Did I just shoot myself in the foot? Am I going to miss the 2014 match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonari

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking my Step 1 at the end of this month. It takes roughly 3 weeks to get the scores back, so we're looking at mid June for my scores to return. From there, another 3 weeks to get setup for clinicals...so we're not into 4th of July weekend. Rotations are 72 weeks long...I'm just wondering, does this mean I'm going to miss the match for 2014?

I tried to find my question by searching, but couldn't. Apologize if it's already been asked. Does a student have to complete all of the rotations and Step 2CK/CK before applying onto ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused. Are you entering your 4th year and just taking step 1 now? Typical pattern is Step 1 between 2nd and 3rd year, step 2 between 3rd and 4th. Regardless, you don't have to take your Step 2 before entering ERAS although it is a good idea to have your score back before programs do their ranking, many will not put you on their final rank list if you do not have a passing score.

Survivor DO

I'm confused. Are you entering your 4th year and just taking step 1 now? Typical pattern is Step 1 between 2nd and 3rd year, step 2 between 3rd and 4th. Regardless, you don't have to take your Step 2 before entering ERAS although it is a good idea to have your score back before programs do their ranking, many will not put you on their final rank list if you do not have a passing score.

Survivor DO

Sorry for the confusion, I'm between my 2nd and 3rd year right now. Taking S1 in 2.5 weeks. Exactly, I want to take my S2 this time next year, so I can have that info into ERAS to build a competitive application, but will taking my S1 in the middle of June hinder me from meeting all the proper deadlines? I don't want to miss the match for next year basically...:)

No. Why would it? Most people take step 1 in June between their 2nd and 3rd year...

just wasn't sure, because i'm an img...so just want to plan accordingly. don't want to have to lose a year because i took the step 1 too late

just wasn't sure, because i'm an img...so just want to plan accordingly. don't want to have to lose a year because i took the step 1 too late

If you have a good step 1 score and depending on which specialty you apply to, you don't HAVE to take step 2 until Sept, Oct, Nov and still apply to residency. So no worries.

If you have a good step 1 score and depending on which specialty you apply to, you don't HAVE to take step 2 until Sept, Oct, Nov and still apply to residency. So no worries.

Yea but as an iMG you will want to have the step 2 result back before ERAS goes out. IMG's have an uphill battle to fight. It is best to have every datapoint possible available and working in your favor.

I'd take Step 2CS right after you finish third year. As long as you're a proficient English speaker, it shouldn't take too long to prepare for it- more than a week and you're overdoing it.

CK- I'd say try to take that by the end of August of your fourth year at the latest. That way the score should be back in time for ERAS. I didn't get to take mine until mid-September and by then I'd submitted without a score.

Yea but as an iMG you will want to have the step 2 result back before ERAS goes out. IMG's have an uphill battle to fight. It is best to have every datapoint possible available and working in your favor.

I'd take Step 2CS right after you finish third year. As long as you're a proficient English speaker, it shouldn't take too long to prepare for it- more than a week and you're overdoing it.

CK- I'd say try to take that by the end of August of your fourth year at the latest. That way the score should be back in time for ERAS. I didn't get to take mine until mid-September and by then I'd submitted without a score.

appreciate the responses. so ill be taking S1 on the 17th of this month. if all things go well with my school, ill hopefully start clinicals 5-7 weeks from that date...so now we're in july 17th...

so end of the 3rd year - 72 weeks from then...we're looking at 18 months so that means january 2015...yikes so i've basically missed the match for 2014...because i have classmates who took the step back in november of 2012...and are going to take S2 sometime next summer

appreciate the responses. so ill be taking S1 on the 17th of this month. if all things go well with my school, ill hopefully start clinicals 5-7 weeks from that date...so now we're in july 17th...

so end of the 3rd year - 72 weeks from then...we're looking at 18 months so that means january 2015...yikes so i've basically missed the match for 2014...because i have classmates who took the step back in november of 2012...and are going to take S2 sometime next summer

You don't have to wait until you finish clinicals to take Step 2. Do IM, Gen Surg, Peds and OB (Psych is easy) and then take it. That's less than 48 weeks of rotations most places (for me it would have been 34 weeks).

Also, what school has 72 weeks of cores? Or are you conflating all the clinical credits you need to graduate with "core clinical rotations"? Because those are different things.

Yeah I'm really confused by your timeline.

Ok, so you're taking Step 1 in mid-June. You'll get your score by early July and start clinicals then. As gutonc says you don't really have to wait until the end of all clinicals to take CS and CK, although it's nice not to have to take either one while you're a third year (since it might take some time to prepare/ CS has to be scheduled months in advance/ they take a full day etc).
Here's where I'm confused. Third year should be over by next July at the latest, why would clinicals be 1.5 years long?! Are you SURE those are all core clerkships for third year?? I've never even heard of that. It would make it 100% impossible for anyone to apply to that year's match, because you'd be done in January before even being able to take any fourth year sub-i's and stuff. I suspect you're saying that you'll have 1.5 years of clinicals TOTAL (including 3rd and 4th year), in which case you can probably take a little time in between the end of third and beginning of fourth year (sub-i's, aways etc) to take Step 2 if you haven't yet, get your personal statement ready etc.

You are fine.

If you take step 1 now, you can start clinicals by late July and/or early August. Usually cores are 42 (from SGU) weeks + 6 weeks of something for our 3rd year. Which means you finish next year 2014 in July. You can either take your CK then, or even before. Depends on your confidence level. You will want to do your CS before though. Preferably after surgery and IM if you can manage it.

That way, by next August you'll be doing or studying for your CK. You might not have your score back by the Sept 15, 2014 ERAS open date, but you will likely have score back before MSPE submission.

2014 match is for July 1, 2015 start. As long as you finish before then, you are good to go. But don't cut it too close to start time. You need time for ECFMG certification by your school.

I'd say take CS relatively soon after CK...it makes preparation much easier.

Jonari I also do not follow your timeline??? You start year 3 in July 2013 + 72 weeks (3rd and 4th year if you do straight through, which is not usual). So you could end by Oct 2014. YES you will miss the 2014 match. 2014 matched mds start working mid June 2014 (orientation than real hospital residency/internship July 1st, 2014). Thus you are really under the gun so to speak.