and to mutually agree on language you will use going forward.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with @LucidSplash , this is reportable. But as long as you own it and word what happened as suggested above, you'll be OK.

If you try to dispute what happened, that is much much more likely to cause you trouble.

Reactions: 2 users
Just reached out to my PD, he said no need to report it as I already did well in the 2nd half of my PGY1 year. He said not to put it. So I’m putting no !

Save that communication from your PD. Hopefully it was written. It ultimately comes down to what programs will report back about you. The problem is if it doesn't match what you report.

Reactions: 1 user
Just reached out to my PD, he said no need to report it as I already did well in the 2nd half of my PGY1 year. He said not to put it. So I’m putting no !

Just to clarify, is this the PD at your current program or the PGY1 program? If it’s not the PGY1 program, you really need to reach out to THAT program, as they are the ones who will make the call on what they report.

Reactions: 3 users
Just to clarify, is this the PD at your current program or the PGY1 program? If it’s not the PGY1 program, you really need to reach out to THAT program, as they are the ones who will make the call on what they report.
Got the news, Hes not going to report anything, he says whatever happened were just little things and I don't have to report Anything. As far as he's concerned, we 'left on good terms.' I'm Putting 'NO.' Thank Goodness.

Reactions: 3 users